Polo coupe 94 starting problems

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
morganash88
New

Polo coupe 94 starting problems

Post by morganash88 »

Hi There, My Polo has started and run fine for last 18 months, but recently is becoming more and more difficult to start, especially if left standing for 2 days or more without being run. I dont think it is an engine problem as when warmed up it runs and idles okay. also it restarts fine after being run. Battery is good too. The problem is getting worse now and often takes me 5 to 10 minutes to get going, then it stalls at traffic lights.. until the engine is thoroughly warmed up it seems. It seems like a fuel blockage? as there is a delay when i press the accelerator pedal, It sometimes sounds like it's running on three cylinders? The car is low mileage and has been super reliable up to now, any help or ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Shugeed
New

Post by Shugeed »

how many miles has it done, sounds like a fookered head gasket
morganash88
New

Post by morganash88 »

Hi, Well I hope not! it's a low mileage about 76,000 miles. it rune fine when warmed up, I had a new fuel tank fitted - badly by some guys at a scrap yard a few months ago and get a strong smell of petrol if i leave the window down, which may or may not be related to this at all? I found out the fuel pump is somewhere near the tank at the back of the car, so maybe they damaged that? I'm just guessing here..