New GTI

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Andy4791
Silver Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2015

New GTI

Post by Andy4791 »

Hello there, just signed up to forum today.
I currently own a 2012 Fiesta Zetec S, im looking to swap to a new car around June/July. I fancy something thats good to drive again but with more power.
On Monday i test drove a Fiesta ST in which the power and handling was fantastic but to be honest was quite put off by the overly hard ride which seemed to be causing numerous squeaks and rattles not to mention being tiresome in everyday use i'd imagine. Because of this i've turned my attention to a new Polo GTi. My local dealer wont have one for a while to test drive so drove an SE/design 1.2 to just get a feel for a polo, i was pretty impressed in refinement and quality and seemed to be a decent drive and a nice car overall.
The dealer is now arranging a drive in a Blue GT for me as its more or less on the same suspension setup as the new GTi.
Any comments on build quality of the Polo and ride quality of the GT or GTi would be welcome plus any other info would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Andy.
Mayhem
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 polo 1.2 tsi

Re: New GTI

Post by Mayhem »

Cant comment on the gti but i was torn between a fiesta and my tsi. Polo is much nicer inside and looks more grown up and less boy racer imo. However i think the fiesta is a much better handling car as standard. If your looking at ST and GTi spec i cant imagine the ride being much different other than the fiesta probably corners better when pushed hard. I dont regret getting the Polo one bit but both are cars at different ends of the scale. Fiesta is more about power and handling and the Polo is more refined and less in your face. Just my thoughts. I wouldnt say the Polo is more or less reliable than the Ford in this day and age
Jamwllms
New
Drives: Polo 6C BlueGT

Post by Jamwllms »

A lot of people on this forum who have gotten new Polos at the higher end of the spectrum have gotten BlueGTs. I personally went into the dealership with very intention of getting a GTI, but the dealer convinced me otherwise. It does have the updated exterior which the BlueGT is lacking, but the minor performance shortfall I think is massively compensated for by its sensible nature. Good economy and cheap tax. I definitely feel like I've made the logical choice, but I'll be able to confirm that when I collect my BlueGT next month. ;]
JohnPolo
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI

Post by JohnPolo »

I sat in a Blue GT on the day I was ordering my new GTI. It happened to be positioned next to the sales guy's desk. It seems to be hallowed territory on here and I did think it was a smart motor and could genuinely see why so many had ordered one, but I also felt that it was a halfway house. After having every Polo GTI that has ever been available in the UK I never felt like ditching it for the GT that afternoon.
The new GTI's have the newer bumpers for a start which gives it that slightly more aggressive look. Have a good look on you tube at the various 2014/ 2015 GTI reviews to give you a better perspective on handling and design.

I have read the reviews of the Fiesta ST, fantastic drive but tedious over time because of it's hard ride setting.
So....order yourself a GTI and tick the 'Sports Performance Pack', this will give you that little button on the dash that enables you to decide how hard or soft the ride is. :wink:

Piston heads seems to be the place where new GTI owners are slowly appearing and declaring their hand. :D

For me full fat all the way not some skinny latte.

Good luck and I wish you well in whatever you choose.
Andy4791
Silver Member

Post by Andy4791 »

Thanks so far for all the comments, some very good points in them all. Never owned a VW of any sort b4 so its good to find out from the people who know and own them
JohnPolo
Silver Member

Post by JohnPolo »

Jamwllms wrote:A lot of people on this forum who have gotten new Polos at the higher end of the spectrum have gotten BlueGTs. I personally went into the dealership with very intention of getting a GTI, but the dealer convinced me otherwise. It does have the updated exterior which the BlueGT is lacking, but the minor performance shortfall I think is massively compensated for by its sensible nature. Good economy and cheap tax. I definitely feel like I've made the logical choice, but I'll be able to confirm that when I collect my BlueGT next month. ;]

I'm surprised your dealer did that and I would suspect that when the GTI's start appearing at the dealerships he'll change his mind.
I know my dealer well and as we walked passed the Blue GT i commented that I understood that they were very popular. He replied that it was a cracking little car but wait until I got my new GTI because it was in a different league.
Pays your money and you takes your choice I guess.
Jamwllms
New
Drives: Polo 6C BlueGT

