Storing a GT...GT40....and stuff

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
minis84
Bronze Member

Storing a GT...GT40....and stuff

Post by minis84 »

Hey,

I'm starting up my own business soon, and have to have another vehicle, so the GT is unfortunately no longer able to be used (got nowhere to keep it at present). I was going to sell it, but can't bring myself to do it (again!), so instead I'm going to dry store it.

Couple of things....will the ECU and other electronickery cope with having the battery disconnected for the best part of a year, maybe longer?

It will be stored on axle stands with the wheels removed, is there anything else I should do before putting it to bed? With the Mini I'd usually squirt some oil down each of the bores, make sure wiring isn't too exposed (don't want any mice eating my car), and make sure fluid levels are topped up. Anything else? Obviously I'll drain and refill all fluids before restarting the car whenever that will be.

Another daft question, if I G40 convert a GT, does it become a GT40? :lol:

Oh yeah, and are there any Safety Devices (or similar) bolt/weld in roll cages available for the Mark 3? When I bring it out of hibernation its going to become a slight monster :evil:

Thanks very much!

Tom
polog40racer
Bronze Member

Post by polog40racer »

yeah im pretty sure they do a rollcage for a mk3 polo.

My nutty G40 turboy racer thingy is currently back in Derby at the moment in my parents garage at Spondon. Good to have two nutty polos here!
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

Storage ideas sound fine. ECU will be fine with no power. Maybe a bit of WD40 down the bores to stop moisture, although frost do a special moisture absorbtion kit that goes in place of the plugs.

Keep the interior clean, dry and moisture free. Get some silica gel sachets or something as moisture makes the interior mouldy. Should be fine if you garage is dry though.
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

When you say Dry Store, are you referring to the storage place, or to removing the engine & brake fluids? I think I saw that mentioned somewhere but will leave it to the more experienced projectifying bods to have final say there. Don't want your cooling system/brake lines rotting or anything as the stuff ages and stagnates from lack of use, or the petrol going bad (though its probably best to leave the oil in).

Also I'd be wary of making any assumptions about the moisture content of the place unless it's got a pretty good damp-free guarantee, and would chuck some silica sachets inside the car (and in the wheel wells, maybe :D) ... as i can tell you it's quite a sight coming back to a car you thought was dry only to see the interior festooned with white furriness! (didn't think it was possible!) ... go grovel at the local shoeshop or furnishings megastore (sofa's come with HUEUUGE packs) or something, i can't think where else to get 'em...
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

I think you can get large quantities from Caravan retailers. They usually stand for long periods of time without use.
minis84
Bronze Member

Post by minis84 »

yeah, dry storing, but all fluids will remain, and will be changed before the car is re-run. Whilst its off the road I plan to drain the braking system fully and replace the fluid with dot 5.1 silicon stuff (isn't hydroscopic and won't damage paintwork + higher resistance to overheating). Stale fuel I'm aware of, I'll simply leave the tank almost empty, then replace the fuel filter before re-starting, to allow for any rust build up due to condensation.

As for the dryness of the garage, I'm not too sure yet, but I have some fairly hefty silica gel bags in stock at home, so shouldn't be a problem keeping it dry. Might even buy one of those small car de-humidifiers too - we'll see.

I'll have a look at the Frost website, they've got some good stuff on there...thanks Dan.

Oh, and yeah, will be great to have another nutty G40'ish Polo in Derby again, I've actually just moved out of my house in Spondon, living in Sawmills now (just down from Ripley), but still have friends and stuff local to there, so will be around a fair bit :)