Where on earth is my pilot bearing?!

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Josh d
New
Drives: 9n 1.2

Where on earth is my pilot bearing?!

Post by Josh d »

9n3 polo 2006 1.2. Got a faulty gearbox. I don't know exactly what the problem is so I removed it from the car. Bought a new gearbox and a brand new clutch kit. Whilst gearbox was out I thought I'd replace the pilot bearing. So I removed the flywheel but for the life of me cannot see where the pilot bearing goes. I feel so dumb. Usually the pilot bearing sits in the end of the crankshaft, right? So where is mine? Any help would be great. Im so confused. Maybe I have It all wrong. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Attachments
IMG-20190610-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20190610-WA0003.jpg
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Where on earth is my pilot bearing?!

Post by RUM4MO »

I think that pilot bearings went out of fashion, one thing less to bother about, well on same makers/models of cars, maybe there is more trust in gearboxes nowadays so that support is not required?

Edit:- did you manage to buy a new bearing/bush from VW?
Josh d
New
Drives: 9n 1.2

Post by Josh d »

Ahh that makes perfect sense now you've said it because I actually didn't manage to find new bearings. I looked everywhere online, and locally, but nothing. I started assuming they were just hard to find but obviously from what your saying they are old fashioned and not used now. Thanks for your reply, now I can put the new gearbox on. Don't suppose you can provide me a rough explanation of how they work without bearings?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

As I am a bit long in the tooth, I'd cynically think "not as well as it would if it did still have a pilot bearing/bush"!