Drum Brake Pantage!

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
aaronon
Gold Member

Drum Brake Pantage!

Post by aaronon »

Hey!

I know you guys all have the more expensive models with 4 brake discs , but I have drum brakes at the back - and just like my last Polo they're all rusty.

My previous Polo 9N was black and so I went for Hammerite Hammered Black and it looked alright. . .but with this car, I'm nimbus grey, ill have bigger (dark grey / carbon look) wheels so they'll be more exposed so I don't know what colour I should go for.

Has anyone got any tips?

Hammered Silver might be a bit too bright and silvery. . .but I'm not sure if black will look wrong. Smooth silver looks good if you've got silver alloys!

I'd ask Volkswagen for the official paint they use but its crap as it ALWAYS appears to rust :(
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Drum Brake Pantage!

Post by RUM4MO »

Well, being a fussy buggar while I was looking after my oldest daughter's Ibiza 59 plate, I also felt that rusty grey drums looked crap. After a lot of faffing around like you seem to have done, I settled on taking the drums off attacking them with a wire brush and coating them with Hammerite grey primer/rust killer stuff. After a few weeks I gave up on getting any grey paint that was "flat" and after chatting to the local car parts place, I settled on a spray can of stuff that is meant for coating the underside of cars, ie will take a bit of abuse - but I was worried about temperature rating - the car parts guy reminded me that unless I was doing something really serious with the car, the rear drums just would not get very hot. After running like that for 9 months he was right, but, I could have done a lot better in the "anti rust" stakes as it is coming back! I'd say, clean the drums off very well and coat with proper anti rust paint properly, then maybe, if they are now nothing like grey, spray on Hammerite grey rust inhibitor/primer and finish off with the grey under body coating stuff, the final colour is okay.

By the way, I would not waste time asking VW for that paint as they will not know what it is I'd reckon.
aaronon
Gold Member

Post by aaronon »

Thank you :)
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Right, I've just been out to the garage to check up on exactly what I used, and, it was Hammerite No1 RUST BEATER GREY (brush paint), followed by HYCOTE STONEGUARD GREY (spray can). Now, to stay like original, the finish needs to be Satin or Flat, this stoneguard stuff does get somewhere between the two! One thing got me thinking though, and that was, why does Hammerite not do sell a grey paint as there must be plenty places where people want a grey finish and not a silver finish, silver is great and I've used that a lot especially on the underside of cars that are silver, but using it where grey was used originally does not tick all the boxes for some people. Black Hammerite I use a lot, especially the Satin finish to recoat the running gear, like rear beam, brake shields (unless they have changed to light grey/silver like my S4) and other suspension parts.
Ben90
Silver Member
Drives: Olympian Blue Polo TDi Sport

Post by Ben90 »

Hammerite do a paint called Direct To Rust which is great for unprotected metal and is designed to be painted on rusty surfaces. A bit of surface prep mainly to get the loose rust off and that's all you need, a brass brush (like a toothbrush) is ideal.

Apparently it's primer, colour and top coat all in one and lasts around 5 years at least. I painted my calipers with it last year and it still looks like new despite all the heat, brake dust, pressure washes and wheel cleaner applied. I recommend it.

One small tin is more than enough for four wheels, two coats on each.

Hope this helps
aaronon
Gold Member

Post by aaronon »

Thanks a lot guys will look into all these when the wheels come :)
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

Ben90 wrote:Hammerite do a paint called Direct To Rust which is great for unprotected metal and is designed to be painted on rusty surfaces. A bit of surface prep mainly to get the loose rust off and that's all you need, a brass brush (like a toothbrush) is ideal.
Yeah, I used this on mine as well when I had drums. Went for satin black. I ended up just taking the drums off, going over with a wire brush and then a few spray coats. It certainly still looked good when I sold the car a year later...
greypolo9n3
Gold Member
Drives: white 6r 1.6 tdi rline/gti

Post by greypolo9n3 »

IDEA!!!...why dont you do what i did

Find a breaking polo 6R, 9n or 9n3

Get the rear hubs off with discs and calipers..

and swap your crappy drums with discs

Looks alot more attractive trust meeee

i used the hubs from my old 9n3 and put the drums of my 6R onto that lololol
aaronon
Gold Member

Post by aaronon »

Haha yeah that sounds cool but the drums don't really bother me aside from the rust and plus I don't fancy altering the car insurance that much lol
greypolo9n3
Gold Member
Drives: white 6r 1.6 tdi rline/gti

Post by greypolo9n3 »

Tbh there is no way the insurance can pick up on this. It's not like your putting huge performance brakes on. Your just making your car like every other