Sub wiring from battery to cabin

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Jack_Beytell
New
Drives: 2013 VW Polo 6C R Line

Sub wiring from battery to cabin

Post by Jack_Beytell »

Hi all.

I drive a 2008 VW Polo MK4 Facelift.

I’m new to this whole VW thing so bare with me. I’ve recently purchased a sub for my car and I can’t seem to find a way to get the power cable from the engine bay through to the cabin.

Anyone have any suggestions and/or pictures of possible routes to take? Don’t really want to drill any holes so any grommets or something like that would be better.

Thanks in advance
Ben90
Silver Member
Drives: Olympian Blue Polo TDi Sport

Re: Sub wiring from battery to cabin

Post by Ben90 »

If you haven't solved this already, theres a rubber grommet behind the battery (Right hand side whilst looking at the car) which goes through the bulkhead and ends up in the passenger footwell.

Just make a small cut in it and poke the power wire through and you can run it under the centre console which is fairly easy to lift up.
Jack_Beytell
New

Post by Jack_Beytell »

Hi Ben90

Still haven’t had any luck with it. I’ll take a look for that grommet when I get 5.

Thanks
LeonSymnz
New
Drives: 9n3

Post by LeonSymnz »

Jack_Beytell wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:51 pm Hi Ben90

Still haven’t had any luck with it. I’ll take a look for that grommet when I get 5.

Thanks

The one he is talking about (I think) is the bonnet opening cable hole. They are on both sides, only one is used, hence the need to cut it. (just the tip)
Jack_Beytell
New

Post by Jack_Beytell »

Yeah I’ve noticed that one but can’t seem to find where it enters the cabin from the bulkhead. Any thoughts?
LeonSymnz
New

Post by LeonSymnz »

Jack_Beytell wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:51 pm Yeah I’ve noticed that one but can’t seem to find where it enters the cabin from the bulkhead. Any thoughts?
Behind the glovebox. Complete removal iirc.

You have to lift the carpet a little I think. There is a thread on here somewhere...

edit:
blazeguarder wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:43 pm If you look in the engine bay, on the driver's side near the windscreen, you can see the bonnet release cable coming through a grommet. There is a similar grommet on the passenger side for LHD cars, which is currently unused. Cut the top off this grommet and run the cable into the car behind the glovebox, in the same way that the bonnet release cable enters the cabin on the other side.

Hope this helps, welcome to the forum!

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=51032&p=530818&hil ... et#p530818
Jack_Beytell
New

Post by Jack_Beytell »

Ok thanks. I will take a look on the weekend
LeonSymnz
New

Post by LeonSymnz »

Jack_Beytell wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:44 pm Ok thanks. I will take a look on the weekend
Any luck?

Instead of talking s**t, I gave it a go... honestly, I commend those that have done it. What a pain in the ass

I didn't realise there were two grommets to get through. Got the second off with a screwdriver, couldn't cut it. Going to see how it goes from there, will have a crack at it again later today.

I'm determined to make it work!
Jack_Beytell
New

Post by Jack_Beytell »

Keep me posted on how it goes. Still haven’t found the time to do mine.
Jack_Beytell
New

Post by Jack_Beytell »

Keep me posted on how it goes. Still haven’t found the time to do mine.
LeonSymnz
New

Post by LeonSymnz »

Jack_Beytell wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:47 pm Keep me posted on how it goes. Still haven’t found the time to do mine.
Completed today.

See here for pictures of the wiring. If you need any more, let me now.

https://symnz.com/media/vw_polo/Amp_Wiring

PIcture 1- This is the second grommet. This pulled out by scraping with a screwdriver. Not ideal, but did the job.

Picture 2 & 3 - This is the wire coming into the cabin. I pushed the carpet with a screwdriver, felt for the screwdriver from inside the cabin and then had an idea of where the wire would be. Pushed the wire through and grabbed with my finders.
This is a glovebox out jobbie, but easy enough to do... Had to do it a few times now!

Picture 4 & 5 - Sub is behind my seat on the floor. Ran the cable under the centre console. Had to undo a few bits but gave it a clean while it was apart. It definitely needed it!

All that is left is to run an ignition live. That's easy enough.

One issue I've come accross is grounding.

Haven't found a decent point yet. I used one of the seat bolts but despite scraping away, I'm getting volt drops. When grounded on unpainted metal, it's working fine.

Any suggestions? Otherwise, I'll use my Dremel to clean it up properly.

Off the weekend so I'll have another play then.