Failed NCT

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
gerinemo
New
Drives: Polo 9n3

Failed NCT

Post by gerinemo »

Hi Folks
Car failed NCT on worn inner tie rod + wishbone Bush front axel rearmost also droplink dust cover
When I look for inner tie rods on micks garage there are 2 different types TRW or SMI-Koyo

The power steering fluid cap says TRW So I can only assume it is the trw ones

I am thinking of replacing both inner tie rods and outer for both sides
Replacing both wishbones and the big wishbone bushes
Droplink's and Antiroll bar bushes

Has anyone used one of these tie rod removal tools are they up to the job ?
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Inner-tie-rod-t ... Sw4vFZ92hg

Or this
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Universal-Inner ... SwKXhcOyDX
Or this
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/S-BJT45-Track-R ... SwWxNYvvf6

Will I also need one of these special extractors for the wish bone bushes
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/S-B290A-8pc-VW- ... SwSrxbRPoB

Cost of parts and Tools is around €300 will have to install myself as can't afford an extra €300 to have the garage do it :-(
What are you thoughts folks
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Failed NCT

Post by RUM4MO »

I have used the last version of tool that you have listed to replace the track rods on a 2002 Polo some years ago, but a word of warning on that, your car will have the TRW steering system, I bought Lemforder replacement rods including TREs from ECPs, that company is part of ZF group of companies and so is TRW, though the aftermarket Lemforder parts are not exactly the same as the original TRW parts.
The first difference is, the O/D of the steering rod knuckle is slightly smaller than the TRW part fitted at the factory, so based on the O/D of the new rod assemblies, I just replaced both sides, I bought a Nielsons version of that tool via ebay. When it arrived, I put the car up on stands and went to replace the first rod - the tool that I bought was just too small to fit over the knuckle - job stopped, which was okay as I did not need to use that car, so I ordered the other size being offered, when it came I removed both rods - now the way these tools work means that they only work over a small range of diameters of rod knuckles, so I think that I would always have needed to buy 2 versions/sizes of these tools. Try to hold the rack while removing/refitting the rod to prevent causing any damage to the internals of the rack as it might not like being twisted! The second difference is that the rod diameter at the point where the protective gaitor small outer clamp fits over is larger, so you can't reuse the outer constant tension clip - I just used a couple of tie wraps - I did replace the larger inner clips with genuine VW Group parts, that is the easiest place to buy these Oetiker clips size 53.

It could be that nowadays, the factory fitted and replacement rods are identical but I'd doubt it unless you bought from VW Group and that costs a fortune.
Also, consider buying a rod removal kit had has 3 sizes/capacities of head that fit to a single "extension bar". If they were available when I first needed to do this job, and I knew that new parts were slightly different size from original, I would have bought that instead.

Replacing the lower wishbone rear voided bush, if it is still the same as the earlier 9N Polo, ie a front<>rear axis voided bush and not the later top<>bottom smaller bush which is same as some Golfs etc, maybe consider fitting a SEAT Ibiza Cupra solid bush - it is tricky to fit - I got a VW Group Indie to do that on my wife's 2002 Polo and these bushes will outlast the car and bring with them vastly improved steering turn in.

Edit:- one annoying thing is, I have recently tidied up my garage and I have binned all old parts removed from cars I no longer own, which makes sense, but then a bit later, I discovered that my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza will need its rods replacing - and that car has the same steering system as the 2002 9N Polo, so as she will trade this car in in a year or so, I would probably have got away with fitting the "good" rod to her car. Typically I've found, it is the RHS rod that fails or fails first, so that the same with your car? It s probably due to the geometry of the steering rack, ie the RHS will give less when taking on an impact from potholes etc.

Another Edit:- one thing to consider when picking a rod removal tool is - ease of access to that position on that car - I have used the last version and it just has enough of a space to fit, how much space the cheaper 2 versions need I can't comment on.
gerinemo
New
Drives: Polo 9n3

Re: Failed NCT

Post by gerinemo »

Thanks for the very detailed reply RUM4MO
Some hard earned pearls of wisdom in there
Cheers
Did the inner ties on my sisters corsa couple of years ago with a stiltson 12"
Not a chance with the polo acess seems more restricted 😯 or im just getting too old
I have 1 month to get it sorted and will update when im done
will see if i can get tool with multiple heads
Thank you