power steering light has illuminated.

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
leecool
New

power steering light has illuminated.

Post by leecool »

Hi there guys, my wife has a 2007 vw polo dune 9n3, the power steering light is intermittently coming on after about a mile, yet it resets when I turn off the ignition. I've checked the fluid & it's fine, I've inspected the connections on the pump & they look good. I've been trying to find the angle sensor on the steering box but I'm unable to find it. I did find a plastic plug looking thing that clicks into the box it is about 4"long an it is circular at both ends with a cros on each end. The plug connection end of it is just a blank hole, no wires within the connection part of this black plug. it says Tyco 1534371 on it with an audi logo on it too. Any help appreciated.
thankyou
20190215_155850.jpg
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: power steering light has illuminated.

Post by RUM4MO »

With a bit of luck this might only be a battery dying issue or an underperforming charging system.

I’m guessing that the battery light is on when only the ignition is on, and goes out as soon as the car is started?

Which engine is in this car?

Edit:- if you could get it scanned using a scan tool that covers all VW Group car controllers then you should have a better idea of what fault codes are being stored, and that removes some of the guessing, I’m rethinking my suggestion about the battery etc, though starting by making sure that it is okay is a good plan.
leecool
New

Post by leecool »

Hi there, thanks for your reply. I have 1.4tdi pool dune. I have scanned the car and got no fault codes at all. The light comes on within 5 minutes of driving.
I have inspected, but not removed any connections from the pump as they looked in good condition. It's driving me nuts not knowing why it's doing this. I've checked the fuses too and they are all good. The same thing happened on my Audi a 3 that was a 2007 model 2 I honestly believe with the vag group programme the parts to fail at a certain mileage or age. I,m stumped..
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

One thing, what scan tool are you using as only a very few will reveal all the VW Group smart controllers fault codes?

You do know that TDI engined small VW Group cars do tend to end up with damaged/broken leads to/from the alternator so making sure that the battery is always getting/staying charged is very important.

Edit:- that plastic part, it could be that that is just a blanking piece to seal off what used to be the angle sensor, and that that car has foglights that are being used as additional lighting when turning corners slowly - and if so, the new steering sensor will be built into the clockspring assembly under the steering wheel - that is just a guess offered to clear up any confusion as to where the steering angle sensor is located and probably has nothing to do with this problem.