Polo 1.4 SE (First Car)

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
benhowarth6
Bronze Member

Polo 1.4 SE (First Car)

Post by benhowarth6 »

Hello! I've been meaning looking around here and been meaning to join for a while now.

I'm currently 17 and passed my test in June and got myself a 1.4 6R SE, absolutely love the car and we currently have 3 in the family, a 1.2 S (Brothers), 1.4 SE (Mine) and a 1.6 TDI SEL (Mothers).

Model: 1.4 SE 85PS
Colour: Deep Black
Extra's: None :(

First thing I'm looking to do is add an RCD 510.

Here's a few pictures of the car at the dealer.

Also I have noticed a few polo's from the same year and same engine have drums on the rear instead of discs, anybody know why?
benhowarth6
Bronze Member

Re: Polo 1.4 SE (First Car)

Post by benhowarth6 »

Shortly after I had been driving the 1.4 for a while, I was doing over 500 miles a week and so I decided to switch (temporarily) cars with my Mum so I was driving the 1.6 TDI SEL as she was doing under 200 a week.

So I've been driving the 1.6 for a month or two now. Anyway I was driving home the other night on a dual carriageway when a fox the size of a sheep decides to play chicken with me, unfortunately by the time it ran out into the road there was nothing I could do (travelling at 70mph). I then decided to pull over off the road onto a smaller street to check my car, at which point smoke begins to come out from under the bonnet and I get a red flashing warning light and a rather loud beeping noise telling me there was a fault in the engine coolant.

Anyway I pulled over to check and see this fox inside the lower grille of my bumper, and a trail of what I can only assume was engine coolant behind the car and a growing puddle underneath. I decided to leave the car there and grab a lift home since I don't have breakdown cover.

As you can see here the fox is stuck inside the lower grille.

As it turns out the car is covered by breakdown cover so before it came to be taken to a garage I got these of the damage to the bumper, as you can see its cracked the bumper and damaged the grille and the right fog light cover

Waiting to hear from the garage tomorrow on cost etc, hoping it isn't too much as that'll be my 18th birthday money gone already!
AJ_7
Gold Member

Post by AJ_7 »

Jesus, never seen a fox do that much damage!

I have a lower grill lying about that's in really good condition, but it's not an SEL grill with the chrome trim. You are more than welcome to have that for a minimal cost if you are looking to get your car repaired without spending as much :)

AJ
ubiquitous-j
Bronze Member

Post by ubiquitous-j »

Hmm that doesn't look good, the Rad appears to be slightly damaged too which is probably what caused the coolant warning to come on.

With regards to the 1.4, I was under the impression rear disks are dependant on whether it has ESP?
jammydodger
Silver Member
Drives: 6R GTI

Post by jammydodger »

Sorry to hear that mate, on the most desirable Polo too! :(
ubiquitous-j wrote:With regards to the 1.4, I was under the impression rear disks are dependant on whether it has ESP?
All 6Rs in the UK have ESP, red discs was made standard on all Polos bar 1.2 N/A and TDI models from 2012 onwards, I suppose it was just luck if they had enough drums that day? ;)
benhowarth6
Bronze Member

Post by benhowarth6 »

AJ_7 wrote:Jesus, never seen a fox do that much damage!

I have a lower grill lying about that's in really good condition, but it's not an SEL grill with the chrome trim. You are more than welcome to have that for a minimal cost if you are looking to get your car repaired without spending as much :)

AJ
Yeah its pretty bad, ended up cracking the radiator and the fan so they are being replaced, and has done some slight damage to the air con unit and the intercooler, but they should be able to salvage these as long as there are no boost leaks from the intercooler. The bumper at the bottom is also completely cracked and needs replacing also, I believe these are around £300 from VW so I'll probably be looking to get a used one and just fit the SEL bits, but thanks for the offer and I will bear that in mind when looking at the total cost!
benhowarth6
Bronze Member

Post by benhowarth6 »

ubiquitous-j wrote:Hmm that doesn't look good, the Rad appears to be slightly damaged too which is probably what caused the coolant warning to come on.

