Strange (common?) central locking/electric windows problem

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Bongoboy
New
Drives: POLO 9N3

Re: Strange (common?) central locking/electric windows problem

Post by Bongoboy »

My Polo has exactly the same issue, truth be told it has been there for over two years. My issue seems to be weather related in that it works fine for 7-8 months of the year never missing a beat, when there is less rain than normal, and for 4-5 months of the year, during the winter the problem is there all the time.

That being said the issue has not rectified itself after the winter of 2019 and is there all of the time so this is prompting me to start investigating again. I have the same fault as the OP: -

• Only drivers door unlocks from that side with key, but interior light doesn’t come on.
• If all doors unlocked, only drivers door locks from drivers side with key and no alarm LED.
• All doors unlock from passenger side with key and interior light comes on
• All doors lock from passenger side, alarm LED on drivers side lock button flashes and interior light goes out.
• All doors lock and unlock using internal button on drivers door card
• Electric windows do not operate from drivers door switches
• Passenger electric window operates from passenger side switch*

*This only operates when I unlock the car from the passenger side.

If I disconnect the car battery for 5 to 10 minutes and reconnect it all works for a short period before failing again. Firstly I checked fuses and all OK. I have taken the wiring loom out of the door and inspected it on the bench for damage and belled out all the connections on it and its fine. All other connections appear to be tight and no sign of corrosion, loose connections etc behind the door card.

From memory the wiring runs from the door latch to the window regulator before joining the wiring loom to the main body of the car so it may be the door latch or window regulator at fault? I will try this week to borrow from my friend his vagcom setup so I can interrogate the car, test the micro switch in the door latch etc.

I wonder if I could take the window regulator from the passenger side and temporarily connect it overnight to the drivers side door latch to see if its this at fault to eliminate the electronics and connector from the drivers side window regulator?
Bongoboy
New

Post by Bongoboy »

trpolo wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:00 pm A further update on my May 1st post.
I've now removed the door lock mechanism and all the microswitches are working.
I've traced the remaining wires and they are all in continuity.
I crossed my fingers and put everything back together and ..... no change!
Same issues:
Drivers door key lock doesn't lock/unlock central locking - passenger door key lock does.
Central locking switch on inside of car on driver's door works normally.
Driver's side electric window switches do not operate either window.
Dismantled driver's side electric window switches - all contacts clean and working.
Passenger side electric window switch works ok.
Tested relay on electric window PCB module on driver's side - working ok.
No visible dry solder joints on PCB.

Any suggestions what to try next?
Given you have looked at the door lock mechanism basic operation I wonder if it points more to the window regulator?
trpolo
New

Post by trpolo »

I wondered about doing what bongoboy suggested re swapping boards - will you let us know if that works?
Bongoboy
New

Post by Bongoboy »

Will do. I need to bottom this out. I've a lot on at the moment so it may be a week or two. Also I'm not really using the car with everything that's going on just now so less emphasis at the moment...
chris7daly
New
Drives: 07

Post by chris7daly »

Hey Guys,

Has anyone resolved this I am having a very similar issue.

During the summer seems fine
During the the last few winters it all started to go wrong and this winter seems to be worse ever as Windows/Drivers Central locking does not work any more.
  • Passenger door lock controls all locks and red light on drivers door comes on.
    Drivers door does not control central locking
    Windows stop working the exact same time as the driver door central locking stops working.
    The door lock on driver door lock all locks but the close and open immediately
    Windows cannot be operated from drivers or passenger door

Had car with Auto Electrician who thinks the issue is likely the Window Regulator in Drivers door so plan to get this done. Due to Covid we cannot get the part so will take a few weeks, if all goes well ill update the forum.