iPhone 5s Connector

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Tompfaa
New

iPhone 5s Connector

Post by Tompfaa »

Quick question figured you guys would be the people to know.

The MDI cable fit is for an iPhone 4 connector however having just upgraded to a 5S recently I needed a new cable - my local VW told me that an iPhone 5 cable is £70! Can this be right? Or does anyone else have any solution?

Thanks
benhowarth6
Bronze Member

Re: iPhone 5s Connector

Post by benhowarth6 »

The 30-Pin connector (iPhone 4) to Lightning connector (iPhone 5) adaptor that Apple sell works fine, it needs to be the genuine Apple one however as the cheaper ones don't support audio, I believe they sell them for around £25, works fine.

Ben
chrispy.
Gold Member

iPhone 5s Connector

Post by chrispy. »

Do you have the VW Usb connector? If so, just plug a lightening cable into that and will work just as good.
Ive done that in my car as ive got the iPhone 5.
Or as Ben suggested, £25 will get you the adaptor which will do the same.
Wilxay
Silver Member

iPhone 5s Connector

Post by Wilxay »

Yep get a genuine apple 30 pin to lightning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
benhowarth6
Bronze Member

Post by benhowarth6 »

chrispy. wrote:Do you have the VW Usb connector? If so, just plug a lightening cable into that and will work just as good.
Ive done that in my car as ive got the iPhone 5.
Or as Ben suggested, £25 will get you the adaptor which will do the same.
Does that work with music though or just charging? Couldn't get it to recognise mine by connecting the lightning cable to usb...
chrispy.
Gold Member

iPhone 5s Connector

Post by chrispy. »

When i picked my car up, it worked with Audio and charging.

Ill check mine today to make sure I'm not telling porkies
Tompfaa
New

Post by Tompfaa »

Yeh I tried with the USB cable and it just charged but I'll follow your advice with the adapter. Thanks guys!
Arran
New

Post by Arran »

How VW can justify £70 for a cable is beyond me! :?
calvinw1
Bronze Member

Post by calvinw1 »

Tompfaa wrote:Quick question figured you guys would be the people to know.

The MDI cable fit is for an iPhone 4 connector however having just upgraded to a 5S recently I needed a new cable - my local VW told me that an iPhone 5 cable is £70! Can this be right? Or does anyone else have any solution?

Thanks
000051446Q is the part number for the MDI lightning connector. This retails at £33.33 (excl VAT), £40.00 (incl VAT)

"Note that the connector can only be used in conjunction with RCD 310, RCD 510 and RCD 550 radios, and the RCD 850, RNS 510 and RNS 310/315 radio navigation systems."

I can't see why your local VW has asked for so much? I personally think the extra £15 would be worth it to have something with a 2 year warranty, considering how fragile lightning cables/adapters seem to be! I've got one and had no issues at all so far!
Deepz
New

Post by Deepz »

Hey guys, does this cable 100% work with music playback from the iPhone? So the music is played through the lightning port, no auxiliary cable required? Thanks
calvinw1
Bronze Member

Post by calvinw1 »

Deepz wrote:Hey guys, does this cable 100% work with music playback from the iPhone? So the music is played through the lightning port, no auxiliary cable required? Thanks
Yes, I have one in my car. Full functionality along with charging your device :)
Deepz
New

Post by Deepz »

Thanks mate! Just one last question, can you answer calls with the headunit (without bluetooth)?
calvinw1
Bronze Member

Post by calvinw1 »

You could do, but you'd need to have the glovebox open to shout at your phone for them to hear you lol!

Probably better to have it connected in the glovebox and then connected to the bluetooth :)