scratches in paintwork

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
xcoupe
New

scratches in paintwork

Post by xcoupe »

Hi im wondering how to fix chips and scratches in the paintwork and could someone help it would be greatly appreciated as im not very clued up on this area. The previous owner of my polo mk3 removed the plastic side strips without melting the glue leaving big chips and sctatches i know i will need a touch up pen but how do i blend it into the origianl paintwork also after fixing rust spots would i need to t-cut after laquering the sprayed area?? cheers :)
Matty2021
Bronze Member

Post by Matty2021 »

Id recommend t-cutting the whole car first...you may find that some of the scratches come out after this, itll give you an idea of exactly how many scratches your looking at. I know you can get a polish (made by turtle wax i think) that has a colour in the polish, this can help get rid of a fair few scratches as well.

As for touching up, touch up pens tend to stand out...i'm not sure if theres a way to blend them in. If you were to get things sprayed, body shops tend to do whole panels rather than just odd spots because you can see where its been sprayed if you just do a patch.

I think you can get a "blow over" which is a couple of coats of colour sprayed over the current paint. This could work to get out the scratches, and i don't think it prooves too expensive.

Hope this helps even if just a little :)
Mk2Adam
Platinum Member

Post by Mk2Adam »

i had a couple scratches on my car when i 1st got it, and i used turtle wax colour magic, comes with something called a chipstick which looks like lip stick and you rub it into the scratch and then use the coloured wax over the top....after a few go's at it like this they've either been completely sorted or nearly done, maybe needs another attempt...obviously it's no sub for a re-spray but i only wanted to protect and make it less obvious as they were too big for t-cut.

hope that helped a lil bit :D
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

Just be careful when using t-cut
Matty2021
Bronze Member

Post by Matty2021 »

Yeah! Aswell id advise against using an electric polisher/buffer for the t cut as they have a habit of cutting right thru paint to primer lol