9N3 1.4 TDI won’t start after replacing blown fuse F14

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
gjaf
New
Drives: 9N3 1.4 TDI Match 70

9N3 1.4 TDI won’t start after replacing blown fuse F14

Post by gjaf »

Hi, I own a 2009 9n3 1.4tdi 70 with what I’m pretty sure is a BWB engine. I was driving recently when I thought the car went into limp mode. I switched the engine off and then tried to turn back on again, but it turned over for ages before starting and the engine warning light came on. I thought the issue might be the anti stutter valve, so I took it off and cleaned it, using the access to partly clean the EGR while I was at it. While both seemed to be in need of a clean, this didn’t solve the problem, so I got the error codes read and among five faults was the cam position sensor. I’ve replaced the sensor and the error code related to that is now cleared, but I’m still left with three errors and the long turnover before starting. The error codes are:
P2102: throttle actuator control motor- circuit low
P0243: turbo watergate solenoid A
P0489: EGR control circuit low

These can be cleared while the engine is on, but reappear at every start. Given the long turnover, I’ve been fighting a chronically low battery and haven’t been able to do any long or high speed runs since cleaning the anti-stutter and EGR.

I’ve resigned myself to selling, but would prefer to get the faults cleared before attempting to. Any words of wisdom?
Last edited by gjaf on Thu May 16, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gjaf
New

Re: 9N3 1.4 TDI Long startup with error codes

Post by gjaf »

Turns out fuse F14 had blown - i’ve replaced it, but now the car starts, but only when I push in the throttle but dies immediately. I now get no fault codes, but if I take out fuse F14, it’ll start but all the error codes return. Any suggestions would be really helpful!
gjaf
New

Re: 9N3 1.4 TDI won’t start after replacing blown fuse F14

Post by gjaf »

Could it be that the throttle butterfly valve’s still sticking after cleaning, or that I need to do some process to reset / relearn the position?
gjaf
New

Post by gjaf »

Still looking for solutions to this problem and would appreciate any help people could offer please

Current status: battery seems to be draining quickly and failing to charge with fuse F14 replaced (drained to almost nothing while left standing, had it on charge over the weekend with barely any power increase). I think the new camshaft position sensor may be causing the immediate stall at startup. Apparently the camshaft position sensor (hall sender?) is also on fuse F14, so may not have required replacement in the first place. Intake manifold seems to be working fine. There is a small nick in #2 vac line, which will need repair - temporary fix didn't last long, but temporary repair didn't seem to help.

Current hypothesis: something has blown fuse F14 and is now causing a short with fuse F14 in - not sure what this may be.
Crankcase breather heater?
Secondary air pump relay?

Next steps:
try to identify short - help required please
try removing fuse F14, charging battery, replacing original camshaft position sensor, replacing fuse F14, attempting to start.
Any other ideas?
Tanker_34
New
Drives: 2006 Mk4F w/1.9L 100PS TDi engine

Post by Tanker_34 »

I'll look into mine and see how it looks when everything's working fine, and will search for potential causes of shortcircuits near fuse F14. I'll report if I find something!