Another head gasket thread

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
carpy
New

Another head gasket thread

Post by carpy »

Hi. Have got a J reg VW polo which says "CATALYST" and "Polo CL" on the back! I think it's a 1.0 and it's petrol too.....

I'm pretty sure the head gasket has gone. Getting mayo in the oil filler cap, the car overheats easily, and bubbles in the expansion tank.

There's no point me taking it to a garage to get it done, as the car is worth less than the work would cost, and it's basically just a 3rd car we use here as a solid reliable runaround (not so reliable anymore)!

So is this something that can be accomplished by someone who doesn't even change the oil on a car normally? I'm similar to an electrician by trade, so no problem with DIY but not delved into cars too much in the past so not really confident working on them.

I've got loads of tools, but none are car specific. I don't really want to take the job on if I need to spend £100 or so just on tools as I won't be doing this again for a few years at least!

Any idea where to get the head gasket from too?

Many thanks
steveo3002
Silver Member

Post by steveo3002 »

try german and swedish for the parts..they do free posty on internet orders

its it fairly easy job as far as headgaskets go...2-3 hrs if it all goes well

you will need a spline bit and torque wrench for the head bolts...maybe a local forum use could help you?
carpy
New

Post by carpy »

Hi thanks for the post

It would be great if someone was on here local to me, but there aren't a lot of people on here it would seem so chance seems pretty unlikely. I'm based in Uxbridge which is NW London.

Do you happen to know which size spline bit I need?
steveo3002
Silver Member

Post by steveo3002 »

not sure on the size...im sure someone will chime in , they usualy come in a set anyway

have you tried clubpolo...bit busier on there
iccledude
New

Re: Another head gasket thread

Post by iccledude »

its probably too late but youll need a m12 i think