Fuel Gage telling me wrong readings !

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
PoLoCrAzZy0708
New

Fuel Gage telling me wrong readings !

Post by PoLoCrAzZy0708 »

I have recently had problems with my Fuel gage on my Vw polo 1995 . It keeps showing me wrong readings. This did not happen to me when i first got the car it was fine.. I normally fill up my car with £5 petrol and that goes within an hr and the petrol gage goes to no petrol ! I have filled my car up to almost a full tank the other day to see wether it was really my fuel gage that was f****d, and within a day it told me i have no petrol !!!! I have taken my car to a garage and had it looked at and they told me it could be the sender unit. So i had that replaced but has not changed anything !!! still telling me wrong reading!!  is there anyone out their that has had the same problems or knows why it is doing this ?

Please reply as im spending too much on petrol on my car due to the fuel gadge not reading probarly!

Erik
polo-sib
Gold Member

Post by polo-sib »

The fuel gauge is pretty poor in the polo anyway, I've had two polo's now and it jumps around, like it will say I have this much fuel and the next minute I'll have more fuel then i started, the next minute it'd go down again.

Good idea might be too look for after market gauge and reader if possible as they are unreliable.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

I had a pertol gauge prolem in my old car. It turned out that on teh petrol float there's a needle that runs up and down on a coil, this is what gives the petrol gauge a reading.

On my old car (Peugeot 306) this coil had worn away.

£50 for a new petrol float, two minute job sorted it right out.

Not sure if every car measures fuel like this, but it's worth checking.
adam_0612
Gold Member

Post by adam_0612 »

i dont mind the 306 gti-6 tim lol

also a friend has a 1.8 XS which is a nice car as well
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Yeh, they are nice enough if there are kept really OEM and clean looking.

But they are horrendously unreliable.
kersh
Getting There!

Post by kersh »

mate iv got a 1996 6n and mines the same i put £5 petrol in the tank and it didnt even move above the white under the red..... so i went back to the petrol station that i got it from and sed that there pump aint working and can i have my money back but the manager sed the pump wont work if the petrol didnt go through...... so ... i was led to believe that my gage didnt work so i pt another 5er in and it sed the same ... so i put a 10er in and it went up finally...... anyway reading the other post it seems its just a common falt with the polos so in future just set the trip button everytime u put in the 5ver and estimate when yr fuel is gone ... my polo averages out at 30mpg but mines a 1.6 so if thats helped u at all ...all gurd.. :lol:
PoLoCrAzZy0708
New

Post by PoLoCrAzZy0708 »

thanks for that advice guys ! :D