Bizarre Wiper Problem - Help!

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Aus_UK
New
Drives: 2009 9N3 1.4TDI

Bizarre Wiper Problem - Help!

Post by Aus_UK »

Hi guys,

I have a 2009 (Mk7 9N3) and has had an intermittent problem with the front wipers for a little while. 90% of the time the wipers work fine on all settings. However sometimes the wipers will just stop randomly. Turning the stalk off and on doesn't seem to immediately do anything and then they will randomly start working again. Usually within about 5-10 minutes. When they have stopped working, when you push the stalk up to turn them on you can hear the quiet click but nothing happens. I'm not sure but it seems to happen more at higher speeds (60-70mph) but this may not be related. It's annoying that it seems so random so is harder to pinpoint.

If it is possibly connected at all, the car has had an issue where the drivers side door window has stopped working momentarily (This has only happened twice so may not be connected but seems worth mentioning.)

Where would be best to start? Has anyone experienced anything like this? I've read about the more common issue of the wipers coming on randomly but not the other way round as much.

Cheers!
Austin
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Bizarre Wiper Problem - Help!

Post by RUM4MO »

Make sure that any/all relevant fuses are intact and fitted fully first of all.

To be honest, if you are able to do so, I'd start by checking that all the linkage and spindles are still free to move and that there is not a serious bit of friction causing the wiper motor to over heat and switch off to protect itself and its wiring. If that does nothing, my next move would be to remove and open up the wiper motor to check that brushes etc ate still okay inside it as well as the drive system and any switches internal to the motor. After that I'd check the wiring and maybe buy a used steering wheel switch assembly. The final part of the system is the most expensive and that is the BCM CCM that provides the switching and power to the wiper.