many things have changed

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
polo pete
Getting There!

many things have changed

Post by polo pete »

hello there people. just thought i would update on the polo. aint been on here over past couple of weeks cos ive been grafting away on the polo.heres a few pics. i would to hear your feed back on whats been done
heres the mods.
new dash
relocated front speakers to the centre console
new ali door cards with mini door mechanisms.
new wheels. (the tyres will be changed when i got some money)
lowered.
Chally_Rai
Sponsor

Post by Chally_Rai »

looking good 8)
Coops
Getting There!

Post by Coops »

lovin the keyring chain! :P
PoloPower
Getting There!

Post by PoloPower »

Were did your dash come form ?? It works soo well !

I want i want !
polo pete
Getting There!

Post by polo pete »

all i did is found another polo at my local scrappy. took the dash out. sanded it down with 240grit.plastic primed it. high build primed it 3 times. guided coated it. sanded it down with 400grit til smooth. high build primed again and sanded it down in the same process. degreased it then appilied one coat of white wet-on-wet primer. then two coats of white ground coat then two coats of blue pearl then two coats of lacquer. it was a long process but well worth it in the end. alot of people take notice of it which is good.its not everyday that you see a white dash. thanks for the comment mate you should do it.
Aphex
Bronze Member

Post by Aphex »

alu door cards..... talk to me
beemer
New

Post by beemer »

That is soo soooo soooooo nice! Well done with that, really individual and just nice :lol:
aroncmc22
New

Post by aroncmc22 »

That is an impressive job you've done with the dash mate, not too sure about the mirrors though. Are you keeping the seats cos i could do with a set of those parade covers?
polo pete
Getting There!

Post by polo pete »

well the mirrors were only £10 and when i was doing the body work money was a bit of a issue, well still is really. i fancy gettin some of those cali style ones from demon tweeks but its just havin the money if you no what i mean. ive tried to budget myself with project if i can. only spent about £1200 on it thats include the price of the car coz if done all the work myself. it helps alot being a sprayer. the seats im keeping until i can get hold of some g40 or gti seats and get them re-trimmed.
the alu door cards where a bugger but well worth it. if you wanna do it i would get everything you need before you start.
the parts i used-
two sheets of alu 1.5 mm thick
mini door mechanisms and interior handles
mini pull handles.
wolfsburg window winders form germany.
a length of gas welding wire. youll need it for the release wire going from the mini mechanism to the door lock.
leather piping from my local re-trimmer.
stainless steel counter sunk screws.

next bit take the door card off removing all uncessary clips, door release handle etc etc. then comes the fun bit theres the bulgey bit the middle of the door you gotta cut all of that out up to the point where the door release handle was. you gotta leave that bit for the mini one. then using a hammer and dolly, hammer any other bulges and curved metal flat.
you need to space out the window regulater using longer 10mm bolts and washers else it will stick out like i saw thumb.cut the alu so it sits in the recess of the door but except the bottom you dont want that nasty looking vent showing.measure out where you the mechanism to sit and fix it to the door with rivits and attach the welding wire to the door lock but you gotta make it the right length so that the lock works right.
then measure out the holes on the alu for the window regulater and mini door handle and drill carefully. then sand down the egdes with 120grit sand paper and a block so that the edges are nice and smooth then do the same again the 240. drill the holes round the edge for the screws 10cm in between each one on the door and alu sheet. using a glue gun i then attached the pipping to the reverse of the sheet so that the edge of the pipe is right on top the alu then just screw the alu to the door.and fit the door pulls and winder etc.hope that helps, thats what i did anyway but as long as you have the time to take your time it will work. alu is a pain to work with because its so soft.
pettsy

Post by pettsy »

liking the smooth dash, might have a go at doing mine black :)
polo pete
Getting There!

Post by polo pete »

i was thinking of doing it black magic at the start but i thought not many people are notice it. it took along time but it was well worth it in the end. post some pics if you do it.
Rick_GEEEE
New

Post by Rick_GEEEE »

the dash looks great!!! it strangely works well i think in any other colour, than white, maybe not, but yeah! 8)
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

Wow. That's pimp. The special part is it hasn't gone all half arsed chav awful like the stereotypical recoloured dashboard. Nice!