Post by Jamwllms »

JohnPolo wrote:
Jamwllms wrote:A lot of people on this forum who have gotten new Polos at the higher end of the spectrum have gotten BlueGTs. I personally went into the dealership with very intention of getting a GTI, but the dealer convinced me otherwise. It does have the updated exterior which the BlueGT is lacking, but the minor performance shortfall I think is massively compensated for by its sensible nature. Good economy and cheap tax. I definitely feel like I've made the logical choice, but I'll be able to confirm that when I collect my BlueGT next month. ;]

I'm surprised your dealer did that and I would suspect that when the GTI's start appearing at the dealerships he'll change his mind.
I know my dealer well and as we walked passed the Blue GT i commented that I understood that they were very popular. He replied that it was a cracking little car but wait until I got my new GTI because it was in a different league.
Pays your money and you takes your choice I guess.
He himself had a BlueGT so I guess that's why he was loving on it so much. The GTI certainly looks a lot sharper with the new look.
Andy4791
Silver Member

Post by Andy4791 »

I'm seriously tempted on the GTi lol
Anybody know how many settings the Sport Performance Kit with Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC) has..eg comfort,normal and sport or is it just normal amd sport. Its a £245 option so seems decent value.
Wolfi
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI

Post by Wolfi »

JohnPolo wrote:I sat in a Blue GT on the day I was ordering my new GTI. It happened to be positioned next to the sales guy's desk. It seems to be hallowed territory on here and I did think it was a smart motor and could genuinely see why so many had ordered one, but I also felt that it was a halfway house. After having every Polo GTI that has ever been available in the UK I never felt like ditching it for the GT that afternoon.
The new GTI's have the newer bumpers for a start which gives it that slightly more aggressive look. Have a good look on you tube at the various 2014/ 2015 GTI reviews to give you a better perspective on handling and design.

I have read the reviews of the Fiesta ST, fantastic drive but tedious over time because of it's hard ride setting.
So....order yourself a GTI and tick the 'Sports Performance Pack', this will give you that little button on the dash that enables you to decide how hard or soft the ride is. :wink:

Piston heads seems to be the place where new GTI owners are slowly appearing and declaring their hand. :D

For me full fat all the way not some skinny latte.

Good luck and I wish you well in whatever you choose.
^^This! As much as the BlueGT looks a great car, I always felt that it was neither here nor there - but then I guess that sort of is the idea!
I would always have a GTI if I was spending £17,000+ on a Polo. Personally, driving a BlueGT would always feel like a GTI wannabe.
But then that's just me!
JohnPolo
Silver Member

Post by JohnPolo »

Is it a Blue GT, no, it's a blue GTI !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWsSqAHw_LY

Although I note that this one doesn't have the 'sport button' on the dash, which is a UK option.
Andy4791
Silver Member

Post by Andy4791 »

Nice lol
Andy4791
Silver Member

Post by Andy4791 »

Nice, anyone know what modes the sport button has, ie just normal an sport? Or is it comfort,normal then sport
Redline
Sponsor
Drives: Skoda Octavia vRS

Post by Redline »

I think the Blue GT gained a lot of popularity due to a) the relatively cheaper price against the 6R 1.4TSI GTI, and b) the issues (whether real or not) with that GTI's 1.4TSI engine and DSG 'box combination.

Given the price difference now between the Blue GT and 6C GTI (less than £1k on list price), and the new 1.8 TSI engine, I imagine there'll be more people opting for the GTI over the Blue GT now - especially when they hit the showrooms.

Blue GT is a very good car, but I had no doubt about ordering a GTI over one.
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Post by skipster »

Yes - GTI would be my choice also given the very small price differential between the 2 models. I think you are right, the GT did gain a lot of popularity given the choice of manual or DSG, brisk performance (not that much slower than the GTI), exceptional fuel consumption with the ACT technology, cheap tax and so on. The oil consumption issues of the GTI (I was one of them), was another factor with the 1.4 Twin charge engine on earlier models.
Andy4791
Silver Member

Post by Andy4791 »

Many squeaks or rattles?