1.2 TSI SEL Bi-Xenon Headlights

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
AJ_7
Gold Member

Post by AJ_7 »

Hi guys,

Recently test drove a 1.2 TSI Polo and absolutley loved it! I'm a massive fan of the LED DRLs however, the car i'm purchasing is a used one (with 1,000 miles on the clock) but doesn't have the Bi-Xenon option. Is this something that I could possibly get fitted at a main dealer afterwards? Would anyone recommend doing this or should I just settle for the normal LRD's and get some Phillips Extreme Brilliance bulbs?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Alex
duffman502
Bronze Member

Re: 1.2 TSI SEL Bi-Xenon Headlights

Post by duffman502 »

I asked about this when i had mine if you do it yourself and have vag com your lookin at around 500-600 if you go through a dealer figure at about a grand if they are even willing to do it.
I was well annoyed at this
AJ_7
Gold Member

Post by AJ_7 »

Thanks for your reply mate, i'll query it when I pick the car up! It's £749 as an optional extra when if your ordering a new build so I think your estimate of around a grand might be spot on. Shame really!
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

Not sure what your road rules and regs are like over there but here in Oz, the Bi-Xenons are a $1600 option (around the same price you have quoted in pounds) but due to our regulations, dealers won't retro-fit them due to our regulations. Basically any car with HID lights needs:

Self leveling projector lenses
Headlamp washers
the lights to be dedicated RHD
Accelerometers at the front of the car
accelerometers at the rear of the car
ballasts etc
washing system to be independant of winscreen washers unless the windscreen washer reservoir can hold a certain amount of fluid

I see many people on here have already just retro-fitted HIDs into their standard lights, so if you're after the lighting and can live without the LED DRLs, seems that you don't have as much red tape to work through as we do so just instal them in current lights :)
Tyler Owen
Getting There!

Post by Tyler Owen »

We do have the same regs but people tend to ignore them, cause hey its only other people that they are blinding what does it matter !! :roll:
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

Just fit Xenon upgrades or HID's, £750-1000 for headlights! VW and we have gone mad even contemplating paying that sort of money for some brighter headlights. :shock:
AJ_7
Gold Member

Post by AJ_7 »

Cheers guys, I'm gonna look into a Xenon upgrade or HID's. Is there specific kits that are highly recomended?

Alex
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

AJ_7 wrote:Cheers guys, I'm gonna look into a Xenon upgrade or HID's. Is there specific kits that are highly recomended?

Alex
I don't have any experience with HID's but can recommend Osram Nightbreakers as a Xenon bulb upgrade about £25 a pair and will be the cheapest way to really improve the headlights. Depends what you want :)
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

Tyler Owen wrote:We do have the same regs but people tend to ignore them, cause hey its only other people that they are blinding what does it matter !! :roll:
Well, we are the nanny state as Mark Webber said, the police will pick you up, then it's an un-roadworthy vehicle and the amount of stuff to do to get it legal again is ridiculous, hence why people are swayed away from doing it here :) Not that it's a bad thing though.
Norbreck21a
Silver Member

Post by Norbreck21a »

Apart from as mentioned above (i.e swapping using genuine VW HID lamps units) and needing headlight washers and self levellers, it is also my understanding that you could only "legally" fit HID conversion kits into the existing headlight units if they have projector dipped beam lenses, which the non Xenon Polo headlights do not. If used on an open reflector system the increased intensity and output from the HID bulb allows too much light scatter and will blind oncoming traffic.

I've also heard that from 2012, MOT stations are being advised to fail vehicles which don't meet original manufactuers specifcations for the headlights. Obviously on a new car it would be 3 years before your car would need an MOT, but if plod stop you in the meantime, they do have the power (if noticed) to give you either a rectification notice or 3 points on your license ?

It seems legislation is becoming more aware of the hazards of aftermarket HID fitments.
whitegtipolo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by whitegtipolo »

Stop being gay get some hid kit fitted police are not mechanics dont know a h7 from a h1 bulb
Norbreck21a
Silver Member

Post by Norbreck21a »

Actually, far from being "gay" as you so elequently put it, a lot of Police (especially Traffic) are petrol heads and DO know about these things.

I know this because my brother in law is traffic as is my best friend, and they HAVE pulled chavs over after said chav approached from behind in a blaze of blinding white light that dazzeled them in the rear view mirror. A talk was had and bonnets lifted to reveal after market ballast kits which were pretty evident. Vehicle defect reports were duly issued.

So if you are OK breaking the law and risking your license fine, but I tell you, if you came up behind me at night with blinding headlights, I'd be taking your number and reporting you. Nuff said !!
AJ_7
Gold Member

Post by AJ_7 »

whitegtipolo wrote:Stop being gay get some hid kit fitted police are not mechanics dont know a h7 from a h1 bulb

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

Easy now, fair point you make but if you drive around attracting attention to yourself then you are going to get pulled what ever and then that is fair enough. Would you really shop another motorist or Polo forum member because they have dazzled you with HID's? I say live and let live, being dazzled by headlights (by normal car headlights, Xenons on big 4x4's and high end cars) is just a fact of life I get it all the time as I drive on A and B roads so just get used to it. I think there are bigger issues for the Police to sort out.
duffman502
Bronze Member

Post by duffman502 »

Ive had xenons in a previous car and had friends with them on and if you re align your headlight or have a garage do it you still get loads more light and dont dazzle people simple if you ask me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk