Doesn't Start Well

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
LeonSymnz
New
Drives: 9n3

Doesn't Start Well

Post by LeonSymnz »

When warm, no problem

When cold, it won't start unless I've got my foot on the gas.
After that, it's fine. I can turn it off and it'll fire straight back up.

I've done no diagnosis so far, that's a job for later in the week. It has happened several times now but does start eventually.

I haven't changed anything recently and if anything, it has got warmer than when I first got it!

let me know if anything comes to mind. I'll test the battery when I get a moment. It doesn't sound like it's underperforming but I'll check in any case.

A few thing things I've ruled out in my mind are:
1 - plugs - they are new and it starts and runs fine once it's going
2 - filters - they are new (haven't chagned fuel filter yet...)
3 - fuel leak - my old megane used to have a fuel leak in one of the pipes up by the filter. It would need priming to get it running but I haven't seen anything that looks like a leak so for now, I've ruled that out)
4 - idle speed - I thought perhaps because it needed gas I maybe the idle needs adjusting.

Perhaps the injectors? No warning lights, or anything. No excess smoke when it does eventually start.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Doesn't Start Well

Post by RUM4MO »

First, which engine in case it is significant?

Next, unlike old cars with carbs, pressing down the throttle pedal on a car with fly by wire throttle will not do much, absolutely flooring the throttle pedal and holding it there until the car just catches will, I think, stop fuel being sprayed into the combustion chamber and is provided as a means to "flush out" an flooded engine.

Engine coolant temperature sensor has a significant influence on the start mixture with a cold engine - and a hot one as well.
LeonSymnz
New
Drives: 9n3

Re: Doesn't Start Well

Post by LeonSymnz »

RUM4MO wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:42 pm First, which engine in case it is significant?

Next, unlike old cars with carbs, pressing down the throttle pedal on a car with fly by wire throttle will not do much, absolutely flooring the throttle pedal and holding it there until the car just catches will, I think, stop fuel being sprayed into the combustion chamber and is provided as a means to "flush out" an flooded engine.

Engine coolant temperature sensor has a significant influence on the start mixture with a cold engine - and a hot one as well.
My bad, it's the 1.4 petrol.

Not had an issue the past few days, Still haven't had chance to test the battery, that's on me.