Multifunction steering wheel doesn't match uk website

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Gallois
New

Multifunction steering wheel doesn't match uk website

Post by Gallois »

I've just taken delivery of a polo 1.2 tsi sel. I upgraded to the multi function steering wheel. The uk website states you can control the audio, telephone and multifunction computer with the steering wheel.

This is not true. You cannot control the multifunction computer with the uk multifunction steeringwheel. It only has the left hand cluster of buttons for telephone and audio. The computer is controlled via a rocker switch at the end of the right stalk.

Just a word of warning if you are thinking about upgrading. I don't think I would have bought it had I known.
Edi30
Gold Member

Re: Multifunction steering wheel doesn't match uk website

Post by Edi30 »

Oh dear that is a shame. Odd as this is totally opposite to what the web site and what I ended up with. I ordered MFSW in June 09 for a GTI and the website and brochure showed only left hand side buttons but when the car turned up it had buttons on both sides to control radio and cd plus computer.

Cheers,
Joe
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

You have to have the highline display for the buttons on the steering wheel on the right to control the display.
Gallois
New

Post by Gallois »

That would make sense but I don't see any highline display in the brochure. It says all polos have mfd midline even the gti.

I've also noticed my front seats aren't the sliding type (3door) and the spec for sel says they should be.

I always feel like I'm being picky but if the book says one thing and that's how you decide to spend 14k that's what the spec should be!
Carol
New

Post by Carol »

Agreed with Gallois. We have a 1.2TSI SEL with multifunction steering wheel and only have the left hand controls (for stereo) - which are rubbish imo. No controlling the highline display (which I believe we have) - photo below:
Image.

If we'd known how rubbish this option was going to be, there's no way we would've forked out the extra ££ for it.
Gallois
New

Post by Gallois »

Yep money down the drain for that!

I have got the easy access seats though. But not that easy! I have to give them a big whack to slide them forward.

Now I just need to find the 12v socket in the boot! Where have they hidden that?

It is lovely to drive though and the build quality is superb.
whitegtipolo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by whitegtipolo »

That's midline high line has fuel and temp in the gauges
Carol
New

Post by Carol »

whitegtipolo wrote:That's midline high line has fuel and temp in the gauges
Ah, OK fair enough then. I don't feel quite so diddled, but I still wouldn't have paid the extra for the rubbish stereo remote controls.
Gallois
New

Post by Gallois »

The point is that the specs are not clear. Just the same as the 12v socket in the boot.

I've written to VW. I'm sure there is no point but it makes me feel better.

I have no problem paying good money for quality products. What annoys me is when manufacturers assume they don't need to be specific for the money they charge.

There is probably a 'we can change anything at any time without telling you' clause somewhere. But the principles should be that manufacturers are open and transparent about their products to their customers.
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

The brochure is not that clear as the specs of the options vary so much depending on the model you have. The only model I can work out that has a Highline MFD is the GTI but this is not mentioned in the brochure. However this is not a full Highline as can be seen on European models on YouTube. The brochure only shows MFSW with radio controls and no mention of buttons to control MFD. Hence my surprise when my car had these! :)

I remember when I ordered mine I decided not to go for climate (blue display does not match the RCD510 which I speced) but I was worried that it did not come with air con as the brochure states that air con is not available on the GTI. :? Dealer had to ring VW to check!
Grey_Polo
Bronze Member

Post by Grey_Polo »

I think the confusion may have arisen by the use of "multifunction".

VW describe both the steering wheel and the computer display between the speedo and rev counter also as "multifunction".

My European spec Polo has only volume and channel/track change and mute for a mobile phone on the steering wheel (left side) as shown in the brochure. As this is three functions I guess they can just about get away with using "multifunction" to describe it.

I did get the 12v socket in the boot (right side)...
Gallois
New

Post by Gallois »

I don't think it's confusing I think it's misleading.

Look at the polo UK mf steering wheel website

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/polo-v/ ... ring-wheel

And what it says.

It lets you select numerous functions - such as the radio and multifunction computer (available with this option) - without taking your hands off the wheel.

Seems straightforward to me.

Still can't find the 12v socket in the boot.
Carol
New

Post by Carol »

I see that the photo doesn't actually show the right hand side of the steering wheel....

Still pretty annoying in terms of what they're advertising.
Gallois
New

Post by Gallois »

I think the moral is don't rely on the UK website for up-to-date information. Always download the price list.

I've just downloaded the new Polo price list effective from Jan 11 and the 12v socket in the boot is missing from the spec. This doesn't match the website.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/#/new/polo- ... brochures/