Plug and Play Sound system (Sub and Amp)

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
x1022x
New

Re: Plug and Play Sound system (Sub and Amp)

Post by x1022x »

Hi

Just to let you know that I recently installed the Helix P&P in my Golf. After paying an extortionate price for the programming dongle, I am loaning it out! It is only needed to program once, then removed.

Get in touch if this will help anyone out!

Cheers
marky9074
Getting There!
Drives: GTI

Post by marky9074 »

Hi there,

First post. Just picked up a new GTI, and am looking to fit this, and see that on eBay.de it is still available for EUR 368 more or less.

I got the impression (from reading up) that the program dongle is not needed for the Polo (as the kit is already configured - setup seven and eight). Also seeing a few posts about the Laserline tool, and buying that to make the connections behind the head unit easier?

Any updates on this retrofit would be much appreciated. I have no problem ripping off trim, but I was going to do it at the dealers, but some posts I've read have put me off..

Cheers,

Mark
Last edited by marky9074 on Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
x1022x
New

Post by x1022x »

Hi, my only experience is having fitted this to my Golf, but I found it very straight forward.

I used the terminal removal tool, couldn't have done it without it.

The forums suggested that the Golf version came programmed for the MK7 5 door GTI, but mine wasn't! Even those that were reported back that the sound improved noticeably after being programmed with the dongle.

Good luck, and let me know it you would like to hire my dongle and terminal removal tool.

Cheers
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Fitting indeed is not that difficult. Mine came pre-setup as a VW Golf 7 as well.
I just bought one for a friend for EUR 250, in used but mint condition. Nice upgrade, really worth it.
marky9074
Getting There!

Post by marky9074 »

How do you know what it is pre setup as (presumably it can only be read by the dongle)? Will keep my eyes peeled then for a second hand one?
iichel

Post by iichel »

Exactly. Own a dongle ;)
x1022x
New

Post by x1022x »

Unfortunately there is no way of telling. When you plug the dongle in it briefly flashes the code, but as I said, for some strange reason there is an immediate improvement even if the number was correct.
x1022x
New

Post by x1022x »

I have found this information about the dongle, which makes sense:

Note that the number that will display when you first plug in and power up the programmer is NOT necessarily the current program that is stored and being used in the sub amplifier itself.

It is actually the number -- stored inside the memory of the programming dongle itself -- of the last-flashed program, whether the one set at the factory if new, or the last one used by a previous user/programmer.

That's why you can often see the program number for your own vehicle when you first plug it in, but then finally hear the results of the new program once you commit the new program and write to the sub amplifier.

So, make sure you write to the amp no matter what number comes up first in the programming dongle!
marky9074
Getting There!

Post by marky9074 »

Thats good info, thanks!
x1022x
New

Post by x1022x »

No problem - that must be why people are seeing improvements despite seeing the correct code flash up when first connecting!

These are not cheap, and I would have hired rather than purchased outright if someone was offering it! You only need once, then it's not needed any more.

Cheers
marky9074
Getting There!

Post by marky9074 »

I will probably buy this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Polo-6C-6- ... SwiYFXJxsA

It says there is an optional 'screw' and optional 'bypass plug', though its not obvious how you add these options.... Bypass plus makes sense, but the optional 'screw'...???
iichel

Post by iichel »

Longer screw to hold it in its place. The normal screw for the spare wheel is a bit short in some models.
x1022x
New

Post by x1022x »

On the Golf the kit comes with a small plug that you fit on RHD cars.
marky9074
Getting There!

Post by marky9074 »

So any idea if in a Polo (6C GTI) I need the longer screw? To be honest I had read about a longer screw, but I thought that was in regard to retaining the spare wheel and holding them both in place (though logically that makes no sense if you think about it).
marky9074
Getting There!

Post by marky9074 »

Managed to find one that has come out of a Golf Mk7. He said it was in a 2013 model, then later a 2015 model. Reading the earlier comments on this thread it implied that earlier versions of this P/N would not work with the MiB2? Is this correct? If so guess the German eBay one is the only option...