Economy of new polo

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
sel90
New

Economy of new polo

Post by sel90 »

I was amazed by the polo's fuel economy (1.6 90 bhp SEL model). It did 59 mpg on the way to scotland and coming back 61.8 mpg. While keeping within 5 mph of the national speed limit. A/C was on all the time, and both ipod and rear DVDs on most of the time as well.
Grey_Polo
Bronze Member

Re: Economy of new polo

Post by Grey_Polo »

Can't come near that!

I have the 1.4 16v petrol 85 PS/BHP engine with 7 speed DSG automatic.

What I notice is how the fuel consumption can vary (from the on-board computer). Cold starts will show 14l/100km (20mpg UK) for the first minutes.

The overall average is 5.9l/110km (48mpg). I have now covered 12,000kms (7,500 miles) and notice the fuel economy is improving.

Pushing the speed really make a difference. On recent trip from Switzerland to the UK via Paris and Le Havre using air con. I set the cruise control where possible at 140kph (87mph) this brought the consumption down to 6.2l/100km (46mpg UK). But in the UK and keeping to 70mph (and being overtaken by everyone else on the road) 5.2l/100km (54mpg UK) was the average.

50mph constant speed consumption according to VW is 4.7l/100km (60mpg UK), but I have never driven at a constant 50mph for more that a few minutes...
Norbreck21a
Silver Member

Post by Norbreck21a »

I know this is an old post, but the above is very interesting for me.

We've just decided to buy the wife a new polo (a 1.4 FSI 16V SEL DSG) with a few extra toys, to replace her current 2006 9N3 1.4 FSI Sport with a manual box.

Over the 4½ years (since new) that we've owned the current Polo, the fuel consumption has been OK but not staggering, averaging over about 29,000 miles about 42mpg. The wife works about 20 miles away and the route to work is a combination of Motorway, dual carraigeway and A roads, so a good mix.

We got the DSG version of the new Polo as she has problems with her left knee. Looking at the above post it seems that the DSG version of the new Polo is at least if not more economical ? Does that seem to be the general concensus ?
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

DSG is a little better than manual in most cases. You need to look at the specs provided by VW on the model you have just to be sure as it does vary between models.

DSG is the future as it the best of both manual and auto, I am on my third VW with DSG and would not go back to the manual version if DSG was offered on that model.
whitegtipolo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by whitegtipolo »

Dsg is alot better now in 7sp my old 6sp in the r was clunky the Polo is so smooth lurve it
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Edi30 wrote: DSG is the future as it the best of both manual and auto, I am on my third VW with DSG and would not go back to the manual version if DSG was offered on that model.
well said
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

whitegtipolo wrote:Dsg is alot better now in 7sp my old 6sp in the r was clunky the Polo is so smooth lurve it
Yes the 6 speed in my ED30 was not as smooth as the new 7 speed but always behaved. However VW has improved the 6 speed, the DSG in my Mk6 is just as good as the 7 speed in the Polo.
whitegtipolo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by whitegtipolo »

Edi30 wrote:
whitegtipolo wrote:Dsg is alot better now in 7sp my old 6sp in the r was clunky the Polo is so smooth lurve it
Yes the 6 speed in my ED30 was not as smooth as the new 7 speed but always behaved. However VW has improved the 6 speed, the DSG in my Mk6 is just as good as the 7 speed in the Polo.
Oh right I thought all mk6 have seven speed must just be the r
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

Golf R and Rocco R have 6 speed as well, had a go in both, awesome :twisted: The new RS3 has a 7 speed. 8)