Issues with start and idle

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
courior
New
Drives: Mk2 coupe

Issues with start and idle

Post by courior »

Hi,

New member here from Malta :D .. Got a 1992 Coupe 1.05l and ive just rebuilt the head as it was worn away and leaking water into the cylinder. Thats sorted and all back together, but (and i know the choke dont work properly so its stuck open) .. I cant get the car to idle properly. It revs ok, but as soon as you let go of the throttle it dies, and also when you try and increase revs from less than say 2k, it want to die and u need to just help it to get over that kinda barrier, then it revs fine. this happens hot or cold.

I know that the base gasket is a common prob, but ive also disconected all the vac lines and the photo's i took dont really help in showing me where they all go.. stupid i know.. does anyone have a diagram or pics of where all the vac lines go? its a pierberg 1b carb... If i know all the vac lines are correct and ive still got problems, then ill put a new base gasket/mount.

Cheers all!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Issues with start and idle

Post by alexperkins »

Welcome!

It sounds like the carb is letting no air through for idle.

Pierberg is a common issue on all of these polos

I would suggest signing up on polo3.co.uk as youll get a better response on there (sadly theres no many mk3 owners left on here now)