Arm Rest

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Arm Rest

Post by SRGTD »

Fatherless One wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:39 am I didn't know the arm rest was an option in some countries, it's standard here in Australia.

However the LED headlights are an option here, I'd happily sacrifice my arm rest for the better headlights, I have the very un-exciting halogens in my new (2017) GTI.
Yes, we didn’t get the arm rest it as part of the standard spec in the UK and I agree with you on the headlights.
derkie54
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 Polo 1.0 110PS TSI SEL 5 Door

Post by derkie54 »

Fatherless One wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:41 am
SRGTD wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:03 pm I think it does. There are other threads on the 6r/6c board where members have retro-fitted this armrest - suggest you use the search facility and you should be able to find them, which should also confirm whether or not it would fit the 6c GTI.

If your car’s a manual, bear in mind that when the armrest is in the horizontal position, it can hinder use of the handbrake. This is one of the reasons I didn’t spec the armrest on my car when I ordered it as it’d be stored out of the way in the upright/vertical position pretty much all the time, so not used.
Mine's always in the upright position too.
Same here..........when it's down it's just in the way for gear changes and using the handbrake, poor design.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

VW should have spent a bit more money on the design and made it adjustable - fore-aft or telescopic like Audi did for the B8 A4, and wait until these Polos had moved onto a horrid electric handbrake before offering an arm rest.

On my wife's 2015 Polo SEL I tend to leave the arm rest up and rest my elbow on the short ledge at the hinge end. Also when parked up, the arm rest can not be lowered down far enough to engage the ratchet most of the time when the handbrake is on - maybe that is just an issue with that car! It always engages the ratchet when the handbrake is off and it can be lowered down a bit further, useless design carried forward from the old B5 A4/Passat - it almost worked okay in these older longer cars as there was more room.
EDI GTI
New
Drives: 2016 Polo GTI 6C

Post by EDI GTI »

Fatherless One wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:41 am
SRGTD wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:03 pm I think it does. There are other threads on the 6r/6c board where members have retro-fitted this armrest - suggest you use the search facility and you should be able to find them, which should also confirm whether or not it would fit the 6c GTI.

If your car’s a manual, bear in mind that when the armrest is in the horizontal position, it can hinder use of the handbrake. This is one of the reasons I didn’t spec the armrest on my car when I ordered it as it’d be stored out of the way in the upright/vertical position pretty much all the time, so not used.
Mine's always in the upright position too.
I'm the same, don't think I've ever used it as it just gets in the way. I didn't Spec it on the car either but they just put it in anyway for some reason.