iichels Polo 6R 1.6TDI DSG --> OEM++ R-Line conversion

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: iichels Polo 6R 1.2TDI Rosa Line Bluemotion

Post by iichel »

Yes, I'll have to replace the front steering gear as well. It's on its way and I'll do it soon to get rid of the old steering gear.
Now it's still leaking a bit of oil that is caught in a plastic bag. Not the most ideal solution I suppose.

I think the Polo Sedan nowadays has the electromechanical system as well by the way.
They come with a 6RF system or 1S (VW Up!) system.
i.e. https://uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=71394, https://uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=69603, http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread. ... rod-values

The feeling is rather different and I must say, and maybe it's a placebo effect, that it's better.
It feels a lot more direct and it's nice to be able to set the power steering in 20% steps.
I now have it on 'dynamic' opposed to comfort and 80% so it feels a bit heavier. This makes it feel a bit more prone to feedback.

I don't feel like it's a world of difference, but it's a nice additon.
iichel

Post by iichel »

On top of the Kaunentaler Gletsjer Strasse in the Valley of the Weisseespitz in Austria. It was actually freezing up there!

ciclo
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

Nice place. Image
ORiOn
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo BlueGT / Audi S5

Post by ORiOn »

You should come to Geneva someday :mrgreen:
iichel

Post by iichel »

ORiOn wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:27 pm You should come to Geneva someday :mrgreen:
I'm in Geneva every year in March to visit the Autosalon ;)
ORiOn
Bronze Member

Post by ORiOn »

iichel wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:31 pm
ORiOn wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:27 pm You should come to Geneva someday :mrgreen:
Who isn't hehe :P
iichel

Post by iichel »

ORiOn wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:43 am

Haha cheers, you're right. But I haven't seen you there :lol:
Do you know, is there any active Swiss VW or Polo club?

----------------

Yesterday my Polo turned 7 years old (20/6/2011). This was the car 7 years ago (not brand spanky new of course, but in standard configuration):

ag69
Silver Member
Drives: 1.2TSi 77Kw 7DSG

Post by ag69 »

Yesterday my Polo turned 7 years old (20/6/2011). This was the car 7 years ago (not brand spanky new of course, but in standard configuration):
Congratulations. your car does not look a 7 year any bit from any angles.
Happy Driving and more modifications!!
ORiOn
Bronze Member

Post by ORiOn »

iichel wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:56 am
ORiOn wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:43 am

Haha cheers, you're right. But I haven't seen you there :lol:
Do you know, is there any active Swiss VW or Polo club?
Not really... I've created a facebook group, in french, but it's not very active... And all other groups that i know are french...
7he4Ce
New
Drives: Polo 6R 1.2 TDI 2014

Post by 7he4Ce »

iichel wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:59 pm In preparation of a great mod, CC by MFS for PQ25, all credits to spacewalker, some parts...
- Steering wheel for Polo 6C R-Line with buttons 6C0 959 442A
- Golf 7 GTI Clubsport airbag with wrong loom (loom must be 5G0971584E)
- Two modules extra

All powered by Poland (allegro.pl and spacewalker)

I'll have to do some wiring next week, for now I'm happy the parts are all here.

Hello iichel,

I saw your post, and I was hoping if you could please clarify some things to me.

Is your new Golf 7 GTI Clubsport airbag's product number 5G0 880 201 AC HVF ???
I read your whole thread anxiously and i saw you sold your old MFSW and combo of 5G0 880 201 J airbag + 7E0 971 584 C wires.

I bought a MFSW from scirocco without CC + red backlight buttons, (like the one you sold). I am trying to figure out if its gonna work with 7E0 971 584 C wires (already have them) + 5G0 880 201 AC HVF airbag( haven't bought yet).
(I have a PQ25 polo 6R ,installed bcm high 2017 for button illumination, saw all the mfsw install guides, already installed LIN + power...)

If i understand correctly, the above combination of these 3 items should work correctly, because 5G0 880 201 AC HVF airbag has also (2 ground + 1 horn) therefore it is a direct replacement of 5G0 880 201 J (2 ground + 1 horn) that you had before.

You said above "loom must be 5G0971584E" but to me, it is unclear why. (maybe because of your emulator module? in that case it does not apply to me)

Also, please be mindful of an airbag recall that has been issued, which includes 5G0 880 201 AC HVF models (if that is indeed your new airbag model). Recalls are made according to vehicle VIN, not according to airbag's date of manufacture. But we dont know what batch (production date) of airbags were installed in these problematic VINs. Please take care.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2016/R ... 5-5911.pdf

This is the reason i plan to buy the airbag from the dealership directly, so 800 EURO cost, no refunds, no returns if something is incompatible. That would be a really expensive mistake! Thats why i ask all these questions. I hope you can excuse me. :oops:

Have a great day!!
iichel

Post by iichel »

Hi 7he4Ce (interesting username :-) ) and thank you for your comprehensive and informative post. Looks like you did your homework very very well.

