TERRIBLE VOLKSWAGEN UK SERVICE! AVOID.

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
lxm
Bronze Member

TERRIBLE VOLKSWAGEN UK SERVICE! AVOID.

Post by lxm »

Ironic this is a Volkswagen Polo forum, but here goes.....

We have experienced a horrible attitude from Volkswagen UK customer service. We have experienced timing chain faliure at 63k miles which resulted in catastrophic engine damage, this is the same timing chain failure well documented online over the whole VW petrol engine range, 2009-2013 fitted with timing chains and tensioners.

Our polo has a full service history, every 10k miles or less, with 6 full services since new. The car has 60000 miles on the clock and is 5 years old.

The cost was £1900 repair bill to rebuild the engine top half

VW describe the timing chain as a 'lifetime part' and state it is 'non serviceable'

VW Customer service offer us a free service for our troubles and say that 'car parts do fail' which is why they offer 3 year warranty.

VW customer service points out that our £1900 repair is covered with a 2 year warranty to put our mind at ease :mrgreen: :D

AVOID AVOID AVOID THESE 2009-2013 MODELS WITH THE FAULT TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER. VW UPDATED THE TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER IN 2013. THE PART FITTED AFTER MID 2013 IS PHYSICALLY COMPLETELY DIFFERENT AND A DIFFERENT PART NUMBER TO THOSE <2013. VW NORTH AMERICA, VW AUSTRALIA, VW SOUTH AFRICA ISSUED EXTENDED WARRANTY ON THESE ENGINES, AND CREATED WORKSHOP BULLETINS ADVISING THE PARTS CHANGED. VW UK DOES NOTHING.

I WILL NOW FULLY GRAPHIC SIGN MY POLO WARNING PEOPLE OF THIS ISSUE AND WILL DRIVE THIS CAR FOR A MINIMUM OF 12 MONTHS. I hope you enjoy the pictures when I have the vehicle signed.
blackertracker
Bronze Member
Drives: ..

Re: TERRIBLE VOLKSWAGEN UK SERVICE! AVOID.

Post by blackertracker »

I'd take them to court now. In UK consumer law you have 6 years to claim for goods that are not of satisfactory quality, which I would say this clearly is.

Note that BMW have now finally issued a recall on their faulty N47 engine timing chains & tensioners. It's high time VW followed suit.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

VW Switzerland gave me a full new 1.2TDI engine after the timing belt (not chain) failed after 60.000 miles.

They're not all that bad but I do understand your frustrtation.
Mayhem
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 polo 1.2 tsi

Post by Mayhem »

My 1.2 tsi is almost due a service, has done 47k miles and im considering asking them to do the chain, i believe the new chain is better is it not? Dont understand how they never did a recall as there seems to be plenty of issues out there, not just the polo but general Vag group. Any one have ideas on price of new chain?
lxm
Bronze Member

Post by lxm »

Its the tensioner which was updated, but the whole system should be replaced if updating. I have read that dealers can fit the new system for around £900 :lol:
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

lxm wrote:Its the tensioner which was updated, but the whole system should be replaced if updating. I have read that dealers can fit the new system for around £900 :lol:
Yes but with different engine types it seems different root causes of camshaft drive system failure, I don't know which engine you have, but I'm guessing it is the original type 3 cylinder 1.2 engine, and as far as I've picked up, it was a tensioner design/build issue. The later 4 cylinder 1.4TSI and 1.2TSI engines ended up being fitted with a badly designed chain, which the chain manufacturer revised in the light of failures - there is a VAG workshop picture available on the web for anyone to look at, it shows early duff chain and later better chain.

Another example of VAG mistakes was the oil pump drive system on the early 2.0TDI CR engines, pistons on some 2.0TFSI engines and some 1.4TFSI engines - it does go on and on a bit.

I can't explain why I'm stepping out of my comfort zone and got wife to order herself a 1.2TSI 110PS engine, maybe some times you have to trust that they have got something right - or are willing to attempt to get justice if that engine messes up!

Edit:- ah I see that it is the 1.2 3 cylinder engine from reading the other thread! I would have expected VAG to have improved things on that engine in a 2010 car as it had been in use since 2002 in a similar form.
Mayhem
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 polo 1.2 tsi

Post by Mayhem »

£900! Think I will risk it holding out! That's Ridiculous! My renaultsport was cheaper than that to have its belts replaced and no one except dealer wanted to touch that cause they are a pain.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Mayhem wrote:£900! Think I will risk it holding out! That's Ridiculous! My renaultsport was cheaper than that to have its belts replaced and no one except dealer wanted to touch that cause they are a pain.
Not quite a fair comparision, your Regie was getting its belt kit replaced, the OP has a chain driven camshaft and the £900 would have covered replacing the chain, tensioners, guides,dampers, probably chain cover assembly etc and maybe more for revised parts.

Maybe a "user warning" :- the original 1.2TSI engine and the new 1.2TSI engines are both built by Skoda in CZ.
chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

My 1.2 TSI has recently developed a problem..

Did my own service on it - Oil + Oil Filter and Spark Plugs..

Took it for a drive, was fine for 10 minutes, then limp mode was activated after a few mis-fires, then (after running VCDS Diagnostics) cylinder 1 had multiple misfires, so the car shut down cylinder 1.

Taking it into VW soon to find out whats happening as its only misfiring in idle.. Soon as I accelerate.. Its fine.

Im hoping it isnt the timing chain - couldnt find anything online relating to it. Any links would be much appriciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tooks
Bronze Member
Drives: 2011 Polo GTI

Post by Tooks »

chrispy. wrote:My 1.2 TSI has recently developed a problem..

Did my own service on it - Oil + Oil Filter and Spark Plugs..

Took it for a drive, was fine for 10 minutes, then limp mode was activated after a few mis-fires, then (after running VCDS Diagnostics) cylinder 1 had multiple misfires, so the car shut down cylinder 1.

Taking it into VW soon to find out whats happening as its only misfiring in idle.. Soon as I accelerate.. Its fine.

Im hoping it isnt the timing chain - couldnt find anything online relating to it. Any links would be much appriciated.

With those symptoms it's much more likely to be a coil pack problem I think.

My old S3 fried a coil pack on more than one occasion and often after a spark plug change. It's like the new spark plug puts the packs under more pressure.

You did use the correct spark plug grade when you did your mini service I presume?
chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

If thats the case.. Wouldnt it shut down all 4 cylinders? Why only one cylinder misfire?
Dodgy spark plug..
I just went online and it filtered down vis my number plate.. I assumed they were preset to go in.

Comparing them to original plugs.. The new ones were shorter..

blackertracker
Bronze Member
Drives: ..

Post by blackertracker »

chrispy. wrote:If thats the case.. Wouldnt it shut down all 4 cylinders? Why only one cylinder misfire?
Dodgy spark plug..
I just went online and it filtered down vis my number plate.. I assumed they were preset to go in.

Comparing them to original plugs.. The new ones were shorter..

No, it wouldn't shut down the whole engine.

Try swapping the coil pack on cylinder 1 with cylinder 2. If cylinder 2 then misfires you know the coil pack is faulty.

Edit: your engine isn't coil-over-plug so swap the ignition leads instead. I see you've done that now in the other thread and turns out it was faulty, good news :-)
Last edited by blackertracker on Tue May 05, 2015 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

I did try this.. But both started misfiring..

chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

I noticed when I took one cable out.. It had greeny turquoise powder in the socket on the distributer..

chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

Also.. We have taken the cables out and tested them .. All given off 9 k ohms..