2007 1.4 Polo 9N3 not starting

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
hammers
New
Drives: 2007 1.4 16v Polo 9N3

2007 1.4 Polo 9N3 not starting

Post by hammers »

My first post so apologies if I don't get this quite right. Was wondering if anyone could help diagnose the starting issues on my 2007 1.4 Polo 9N3.

Started car last weekend and drove a few hundred yards until it died on me. Tried jump starting to no avail. Even tried push starting (with the help of a few neighbours) as we rolled car back home, but it would not turn over.

Have checked battery (all good) and changed fuel pump. Although engine cranks just fine she still does not want to turn over.

I am getting fuel and spark with key turned all the way. (Good spark would presumably rule out crank/cam sensors which I've heard can go bad on these). Air filter is almost brand new.

I am stumped, could it be an ignition (switch) related issue? Any assistance thankfully welcomed.

Regards,
Hammers
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: 2007 1.4 Polo 9N3 not starting

Post by RUM4MO »

One error in your wording could be that “not turning over” means not firing, is that correct?

While you say that you are getting fuel injected into the engine, is it still being injected under high pressure or in other words, can you hear the electric fuel pump running while cranking the engine over? If “no” then is the pump relay working okay?

Edit:- engine timing or timing belt might be another aspect to consider.
Lester
Getting There!
Drives: 2008 Polo 9N3 1.4 BUD

Re: 2007 1.4 Polo 9N3 not starting

Post by Lester »

Try scanning it with a scan tool and see if you get any hints from the codes.