The main difference between the 7E0 and 5G0 loom is that the 7E0 loom has two ground points attaching to the airbag and the 5G0 loom only has one.
The Clubsport airbag has one location for a ground point, so therefore I took the aforementioned loom.

Another difference is that the 7E0 loom will lead the signal cable for the horn to the MFSW module. The 5G0 loom will lead this said wire to the slip ring.
Indeed that is necessary for the external module I'm using. I'm not sure whether you'll find a loom with one GND point and the horn wire to the MFSW module.
Regardless, it's not very difficult to re-route such a wire to make it work correctly.

Regarding the part number of the airbag, I'm not sure whether mine is affected or not but I'm thankful for your information regarding possible bad behaviour of the igniter.
I did not buy mine from de dealer directly but from one of my main sources for car parts on eBay. I do trust them, but I'll check whether mine is affected by the problem you mention.
My airbag was brand new and produced in late 2017, so maybe it's too new to be affected; I'll have to check.

I hope this information is useful enough to help you do what you need. If not, feel free to ask, anytime.
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

There are 5G0 loom with two ground connections ... (G) ... which can be configured as the 7E0.
In fact it is what I did 500 millennia ago ... before installing some 7E0 and finally the 7E0 ... ... C.

By other side, there are Clubsport airbags (I mean with the hexagonal pattern) with two ground points... 5G0 880 201 AC HVF
:arrow: https://uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?f=56 ... 73#p536973

It's all I have to say in this regard ..., to avoid future urban legends. :lol:
7he4Ce
New
Drives: Polo 6R 1.2 TDI 2014

Post by 7he4Ce »

Hehe, its a cyberpunk-esque/industrial inspired way to spell "the ace". Thanks for your kind words! I try to gather as much info as i can, but i often hit obstacles.

So, from all the above, i have come to the conclusion that the 7E0 971 584 C is the "go-to" wiring loom for a normal PQ25 polo, because we need 2 gnd + 1 horn connections for the horn to work. And of course we need to match the loom with a correct airbag that also has 2 gnd + 1 horn sockets. We have visual confirmation by ciclo that 5G0 880 201 AC HVF has indeed (2 gnd + 1 horn) sockets.
But we havent got hard evidence of it installed and actually working in a retrofit yet. Do we expect it to work fine though?

I mean, i am probably being overly irrational here, but who knows what tiny difference VW may have introduced to the physical placement of these 3 connectors on the airbag body as part of the horn circuit. (...most likely none)
Any opinions about this?

For example, i bought used genuine silver AC vent trims from ebay, to replace my black stock ones, and i mistakenly chose trims from 2015 6C Polo. The trims are identical from the outside (a mix of shinier chrome/aluminum fyi, instead of the satin aluminum ones from 2014), but their attachment clips are juuust 1mm to the left in comparison to the old ones (i think whole vent assembly fits though). It was a mix of funny/infuriating when i found out. Someone must have designed them this way on purpose, for the sake of incompatibility, like it often happens in various other industries too. This is the reason im reluctant.

As far as your airbag is concerned, of course providing safety-related info i come across, is the least i can do. I think 5G0 880 201 L HVF has 1gnd +1horn with hex pattern, so i'd bet that's your product number. The above pdf i posted only mentions recalls for AC / Q / S models i think.
Either way, by production date alone, you should be in the clear, since the recall time frame ends in Feb 2017. By that time, one would hope that Autoliv (igniter manufacturer) had already sorted out their explosive mixture inconsistencies. :? But of course we should not rely on hope alone for these things. Also i dont know if we can cross-check the airbag's serial# directly with the manufacturer to verify its authenticity/safety. Dealerships work with VIN alone.

Thanks for your help, and making me feel welcome! Good info exchange + good attitude = great mods! Happy to contribute if i can. But what else is there to contribute? I've been following your threads closely, you guys have hit the next level with your car mods. Is there anything you havent modded yet? Door handles still stock? :o :lol: I recently installed a sleek illuminated gear-shift knob that i could provide pictures of, if you're running out of things to tinker with. :lol:
iichel

Post by iichel »

A big thanks to benzinkopf who made a frame for the rear heated seats button and it looks absolutely perfect.
I'm really happy to finally finish the mod. It looks like it's from factory!

If I didn't have 185cm of length, legs or a head, I'd be sitting in the back all the time!

ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Looks good, integrating buttons or lights has its point of difficulty.
The experience of doing it is always the best thing. Congratulations to both. :wink: