Mk 3 1.3 CL (NZ, multipoint) Headgasket change

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
Coops
Getting There!

Mk 3 1.3 CL (NZ, multipoint) Headgasket change

Post by Coops »

easy to do?

mines leaking water from under the thermostat housing, rad-welded it tonight to last me the commute to work till the end of the week and picking up cambelt kits, headgasket set and headbolts tomoz!so need it sorted over the weekend

as its not overheated will i get away without a skim on the head?

do i need any other parts provided nothing breaks when i remove the head etc?

cheers

Coops
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

can't think of anything except tools and a strong constitution, so long as it's just perforated! maybe a new waterpump and thermo as you may as well replace these while you're at it.

as memory serves, be prepared for a pig of a job because the cambelt isn't exactly the most accessible one ever (it is, however, better than vauxhall's effort). did all this before when changing piston rings. doing the bottom end (pistons, bearings, etc) was far easier than actually getting access to it.

oh yeah, you'll want some kind of long, soft wooden dowelling that's just a little narrower diameter than the headbolts to keep the gasket in place and guide the head back onto it, as the engine is canted forwards and there's no guide pegs!