Buying a 6R - Advice on engine & model...

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
lxm
Bronze Member

Post by lxm »

Hi guys

I have been driving a 1.4 (high torque) Corsa B, Breeze (1997) for 2 years. Our Family has had it for 6 years and its been battered. Its got 99k on the clock, and the last MOT pass cost £500. It broke down a couple of weeks ago which cost me another £250, last night the front Anti Roll bar half fell off due to rust, you can see where this is going....

I'm driving it through December and January and then looking to purchase a R6 Polo. I have a limit of £7k for the car, because I am spending what Id call quite a bit it has to be a moda, match or SE, I don't see the point in spending 7k (+ or -) for a basic model.

There seems to be two real options that I've been looking at for my money is a 1.2 or 1.4 petrol moda or match with 20-30k on the clock for 6500-7000. Ideally I really want to get a diesel but these seem far and few between, in the last two months I've only seen three 1.6 diesel TDI (SE) pop up but these typically have 45-60k on the clock albeit crammed with extras for 6.7-7k. The £30 road tax is very attractive.

Anyone have any advice for me ? Ive never had a 'newer' car before, is a 3 year old diesel car with 60k on the clock going to hold its value in say 3 years time as opposed to a petrol with 20k on the clock? how do these cars age/run ? Looking for general advice.

Thanks in advance
greypolo9n3
Gold Member
Drives: white 6r 1.6 tdi rline/gti

Re: Buying a 6R - Advice on engine & model...

Post by greypolo9n3 »

Either get the 1.4 petrol...or the 1.6 tdi

I personally prefer the tdi...better power and more economy as well as the cheap roadtax..

If you wait around ..one will definitely pop up..i know the diesels are very reliable i have one myself and have seen one go up to 180k with no problems

as long as theyre kept keen theyll go on for a long long time
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

The 1.2 TdI is also very good - don't be put off by the small engine size. It's very capable and mine regularly returns 65+ mpg with only £30 a year road tax :)
ubiquitous-j
Bronze Member

Post by ubiquitous-j »

1.2 TSI all the way!

Its by far and away the best standard petrol engine in the Polo. Decent MPG and very nippy/ responsive to drive. Much nicer than the entry level 1.2 models and the old 1.4 85PS.

This should be in reach with a little haggling - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 3175812453
calvinw1
Bronze Member

Post by calvinw1 »

Having driven a 1.2 60ps, 1.2 tsi and the 1.4 petrol, 1, I'd say they are both massively underpowered! 1.2 is extremely noisy, and doesn't go anywhere. The 1.4 probably couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding, genuinely is terrible. You're best bet is most likely the 1.2 tdi like Alex has said, or the 1.6 tdi.
chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

100% happy with my 1.2 TSI!!
Very small engine size so great milage - i get 50+mpg average, low tax - £100 a year. I also get about 10miles to every £1 of petrol i put in so from essex to liverpool on £25 with 2 extra people with festival equipment.
On the other size, the turbo gives it such a good punch, creamed over a 1.6 zetec s fiesta, demolished a 318 compact BMW and 1.8 honda civic... Cant ask for much more to be honest.
helloimjammie
Bronze Member

Post by helloimjammie »

chrispy. wrote:100% happy with my 1.2 TSI!!
On the other size, the turbo gives it such a good punch, creamed over a 1.6 zetec s fiesta, demolished a 318 compact BMW and 1.8 honda civic... Cant ask for much more to be honest.
100000% agree with Chrispy I love my 1.2 tsi, very nippy and responsive pulls in every gear I find, even in 6th cruising at 60 can easily pull into 80!

I find the fuel economy to be very good aswell, as long as you're sensible when driving it, if you drive it right you'll get a lot of miles out of a full tank of petrol!

It may only be a 1.2 but don't under estimate it!
chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

Yes Jammie!

Go and test drive one, you will not want to buy anything else..
Apart from a GTI of course ;)
lxm
Bronze Member

Post by lxm »

Well guys looks like im getting this sooner rather than later.

The anti roll bar came loose on my corsa (rusted brackets) yesterday and was hanging loose scraping along the road surface....had to do a quick fix with jubilee clips and zip ties.... :roll: Further to that my left indicator works 50/50.... Sometimes the indicator icon on the dash will stay solid green and not flash.... when checking the lights themselves no illumination.

What are the chances of all of this happening just when I need to run the car for 2 more months...ffs.

Dont get cash from Isa for another 4 weeks yet, but decided on a 1.2 or 1.6 TDI.

I'm going to miss my old motor though when I take it to the scrappie s, its done me well ;

Last edited by lxm on Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJ_7
Gold Member

Post by AJ_7 »

Before you commit to anything, please take on board the advice in this thread and go test drive a 1.2 TSi. I believe you could pick up one of these up whilst remaining in your budget.

My personal opinion,you can't go wrong with the 1.4 Petrol (85), 1.2 TSi Petrol (105) or either of the diesel variants!

AJ
calvinw1
Bronze Member

Post by calvinw1 »

+1 , you definitely should test drive a 1.2 tsi.
lxm
Bronze Member

Post by lxm »

is that the R-line ? thought they were a bit pricier
calvinw1
Bronze Member

Post by calvinw1 »

R Line or SEL, some are pricier, but if you look around you should be able to find one in your budget !
chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

The R Line are slightly more expensive because they have a different bodykit and modifications on the interior. And a few badges of course

Try get a SEL TSI, you could pick one up for £9k or something.
Wilxay
Silver Member

Post by Wilxay »

R lines are definitely worth the money IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk