New GTI

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
PeterWestSussex
New
Drives: 1.2 TSI 110 SEL DSG in white, 2015

Re: New GTI

Post by PeterWestSussex »

stephen60 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:33 pm and is yellow exclamation mark in a yellow triangle and a message appears for a short time between the rev counter and speedo ... I usually associate that type of symbol with ' stop the car, take it straight to the dealer' etc".....
Yes indeed! Thanks all for these helpful replies. I am currently over-using my w/wash fluid every time I have the car out so that I can see for sure what the warning is on my particular version. I will then be able to complete this entry!
pipsyp
Getting There!
Drives: Pure White 6C GTi 3 door manual

Post by pipsyp »

joe6 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:06 pm According to the VW web site the low screen wash indicator is a part of the winter pack and includes the headlight washers and is not standard with just LEDs but we all know that the site is not always correct. Seems that headlight washer is a requirement for low screen wash warning.
Yeah they are a requirement for sure. The level sensor serves to deactivate the headlamp washers when triggered to preserve fluid and prevent the cyclical pump used to drive the headlamp washers from being damaged. Quite clever really.

Not sure if its due to the lights being reflector based or the lumen output takes them over the threshold but all 6Cs with the LEDs have washers as well as headlamp levelling...lots of LED lights dont need these.
jmccann
New
Drives: 6C GTI

Post by jmccann »

Ok, so I've had a REALLY annoying rattle coming from the glovebox area since I owned my GTI. It's been back to VW more times than I can remember for various rattles, but they could never fix this one. Fed up with it, I decided to try and fix it myself. I removed the glovebox, end of dash panel and passenger side vent, then proceeded to push/hit the dash so I could hone in on it. I eventually narrowed it down to the metal framework that connects the dash assembly to the chassis right where the glovebox is located. Whenever I pressed it, it would creak/rattle so I decided to loosen the main bolt just under the top of dash (think it's 13MM) to see if it would still do it. Noise disappeared so I tightened the bolt back up expecting it to come back, however, it didn't.. Haven't heard it since. There are still plenty of rattles in the car, but this was really loud and I was getting to the end of my tether with it. Hope this can help anyone else with a similar problem..
TBjork
New
Drives: Polo GTI 1.8

Post by TBjork »

So I installed Supersprint cat back to my Polo Gti 6C (768913 Centre pipe 768936 Rear exhaust OO80). Not very pleased because of the drone around 3000 rpm. This gets very annoying with greater level of throttle. Will try to switch out the Center pipe (muffler delete) to an another with muffler...
JaegerStriker
Bronze Member

Post by JaegerStriker »

recently purchased my GTI. 2015 plate 7000 miles. just wondering if anyone else is getting large amounts of white fog/smoke from their exhausts when waiting in traffic and a strong smell on startup. not sure if its due to the colder weather or not. first turbo car ive owned so this is all new to me.
TIA
PeterWestSussex
New

JaegerStriker wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:29 pm getting large amounts of white fog/smoke from their exhausts when waiting in traffic
Despite keeping car in garage overnight in this weather (so engine is at around 10 deg C on startup),I see in the rear view mirrors plumes of exhaust 'output' on first pulling away. Haven't noticed it thereafter but I will now keep an eye open! I run on Shell Regular petrol with added Redex. Around town/short trips I'm getting around 42mpg; on longer journeys it's around 49mpg.
PeterWestSussex
New

PeterWestSussex wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:39 am I am currently over-using my w/wash fluid every time I have the car out so that I can see for sure what the warning is on my particular version. I will then be able to complete this entry!
Update: The warning comprises both symbols and text BUT these are restricted to the central screen/window between the speedo and rev counter dials. NO symbols appear amongst the plethora of symbols scattered around both the speedo and rev counter dials (which is where I was expecting to see the warning appear!). Not a problem as low washer fluid level warning is VERY clear!
jmccann
New

Post by jmccann »

Does my oil consumption seem excessive? Car serviced at VW - 19,850 Miles (August 17) just checked my oil before heading out on a long journey and it was just below the low notch on the dip stick - currently at 24,808 Miles. No light had came on. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I’ve put 0.5L in to keep me going. Just surprised to see it so low after only 5K Miles.
JaegerStriker
Bronze Member

Post by JaegerStriker »

my GTI, huge improvement over the 1l SE i had previously
Attachments
26870136_246484125890942_6606768262371868672_n.jpg
Circle6C9
New
Drives: Pure White 6C GTi

Post by Circle6C9 »

jmccann wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:24 pm Does my oil consumption seem excessive? Car serviced at VW - 19,850 Miles (August 17) just checked my oil before heading out on a long journey and it was just below the low notch on the dip stick - currently at 24,808 Miles. No light had came on. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I’ve put 0.5L in to keep me going. Just surprised to see it so low after only 5K Miles.
I certainly wouldn't concern yourself there - sounds like it's maybe used a litre in 5,000 miles. The warning light certainly won't come on while there's still oil anywhere on the stick - which is why it's important to check it regularly - you don't want to get to the stage of the warning light.

I had a MKII Fabia vRS - same engine as the 6R and same oil consumption issues - to be fair I had it for five years with no significant issues but then decided that was long enough to be playing twin-charger Russian roulette.
EDI GTI
New
Drives: 2016 Polo GTI 6C

Post by EDI GTI »

PeterWestSussex wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:39 am
stephen60 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:33 pm and is yellow exclamation mark in a yellow triangle and a message appears for a short time between the rev counter and speedo ... I usually associate that type of symbol with ' stop the car, take it straight to the dealer' etc".....
Yes indeed! Thanks all for these helpful replies. I am currently over-using my w/wash fluid every time I have the car out so that I can see for sure what the warning is on my particular version. I will then be able to complete this entry!
The washer fluid in my 2016 car is the same with the yellow triangle in the centre of the dash - on the left of where the (!) for the Parking break light is. I however also get a warning that pops up when I turn the car on warning me that the fluid level is low in the little screen between the dials, that then disappears and on the opposite side of the trip computer (so on the opposite side where it shows your mileage) a little windscreen washer symbol remains.

I currently have a faulty sensor so even thought the reservoir is full it keeps coming on - super annoying feature once you can't get rid of it!!!
josh_marji
New
Drives: GTI 6C

Post by josh_marji »

Looking at getting an induction kit, currently stuck between Revo and Racingline. Can anyone recommend which is best and why? Thanks
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

josh_marji wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:55 pm Looking at getting an induction kit, currently stuck between Revo and Racingline. Can anyone recommend which is best and why? Thanks
ive got the racing line one on mt gti and tbh i'd recommend it

it's a trade off

revo goes right to the turbo but is an open style

racing line is fully enclosed but uses the oem turbo elbow
josh_marji
New
Drives: GTI 6C

Post by josh_marji »

Ok thanks, I think I am going to go with Revo as I have a dealer near me. Have you upgraded your exhaust?
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

josh_marji wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:39 pm Ok thanks, I think I am going to go with Revo as I have a dealer near me. Have you upgraded your exhaust?
Not yet but I'll be going for a milltek sports cat and resonated exhaust.

But before that on the list is an uprated clutch ready for the is38 :evil: