EPC Warning Light

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Matty74061
New
Drives: Mark 4 face lift (9n3)

EPC Warning Light

Post by Matty74061 »

Hi new to the forum,
I have a vw polo 9n3 2006 and the other day the EPC warning light came on. The car seemed to run fine and I couldn't hear any strange noises coming from the engine. I plugged it in and scanned the car using vagcom but now faults came up. Any idea on what it is or how to fix it? Any help is appreciated thanks.
AntVeeW
New
Drives: Polo Mk4 (9n3)

Re: EPC Warning Light

Post by AntVeeW »

I had an intermittent EPC with no other lights when I first got my Polo. Ended up being a dirty throttle body in my case, but symptoms were either the car would drive ok but with some lag on the throttle, or I’d be put into limp mode and the car wouldn’t rev over 3k RPM. Some brake cleaner and a wire brush got the throttle body looking fresh out of the factory, and haven’t had an issue since. Since EPC stands for Electronic Power Control, it’ll be something in that system (Throttle Pedal, Throttle Position Sensor, Throttle Body, wiring from pedal to throttle body. I’d also recommend checking your spark plugs and coils as a precaution as mine was also running on 5-year old plugs when it came into my possession - very clever previous owner). Very surprised vagcom/VCDS isn’t providing you any codes, I’d say definitely try again, as I was able to pull a P0221 - Throttle Position Sensor code from a basic scan tool.