Tyre size advice sought to solve sliding/poor handling

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
iluvmypolo
New
Drives: Bluemotion 1.4 TDI 80HP 9n3

Tyre size advice sought to solve sliding/poor handling

Post by iluvmypolo »

I've only had my Polo for a few months and am experiencing wheel spins and sliding even at low speeds - and it just doesnt seem right to me - so wanted to seek advice from other on tyre sizes before I go out and buy a new set.

THE PROBLEM: The problem is most apparant when I'm accelerating out of a roundabout (even at low speeds of around 10 mph) - this causes both wheel spin and sideways sliding simultaneously and it scares me a lot - and thats when its dry in the summer. In the wet, I might just as well be driving on an ice rink.

MY TYRES: The tyres are Nankang EX-601 175/60/R14 69H (which I understand are at the higher end of the cheaper brands). They are summer tyres and are slightly wider than the factory stock/recommened size of 165/70/R14. I understand the Bluemotion tyres are narrower than other Polos to take advantage of the better fuel economy from lower rolling resistance. The tyres dont look that old and have plenty of tread and are probably only a 1/4 way through their life. Tyre pressure are fine (Ive experimented with under and over inflating by a few PSI - but the problem is still evident).

I would like to upgrade the tyres to a premium brand (though not through choice but because I think with handling this poor - its going to need it!). I would appreciate other's advice on whether to go for the factory/stock size of 165/70/R14 or whether to get even wider tyres than the current ones (the handbook says I can go up 185 width) but after some Googling, I get the impression that wider tyres actually worsen grip - especially in wet weather - hence Im very tempted to for the stock size.

My priority is with safety rather than fuel economy - especilly in the wet. I dont drive much at all in the winter but would probably go with all season tyres anyway just to be on the safe side (those summer downpours after hot periods turn the roads into an ice rink anyway).

I would really appreciate any advice or similar experiences from others.
polo1.9TDI SPORT
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 1.9 Tdi Sport

Re: Tyre size advice sought to solve sliding/poor handling

Post by polo1.9TDI SPORT »

Hi, welcome to the forum,

Not too many polo 9n3 owners left I don't think, maybe wrong.

I have a polo 1.9TDi and have had the very same issues this year predominantly as well.
felt like the car was going to let go of the road at speeds from 10mph to 30mph.
I had the following checked at multiple garages.

Tyres- New on front, plenty of tread on back. I run Falkens all round and are great.

Tyre Pressure - all fine

Suspension - All checked no problems

Bushes (Rubbers) - slight cracking but not loose or damaged to cause the issues.

Sway bars - all good and doing the job.

Tracking - Got it done felt some improvement. Maybe a placebo or maybe it did help.

I got a few mechanics to take the car out and no one could identify an issue. Basically as a driver you know your car.

Finally a few of my mates also noted this issue in numerous different cars and different specs of cars.
Final conclusion we all agreed on was tyres not being warm, but cold when the feeling occurs and oil/diesel/petrol on the roads causing a slippy surface.

Might not be related to your issues but I did find that the final conclusion rings true for me here anyway!
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Post by Bepis »

On my 1.2 9N, I had 185/65/14 (Sao Paulo alloys) Toyo Proxes CF2 and don't think I ever broke traction in that car but it was only the 1.2 but it had other issues which I think reduced its power output.

On my 1.4 9N3, I'm currently running 195/55/15 (Charade alloys) Yokohama Advan V701's and have broke traction only when pulling away quick on wet greasy roads and only understeered when swerving to avoid a fairly large pheasant at 60 on a dual carriageway but I don't have ESP so I wasn't really surprised.

On the Toyos I ran 32PSI all around, on the Yokohamas I run 30PSI at the front and 28PSI at the rear which I'll up to 32 with a boot full of stuff. I found the slightly higher PSI helped with the poor roads around where I live and the 28PSI stated in the fuel filler cap was very comfortable but any form of "spirited" driving the steering felt vague.

Hope that helps :)
Last edited by Bepis on Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
iluvmypolo
New
Drives: Bluemotion 1.4 TDI 80HP 9n3

Post by iluvmypolo »

Thanks very much to Bepis and polo 1.9TDI sport for taking the time to provide some valuable information. I thnk Bepis may have a very good point about the tyres being cold because the problem is definitely noticeable at the start of my journeys..although I havent really paid much attention to the behaviour after a longer run when the tyres are warmed up (because by then, I'm driving extremely cautiously - so theres less chance of it happening). Next time I do a longer trip when the tyres are warmed up, I will 'test them out' and report back here for the benefit of other owners. Will also get the garage to check over things and report back on any differences I notice when the tyres are changed.. hopefully before Christmas. Once again, many thanks.. its reassuring to know that others have experienced this issue.