Newbie question?

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
2Dcadman
New
Drives: 2006 9N3 1.4 Polo SE

Newbie question?

Post by 2Dcadman »

Hi everyone

Newbie to this forum so hope my question is a genuine one!

I have recently completed a project to bring a much neglected 2006 1.4 16v Polo 3 door SE back to its former glory. So much that the wife and I have just completed over 1100 miles over 10 days in a UK road trip. Car ran like a dream, never missed a beat! Upon return I noticed that the oil level had dropped considerably. Following much research on this excellent forum and others it would appear to be a common issue with these BKY tappy engines. Upon looking for the Oil Breather Separator I noticed that there appeared to be a component/ hose missing in close proximity to where I plan to remove the part and associated hoses for closer inspection
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I have looked through my Haines manual and a brief look on line with no results. This 13yr old car has only got 35k on the clock and prior to me taking ownership of the car, the previous (JB) owner had just put the car through a hedge in a local country lane and the passenger side front took the brunt of the impact! Luckily the Air bags did not deploy but the gearbox inspection cover and inner driveshaft CV boot required replacing. Along with front bumper, slam panel, near side front wing and substantial repair to passenger door and sill.

Sorry to waffle but any help would be greatly appreciated. Happy to provide any further info/pics if that helps.

Many thanks.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Newbie question?

Post by RUM4MO »

Good for you sorting out that car!

I should not be posting without knowing all the facts, but, I just wonder if that point in that plastic assembly if only there for some other models, and that it is not being used on that car, ie the "hole" looks like it is closed, so if used that hole would get cut open then some thing bolted on to it - just a thought, that is all.

Using too much oil with these engines tended to be caused by a failing oil separator - I replaced that on a 2002 Polo and it cut back its oil consumption dramatically.
2Dcadman
New
Drives: 2006 9N3 1.4 Polo SE

Re: Newbie question?

Post by 2Dcadman »

Hi there RUM4MO

Thanks for your reply. I had considered that option but just wanted confirmation really. That was the corner of the car that took the most damage so my thoughts were around losing a fitting and hose and I wasn't aware. I have a work colleague with a similar model Polo so can confirm your point by having a look over that.

Planning to check out the oil breather in the next few days.

Thanks again.