locking wheel nut keys

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
FrankM83
New

locking wheel nut keys

Post by FrankM83 »

well there's only one of them with my car, what if i lose it? I asked my local VW dealer and told me that it's impossible to order another lock nut key!! he said i have to buy another full set of bolts with a new key, but that doesn't solve the matter if i lose the other key and can't take the old bolts out!!

does anyone over at your side ever managed to buy a spare, cause I really fon't trust my dealer! Thanks
AJ_7
Gold Member

Re: locking wheel nut keys

Post by AJ_7 »

To be honest, from my experience, locking wheel nut keys are a load of crap.

I was at the petrol station a few months back and a Golf owner had a punctured tyre but no locking wheel nut key. I was filling up and he asked me if he could try mine on his. I was a bit dubious at first as I thought these were unique to each car. I reluctantly walked over to his car with it and handed it over and it actually removed his wheel.

Since this experience i'm not very faithful towards these locking wheel nuts - I personally think they're just a gimmick.
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

Why would you lose it? Just keep it in its place under the boot floor?

I've been told that there's a code on the bolts themselves which refers to the key, so that you can buy a replacement, according to my friendly parts man. I've never actually bothered looking to see if this is true though.

My car had the key missing when I bought it. The dealers have a master set of keys, and failing that, are surprisingly innovative at removing them. It's not that difficult at all so long as you don't mind ruining the locking wheel nut...
FrankM83
New

Post by FrankM83 »

Thanks for the reply guys,

AJ I know what you mean, it's not the first time it heard that story I thought of removing them just to be sort of safer

blaze, well once I lost the key to my skoda felicia set, mainly when i took it out i hit my hand on the rear corner of the car and the key fell out of my hand into a drain on the side of the road!! DOH!

thanks for your input guys I was also thinking of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280621527222? ... 1423.l2649
Donny
New

Post by Donny »

locking nuts are not unique to each car there are like 18 different keys in the mc gard style and 12 in the spline style look on top of your locking nut there is a code e.g. 8 or c4 etc any locking nut with that code will fit yours, i'll see if i can find the site to order the keys from think it is at work. We had a customer who came in with thoose on her car she lost her locking nut we just put a socket on and took them off, just get normal wheel nut unless u have flash alloys.
FrankM83
New

Post by FrankM83 »

Thanks Donny!! :) will do so
jonn75
New

Post by jonn75 »

Help !! can anyone give me the code for the locking wheel nut on a 9n3 gti !
aarongti
New

Post by aarongti »

Would also like to know the above..