Looking forward to Saturday

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
badger7777
New

Looking forward to Saturday

Post by badger7777 »

Collecting the new Polo on Saturday; looking forward to it!
Called into the VW dealers on monday; the polo we (registered to the missus) have turned 3 years old a month or so ago, so fancied trading up to something else, maybe a little bigger; but once we got the kids into the back of the new polo it seemed much bigger than the old one....styling looks good too; so after an hour or so haggling with the salesman we walked away having signed for a ex-demo model, Moda spec, alloys, AC, Ipod connection, front fogs, electric windows & mirrors too, in reflex silver - only disappointment is it's a "59" registration rather than a "10", but no waiting for delivery.
badger7777
New

Re: Looking forward to Saturday

Post by badger7777 »

Pleased with the new polo so far; managed to suss out the MDI connection to ipod and got a reasonable sound quality (after turning the aux input volume right down for some reason?). Have to admit i'm not over keen on the daytime running lights though, but salesman said that if we turn them off it's a workshop job to turn them back on - is this right?
Might need to look at getting a centre arm-rest fitted too - has anyone fitted one yet? Will it fit with the standard centre console or will that need changing too?
Karson3270
Silver Member

Post by Karson3270 »

I've actually never seen the daytime running lights :S strange, could you post a pic of them for me :D

It'll probably a setting in the system console :S not too sure but I wouldn't turn them off just incase. Gather a bit more info first before you do so.
zedzo
Gold Member

Post by zedzo »

the day time runing lites arnt like an LED strip if thats wat ur luking for karson :lol: its jus like having ur dims on with out having them on :D ( so u dont turn them on with the switch there just on )
badger7777
New

Post by badger7777 »

zedzo wrote:the day time runing lites arnt like an LED strip if thats wat ur luking for karson :lol: its jus like having ur dims on with out having them on :D ( so u dont turn them on with the switch there just on )
If they were LED's like fitted to new Audi's i'd be well pleased, but they're not. IIRC the sidelights and headlights are on all the time with the light switch in the off position. If you turn the lightswitch to sidelights, the headlights go out - just seems a strange way of wiring the lights up.
garywatt
New

Post by garywatt »

Hi all

I was a little unsure about the daytime lights too but it tells you how to disable in the manual. Not tried it myself as I will probably bugger all the lights up!

Gary
zedzo
Gold Member

Post by zedzo »

on my A4 2.0T its just a switch by the normal lights says DRL you can either put it on the 0 position or 1 . polo must be simple to dont think you ll need to program anythin.
Grey_Polo
Bronze Member

Post by Grey_Polo »

According to honestjohn.co.uk the DTLs (Day Light Running Lights) can be disabled as follows:
1) Insert key in ignition - don't turn at all.
2) Turn headlight switch to "0" position.
3) Move indicator stalk to left position and pull towards you in flash position
4) Turn ignition on, but not the engine.
5) Wait at least 4 seconds and you will hear 3 bleeps, operation complete - DRL's deactivated.
Personally I think they are a positive safety feature and I understand that all new cars sold in the EU from 2011 will be required to have them...
PeterWestSussex
New
Drives: 1.2 TSI 110 SEL DSG in white, 2015

Post by PeterWestSussex »

badger7777 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:50 am
a) If the DRLs were LEDs like fitted to new Audis i'd be well pleased, but they're not. IIRC the sidelights and headlights are on all the time with the light switch in the off position. b) If you turn the lightswitch to sidelights, the headlights go out - just seems a strange way of wiring the lights up.
Times have changed!
a) My POLO SEL 2015 has LEDs (they were an option)
b) This was an oversight on VW's part - it applied to my 2013 up! too. It has now been corrected.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

PeterWestSussex wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:44 am
badger7777 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:50 am
a) If the DRLs were LEDs like fitted to new Audis i'd be well pleased, but they're not. IIRC the sidelights and headlights are on all the time with the light switch in the off position. b) If you turn the lightswitch to sidelights, the headlights go out - just seems a strange way of wiring the lights up.
Times have changed!
a) My POLO SEL 2015 has LEDs (they were an option)
b) This was an oversight on VW's part - it applied to my 2013 up! too. It has now been corrected.
I thought that by MY2015, the all the SELs had LEDs - DRLs and headlights? My wife's factory ordered/spec'd August 2015 has them and I don't remember adding that to the SEL spec, I added other things though.
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

PeterWestSussex,

I read with great interest badger7777's topic from several years ago and, in particular, his comments about DRL's. One of my regrets concerning the acquisition of my 2017 Polo 1.2 is that, in my pre-purchase investigations, I didn't ask the dealer about the DRL's and whether there was any option to either not have them at all or to be able to turn them off (and even back on again). On my 2017 Polo they're wedge-type 21W filament bulbs each, so the alternator is having to supply about 3.5 amps to the pair, and it's having to do that even on bright summer days (admittedly, somewhat rare in Britain).

Usefully, I've noted the procedure for disabling them. I suspect the dealer was correct, though - to re-enable them would probably require re-programming that feature via the vehicle's diagnostics socket, something for which I don't possess the kit at present. I'd need to take the car to the dealer to have it re-enabled.

