Switch DRL's to Front Fog

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

Hi!

I know this question has been asked before but was wondering if anyone found a way of switching the DRL's from Dipped Beam to Front Fogs.

Thanks!
hornmeister
Bronze Member

Re: Switch DRL's to Front Fog

Post by hornmeister »

By insulating a pin on the light switch it's possible to turn of the headlights and only have sidelights for driving lights.

Theoretically if you find the terminal on the back of the switch which connects to the fogs you can short it to on making the fogs and sides on all the time.

Not sure it'll be road legal though?
bowie
New

Post by bowie »

As above and you can knock the side lights off with VCDS in adaption. This leaves you with just numberplate lights on which requires the removal / insulation of another pin on the light switch. Depending on year , etc you may have to change your control module for one which supports drls.

http://www.carsystems.pl/polo-central-e ... id539.html

Chris.
chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

Thanks for the input guys! Does sound like something ill look into as ive just ordered some xenon white H8 bulbs.

I already have the 87 BCM.
My car is 2011 TSI 1.2L

Ill look into it. Thought it was a quick click on VCDS :) bit optimistic :)
greypolo9n3
Gold Member
Drives: white 6r 1.6 tdi rline/gti

Post by greypolo9n3 »

Im slightly confused...

I figure you need a higher model BCM for LED number plate lights?...

Now..i have a 2009 polo tdi SE....i guess it has a crap bcm as it has no special extras...no cruise..no DIS etc etc

I bought a bumper off a 2012 R line...that had LED number plate lights from factory..and they work fine on my car...i didnt need to programme a thing?
bowie
New

Post by bowie »

I have a 2011 SEL and just put the OEM led numberplate lights on. No errors so maybe doesn't have the cold check for them ? Regarding the later BCM , this will support using other lamps as drls ( led in headlights, fogs). I'll check tomorrow to see which module I have but when I had a look at the coding / adaption options there was nothing in there about using fogs as drls. But I have seen 12 / 13 plate cars with reduced fogs as drls ( lower voltage ? )

Chris.
AJ_7
Gold Member

Post by AJ_7 »

bowie wrote:I have a 2011 SEL and just put the OEM led numberplate lights on. No errors so maybe doesn't have the cold check for them ? Regarding the later BCM , this will support using other lamps as drls ( led in headlights, fogs). I'll check tomorrow to see which module I have but when I had a look at the coding / adaption options there was nothing in there about using fogs as drls. But I have seen 12 / 13 plate cars with reduced fogs as drls ( lower voltage ? )

Chris.
Hi Bowie,

Have you got a part number/price for the LED number plate light units?

Regards,

AJ
jobbercete
Getting There!
Drives: Polo 6R 1.2 TSI 90cv Sport

Post by jobbercete »

Hi AJ_7,

I have this reference....1K8943021C. You also need to buy this:

bowie
New

Post by bowie »

^^^ that's the part no. You may not need the error cancellers tho. I've put the LEDs on but not had any bulb out warnings. I got mine off German ebay. £24 for the pair. Item no. 131010525850 . Seller vagnl .

Chris.
mattymdm
Bronze Member

Post by mattymdm »

chrispy. wrote:Hi!

I know this question has been asked before but was wondering if anyone found a way of switching the DRL's from Dipped Beam to Front Fogs.

Thanks!
I looked into this i found that you need to buy the foglamp units from a 6R polo bluemotion (these have DRL bulbs and foglamp bulbs) Retail i think at £64 ea.
Then you would have to run x4 wires and x2 connectors to the fog light units and run the wires to the convenience system.
I havent looked into the coding of the lights properly, i would have to compare everything from mine and a polo bluemotion.
Mart!n-GTI-DK
Platinum Member
Drives: '14 Polo BlueGT

Post by Mart!n-GTI-DK »

mattymdm wrote:I looked into this i found that you need to buy the foglamp units from a 6R polo bluemotion (these have DRL bulbs and foglamp bulbs) Retail i think at £64 ea.
Then you would have to run x4 wires and x2 connectors to the fog light units and run the wires to the convenience system.
I havent looked into the coding of the lights properly, i would have to compare everything from mine and a polo bluemotion.
Those foglights with build in DRL' s are not exclusive to the Bluemotion. Here in Denmark and most of Europe they are stock on most versions of the Polo with halogen headlights. :)
bowie
New

Post by bowie »

Mart!n-GTI-DK wrote:
mattymdm wrote:I looked into this i found that you need to buy the foglamp units from a 6R polo bluemotion (these have DRL bulbs and foglamp bulbs) Retail i think at £64 ea.
Those foglights with build in DRL' s are not exclusive to the Bluemotion. Here in Denmark and most of Europe they are stock on most versions of the Polo with halogen headlights. :)
Ooh. I like the sound of that. Part no.s for the fogs and wiring would be good. Anyone ?

Chris.
greypolo9n3
Gold Member
Drives: white 6r 1.6 tdi rline/gti

Post by greypolo9n3 »

I think all the above explains why everyone says the TFL pin on the switch disables the DRL on halogen lights here in the UK

I tried it and it just stopped my foglights from working
lxm
Bronze Member

Post by lxm »

chrispy. wrote:Hi!

Thanks!
Not to be a party pooper but if you were running your fog lamps as DLR's its not road legal and if you are spotted by a knowledgeable cop, fined for it, and possibly reported. Fogs are for when its foggy :P
bowie
New

Post by bowie »

If you have the correct control module they run at lower voltage. VW already do it with 12 plate on cars. So not illegal at all if done properly.

Chris.