Pioneer head unit install - a little help?

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
PugBrothers
Getting There!
Drives: Mk7 (9n3) 1.4Tdi Bluemotion 1

Pioneer head unit install - a little help?

Post by PugBrothers »

I am about to install a Pioneer SPH-230DAB in my Polo 1.4 2009 (a late 9n3) and would love to hear any last-minute pointers. With a bit of luck I'll do a photo tutorial on here for anyone in my situation further down the line. It's been a struggle finding anything good online for a car as sold as this

I’ve got a bunch of questions before I install it this weekend:

1. I'm debating whether or not to install one of those stick-on DAB aerials, but getting behind the glovebox looks a bit fiddly - does anyone have any experience with this? Are they worth the hassle? I figure I'll have access to DAB via my phone and carplay, but it seems a shame to not to take advantage of the head unit.

2. Rather than mess around with any wire cutting or fuse piggybacking, I’ve bought this under the assumption it's plug-and-play without any dodgy wiring:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

Does anyone have any experience with these? Is it literally a case of matching up the plugs and away we go?

3. There’s a USB extender that comes out the back of the head unit which needs to be fed out through the car - does anyone have any ideas how to make this look slightly cleaner than having a random usb wire hanging around my footwell? Is there somewhere a little more obvious to bring it out without drilling any holes?

Absolutely any wisdom at all would be massively appreciated - sorry for the wall of text!

Have a good week all!