With regards to the 1.4, I was under the impression rear disks are dependant on whether it has ESP?
Yeah wasn't good, I was doing 70 at the time (was a national speed limit road) when it ran out. The radiator was cracked and is in the process of being replaced, he also told me he found oil in the intercooler which isn't good, but they are going to test it for boost leaks etc once rebuilt.
benhowarth6
Bronze Member

Post by benhowarth6 »

jammydodger wrote:Sorry to hear that mate, on the most desirable Polo too! :(
ubiquitous-j wrote:With regards to the 1.4, I was under the impression rear disks are dependant on whether it has ESP?
All 6Rs in the UK have ESP, red discs was made standard on all Polos bar 1.2 N/A and TDI models from 2012 onwards, I suppose it was just luck if they had enough drums that day? ;)
Hmm it is strange cause I've seen some 2010 models with them (like mine) and some without, so I'm guessing its something to do with the build dates? Do they all come from the same factory or could that be a reason why some do and don't?
benhowarth6
Bronze Member

Post by benhowarth6 »

I should have the car back within the next day or so, as its been in all week. They have managed to temporarily fix the bumper so that it at least looks okay-ish, I was driving the 1.4 again for a few days and I must say I really prefer the diesel engine in the polo. The 1.4 feels really light and almost too easy to drive compared to the 1.6 as that feels heavier and more chunky to drive, so I can't wait to get it back especially considering I'm driving a Vauxhall Vectra at the moment!
jammydodger
Silver Member
Drives: 6R GTI

Post by jammydodger »

Three doors are built in Spain and five doors are built in South Africa... Good news on getting the car back then! You're a diesel boy like me now... I hate petrols, they feel like they're not planted or something, I don't know, maybe I haven't tried a proper petrol yet lol
benhowarth6
Bronze Member

Post by benhowarth6 »

jammydodger wrote:Three doors are built in Spain and five doors are built in South Africa... Good news on getting the car back then! You're a diesel boy like me now... I hate petrols, they feel like they're not planted or something, I don't know, maybe I haven't tried a proper petrol yet lol
Ah right hmm maybe thats something to do with it? Yes I got the car back today and it looks and drives fine, fair to say I've missed it, it drives so much better than the two other petrols I had been driving for the week, I agree with you on the planted point too, the 1.6 feels much more planted compared to my 1.4 round corners etc. Only issue is the bumper still needs replacing as the crack at the bottom means that the lower grille doesn't fit in properly. I'm looking to get one that doesn't require a respray if possible, anyone have any ideas on where to get one?
benhowarth6
Bronze Member

Post by benhowarth6 »

So I got some of my first mods done on my own car since I'm back in that one now!

For the past few days I've been installing an Amplifier and Subwoofer to help out in the low end as the stock speakers aren't too great with bass. I've managed to wire it all in so it looks stock in the interior, I've upgraded to an RCD 510 and hidden all of the wires, as I wanted to keep the OEM look in the interior.

Here are a few pictures of the subwoofer and amplifier (they aren't great as I took them in a rush before work this morning!)

And the new RCD 510 I fitted.

The RCD 510 was a straight swap for the RCD 310 and works great with my new sub and amp setup! The new subwoofer and amplifier work great with the stock speakers, as I have turned the bass fully down on the HU so they only allow the high's and mid's, this allows them to go much louder and creates a really nice sound with a nice low end.
benhowarth6
Bronze Member

Post by benhowarth6 »

This car will be going back on Friday as I've now bought a Polo GTI, as insurance was much cheaper and as I'm now in full time work I wanted something a bit nicer. I took it for a test drive today and fell in love, so I placed a deposit and collect it Friday! I can't wait.

Here's an image from the dealer.

ubiquitous-j
Bronze Member

Post by ubiquitous-j »

Nice upgrade!