New headunit? A bit confused...

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
NullChips
New
Drives: 2007 9N3 1.4, Black

New headunit? A bit confused...

Post by NullChips »

Hi everyone - recently became a proud owner of a Polo 9N3!

However, I'm currently pretty confused as to what I need to do in order to get an aftermarket headunit fitted to replace the stock RCD200 model which is currently installed. To be specific, I'm looking at getting an Atoto A6, listed here on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ATOTO-Android- ... 58529&th=1

I've seen a bit of a mismatch of information about the kit I need in order to get this to work. At the moment, I'm looking at this kit on eBay which includes a fascia, radio aerial adapter, keys to remove the current headunit and an ISO adapter wiring harness. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Polo-MK4- ... ctupt=true

I'm reasonably competent with general electronics but this is my first venture into trying any sort of work on a car.

So the things that I'm confused about are:
1 - Do I need the wiring harness - I've heard in some places that the current connectors on the RCD200 can just go straight into a normal headunit?
2 - The page on eBay states that the loose red wire needs to be connected to an ignition feed - where can I find an ignition feed, is it easy to get to and would I require any other parts to do this (other than crimps or the like)? I'm assuming this is so that the headunit automatically turns on and off when the car turns on and off, as I've seen a couple of people
3 - I've seen a couple of people say that the red and yellow wires need to be reversed. Is this a case of where people have just plugged in the connections from the RCD200 straight into the new unit? If so, would the harness on eBay do this job anyway (so it's just plug and play)?
4 - I've also seen a CANBUS adapter which supposedly does all of this automatically and is purely plug and play... Which version will I need? I've seen mixed messages between the CTSVW002 and the CTSVW003 with some saying that only the CTSVW003 works with the 9n3 despite being marketed towards the Touareg instead of the Polo.

Any help is appreciated - if there's anything else I should know then shout! :)
Thanks
gerinemo
New
Drives: Polo 9n3

Re: New headunit? A bit confused...

Post by gerinemo »

First thing that springs to mind
The link to the ebay wiring harness is a quadlock to ISO adapter
The canbus adapter is also quadlock to ISO so you don't need to buy both if you get this one you will still need the fakra aerial adapter separately

However the headunit you linked to from what I can see is not ISO ( the wiring output ) so would you have to chop and re solder the ISO wiring

my understanding is that the canbus adapter was to prevent battery drainage issues

A switched live can be found at the cigarette lighter

Also on my polo 9n3 there are no rear door speakers nor any wiring for same so if you intend to put speakers in rear you will have to run cables to the rear doors

Best of luck with your project :-)
NullChips
New

Post by NullChips »

gerinemo wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:11 am First thing that springs to mind
The link to the ebay wiring harness is a quadlock to ISO adapter
The canbus adapter is also quadlock to ISO so you don't need to buy both if you get this one you will still need the fakra aerial adapter separately

However the headunit you linked to from what I can see is not ISO ( the wiring output ) so would you have to chop and re solder the ISO wiring

my understanding is that the canbus adapter was to prevent battery drainage issues

A switched live can be found at the cigarette lighter

Also on my polo 9n3 there are no rear door speakers nor any wiring for same so if you intend to put speakers in rear you will have to run cables to the rear doors

Best of luck with your project :-)
Thanks for that. I've been away for a bit, but in that time have got it pretty much figured out, Just one more thing however.

I'll be ignoring going the canbus adapter route and instead be taking a switched live from the fuse box by the drivers door by tapping into a fuse. However, I'm just wondering in advance of having all the parts here, how to physically run this wire from the fuse box to the back of the headunit? Do I need to take the entire dash and center console trim off to achieve this? Other removing the couple of panels that are in front of and to the side below the fuse box, I can't see any other easy access points for routing the cable. Just thought I'd ask before I end up unnecessarily taking apart the entire dash.

Cheers
LeonSymnz
New
Drives: 9n3

Post by LeonSymnz »

I'll get you some photos of what I've done tomorrow if I remember.

I ran mine off of the wiper fuse, towards the dash through a hole. Under the dash and up through into the head unit.

It's loose but it does the job... doesn't dangle down.
I could fix it up, but I've just pulled it out in preparation to fit my sub.
NullChips
New

Post by NullChips »

LeonSymnz wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 1:24 am I'll get you some photos of what I've done tomorrow if I remember.

I ran mine off of the wiper fuse, towards the dash through a hole. Under the dash and up through into the head unit.

Did you manage to grab any pics in the end? No worries if not. :)
LeonSymnz
New

Post by LeonSymnz »

NullChips wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:11 pm
LeonSymnz wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 1:24 am I'll get you some photos of what I've done tomorrow if I remember.

I may have forgotten...

Anyway, here you go:
https://symnz.com/media/vw_polo/Ignition_Live
Click the image to enlarge.

The third one, you can see the wire dangling.
You can tape it up or something. Mine is hanging while I get other stuff installed.
Got an amp and speakers to finish the wiring. I'll get that done and make a new thread about it...at some point.
Last edited by LeonSymnz on Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NullChips
New

Post by NullChips »

LeonSymnz wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:23 pm
NullChips wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:11 pm

I may have forgotten...

Anyway, here you go:
https://symnz.com/media/vw_polo
Click the image to enlarge.

The third one, you can see the wire dangling.
You can tape it up or something. Mine is hanging while I get other stuff installed.
Got an amp and speakers to finish the wiring. I'll get that done and make a new thread about it...at some point.
Amazing, thanks a tonne for that. Now feeling far more confident in getting it all hooked up!
LeonSymnz
New

Post by LeonSymnz »

NullChips wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:25 pm Amazing, thanks a tonne for that. Now feeling far more confident in getting it all hooked up!

Honestly, it's a piece of cake!

Just don't plug the fuse bit in first... you may cause a short.

I can't show the other end yet. Let me know if you need it but the adapter for the radio has a red lead that should have a connector on. I recommend soldering it, but as I knew I was gonna play around more, I used a connector.

Your choice.
NullChips
New

Post by NullChips »

LeonSymnz wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:36 pm
NullChips wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:25 pm Amazing, thanks a tonne for that. Now feeling far more confident in getting it all hooked up!

Honestly, it's a piece of cake!

Just don't plug the fuse bit in first... you may cause a short.

I can't show the other end yet. Let me know if you need it but the adapter for the radio has a red lead that should have a connector on. I recommend soldering it, but as I knew I was gonna play around more, I used a connector.

Your choice.
The adapter I'm feeling fine with, gonna use a crimp to put them together, so no problem there. Final question though, just curious about what you mean with a short from the fuse bit? I know that the fuse taps have to be put in a certain way around, so I'm assuming that's what you mean?
LeonSymnz
New

Post by LeonSymnz »

NullChips wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:43 pm
The adapter I'm feeling fine with, gonna use a crimp to put them together, so no problem there. Final question though, just curious about what you mean with a short from the fuse bit? I know that the fuse taps have to be put in a certain way around, so I'm assuming that's what you mean?
I think I meant make it spark.
Not sure if it'll short it, probably just f**k the fuse.

Nah, should fit either way. I've not had issues the way I put it. It's like putting a fuse the wrong way, won't make a difference.

Crimping will work fine. Soldering is just a perm solution.