MFSW Retrofit help

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
benhowarth6
Bronze Member

MFSW Retrofit help

Post by benhowarth6 »

Hello, I have a 6R GTI and I'm looking to get hold of some MFSW buttons for the steering wheel, does anybody know where I can get some or the part number for them from VW directly? Also any idea of price directly from VW?

Cheers
Ben
benhowarth6
Bronze Member

Re: MFSW Retrofit help

Post by benhowarth6 »

Okay so I think I've found the part number: 5K0998537B. Anybody know if this is the correct one and any indication of price?
Joe9n3
Bronze Member

Post by Joe9n3 »

i purchased the golf r ones (Gloss black) was about £70 from an ebay seller in ireland iirc (same as that part no.)

Just make sure you get the lower trim piece aswell and swap the r badge for the gti one :D

Literally plug and play, just follow the guide to take the airbag off very carefully :twisted:

Process takes no longer than 30 mins :D
NMavs
Gold Member

Post by NMavs »

Exactly as above. Piece of p**s plug and play. Got my silver ones through an ebay seller for £45. Silver ones are much cheaper than the black gloss ones. Each to there own :D
benhowarth6
Bronze Member

Post by benhowarth6 »

NMavs wrote:Exactly as above. Piece of p**s plug and play. Got my silver ones through an ebay seller for £45. Silver ones are much cheaper than the black gloss ones. Each to there own :D
I've been looking on eBay most days now and can't seem to find any, I'd probably prefer the silver ones, but since there are non available I may have to go direct to VW to get them.
phill_11
New

Post by phill_11 »

Recently had this done on a Blue GT. I Needed button set from eBay or VW part number 5KO 998 537B and steering wheel control unit 5KO 959 542. I also required a Mfsw wiring loom that was provided by Hazzy Dayz ltd who were the company that came out to fit the items. This was completed in around an hour at my house and cost around the two hundred and forty figure including local fit charge and labour. Not the cheapest route maybe but all was done cleanly and efficiently and all functions operate as they should. I also had static cornering fogs coded in at the same time in this figure. The wheel in a Blue GT is already a flat bottom type but without buttons and on a manual so no paddles.
niallh
New

Post by niallh »

I got some buttons from Eddie gt on here and the installation was easy bar removing the airbag, have to be quite forceful with it.
phill_11
New

Post by phill_11 »

Did you need any of the other items or is your polo Dsg equipped as I am led to believe that this is a much easier fit as it does not require column loom and extra control unit?
benhowarth6
Bronze Member

Post by benhowarth6 »

niallh wrote:I got some buttons from Eddie gt on here and the installation was easy bar removing the airbag, have to be quite forceful with it.
Hi, I also got some buttons from Eddie gt but I'm struggling to remove the airbag, I'm able to pull the clips all the way down so that they are not latched on anymore but the airbag just won't budge, I've had a look at numerous tutorials but none mention anything more than pressing the clips down.

Here are some pictures:

Of the clip normally:

Of the clip pressed down:

So as you can see I've got the clip all the way down but pulling on the airbag just pulls the clip back up, what am I doing wrong?

Cheers
Ben
niallh
New

Post by niallh »

I'm in Leeds aswell. Don't mind giving you a hand if you need it. Pm me if you want
NMavs
Gold Member

Post by NMavs »

You need to do one side at a time pal. Use a flat head screwdriver to pull the clip free and then at the same time pull the airbag towards you. Then do the sane on the opposite side. Its tough but you have to be a bit brutal with it pal. Took me a while to figure it out.
greypolo9n3
Gold Member
Drives: white 6r 1.6 tdi rline/gti

Post by greypolo9n3 »

That airbags a right bastard!! lol

the normal SE ones are okay..

these GTi/Rline ones are held in place with 4 pins with springs on them..you have to be as strong as superman to pull them out

If your careful enough you can slide a small screwdriver inside and push from where the pins sit...wouldnt recommend it if your not sure about it though
niallh
New

Post by niallh »

Ben. I can't reply to your pm as I've not got enough posts. Can you pm me again with your number so I can get in contact