Which Timing chain kit is REALLY the right one?

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Bzg tinkerer
New
Drives: 1.2 12v BZG engine

Which Timing chain kit is REALLY the right one?

Post by Bzg tinkerer »

Firstly, Hello all, I'm new here and hope Im not breaking the rules for newbies.
But I'm at a loss searching for the correct chain. The more I read, the less sense it makes :oops:
I drive a 1.2 12v BZG engine, and cross references of the limited OEM numbers I find aren't helping.
I find parts with 2 different numbers in the listing, one of which I've been advised is definitely wrong.. With little explanation. This leads to insecurity even if I have 90 links, or 130 links. A huge difference I know, but am resistant to opening it up to check, only to redo it when I have the parts to hand.
There is further concern over reading that the earlier chains were weak, causing catastrophic failure when they jump. I also only find examples of oems ending with an 'A', but am led to believe an updated part would have say a 'B' at the end. Really would hate to fit an inferior part understandably.
To conclude: Online suppliers are convinced it's a 90 link chain, my local parts stockist suggests a 130 link piece, VW avoid the question, and not yet mentioned... VIN searches are hit an miss. Etka for example, turn up a blank.

My belief, my hope, is that someone knows my pain, the answer, and the OEM numbers 😂

I look forward to a chat