And yes, I'm now convinced that having DRL's is a legal requirement in all new cars. Although I've become resigned to having them, I'd prefer that they were LED types rather than filament, not only from the viewpoint that LEDs would be electrically more efficient but also because LEDs would presumably last a lot longer; gaining access to the DRL's to replace them isn't at all easy. I've been kinda hoping that in due course either VW themselves or an approved manufacturer would be able to supply a small conversion kit that makes use of the existing wedge connection. I think a few such converters exist in the general marketplace but my understanding is that they're not as yet legal for use on UK roads, only off-road.
PeterWestSussex
New
Drives: 1.2 TSI 110 SEL DSG in white, 2015

Post by PeterWestSussex »

veteran wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:32 pm a) .... On my 2017 Polo they're wedge-type 21W filament bulbs each, ...
b) ...., I'd prefer that they were LED types rather than filament, not only from the viewpoint that LEDs would be electrically more efficient but also because LEDs would presumably last a lot longer; gaining access to the DRL's to replace them isn't at all easy. I've been kinda hoping that in due course either VW themselves or an approved manufacturer would be able to supply a small conversion kit that makes use of the existing wedge connection. I think a few such converters exist in the general marketplace but my understanding is that they're not as yet legal for use on UK roads, only off-road.
a) I have a paper copy of the 2015 brochure and Price list here with me (No paper copies any more; one has to download). I see that my SEL has, as standard, "LED headlights for dipped and main beam, including separate LED DRLs, automatic range adjustment, headlight washers, low washer fluid warning light and LED rear number plate lights". The option I was referring to that I have is Light & Sight pack (at £150) (but NOT the Convenience pack which included folding mirrors (at £225)
b) I was never interested, but LED replacements for the DRLs seem to be a popular pastime with up! owners. I guess if you were keen to have this mod. you'll find all you need on the up! Forum. Now; there's a project for next weekend!
d-ash
Getting There!
Drives: 6C 2016 R-Line 1.2 90PS - Blue Silk

Post by d-ash »

veteran wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:32 pm I've been kinda hoping that in due course either VW themselves or an approved manufacturer would be able to supply a small conversion kit that makes use of the existing wedge connection. I think a few such converters exist in the general marketplace but my understanding is that they're not as yet legal for use on UK roads, only off-road.
Start here https://www.hids-direct.co.uk/categorie ... -drl-bulbs and check compatibility with your existing DRL fitment. Replacement LEDs must be canbus compatible to prevent errors (i.e. they must provide similar resistance to a conventional filament bulb in order not to throw up error messages on the dash)
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

I used that link but found that none of them were compatible, mainly because my Polo's DRL's are simply single-function, ie. they are just 21W bulbs, not 21W with 5W.

As you say, whatever's offered as a replacement has to be CAN-bus compatible. If the ECU needs to see exactly the same resistance, then does that mean that all of these filament-to-LED conversions involve some dumping of power? The inference is that if the ECU expects to see the self same resistance, then the self same amount of power has to be dissipated. In the case of a filament, the resistance will be a lot lower than a collection of LEDs would provide (after all, this is how, with just LEDs on their own, you'd reduce the current taken and therefore also reduce the power dissipated). This suggests that, in order to still meet the requirement of the ECU, a sacrificial resistance has to be added to the LED array in order to simulate the missing amount of resistance and thereby to also dissipate the excess power in that additional resistance (by way of heat). If that's the case, then there'd be little or nothing saved overall, in terms of power. Yes, you'd have better lights, and probably ones that wouldn't fail anything like as often as filament bulbs, but you'd still be extracting the same power from the alternator. Of course, ultimately, all the power comes out of the fuel sitting in the tank.

It seems to me that requiring the ECU (or whatever module it is that controls the lighting circuits) to see the same resistance as before is a rather ill-conceived restriction. Surely, this something that, via the CAN-bus, could be changed?
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

veteran wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:17 pm I used that link but found that none of them were compatible, mainly because my Polo's DRL's are simply single-function, ie. they are just 21W bulbs, not 21W with 5W.

As you say, whatever's offered as a replacement has to be CAN-bus compatible. If the ECU needs to see exactly the same resistance, then does that mean that all of these filament-to-LED conversions involve some dumping of power? The inference is that if the ECU expects to see the self same resistance, then the self same amount of power has to be dissipated. In the case of a filament, the resistance will be a lot lower than a collection of LEDs would provide (after all, this is how, with just LEDs on their own, you'd reduce the current taken and therefore also reduce the power dissipated). This suggests that, in order to still meet the requirement of the ECU, a sacrificial resistance has to be added to the LED array in order to simulate the missing amount of resistance and thereby to also dissipate the excess power in that additional resistance (by way of heat). If that's the case, then there'd be little or nothing saved overall, in terms of power. Yes, you'd have better lights, and probably ones that wouldn't fail anything like as often as filament bulbs, but you'd still be extracting the same power from the alternator. Of course, ultimately, all the power comes out of the fuel sitting in the tank.

It seems to me that requiring the ECU (or whatever module it is that controls the lighting circuits) to see the same resistance as before is a rather ill-conceived restriction. Surely, this something that, via the CAN-bus, could be changed?
i'm guessing u didn't look that hard as there are some osram led's that are right

imho don't get canbus compatible lamps as they run REALLY hot and kill the LED chips.

if you really care just buy the exact right lamp from vw and don't really worry about the 3.5amps from the circa 100A alternator