Polo started making a strange noise after turnover.

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
coffee_king
Getting There!
Drives: 1.2 TSi

Polo started making a strange noise after turnover.

Post by coffee_king »

Hey all
My 1.2 TSI has started to make a strange noise after it turns over (Sometimes).
Its kind of like a really loud rattle and occurs for about a second then it goes away and all is fine again.
Its coming from somewhere at the front of the vehicle.

Any thoughts?
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Re: Polo started making a strange noise after turnover.

Post by vc-10 »

Timing chain tensioner? Are the 1.2 TSIs chain? Just spitballing really, sorry
Malcolm Scott
New
Drives: 2010 (60) 1.2 SEL TSI

Post by Malcolm Scott »

Difficult to say without hearing the noise, but it could be bearings rattling slightly before oil pressure builds and forms a "cushion" between the two surfaces.

That sounds somewhat alarming, but provided it does indeed disappear after a second or two, probably nothing to worry about.

Have you checked the oil level?

vc-10, I believe the 6R TSI engines used a chain. The (post-facelift) 6C uses a belt.
Last edited by Malcolm Scott on Fri May 08, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

A warning of a failing oil pump perhaps, oil drains back from pump and engine is starved before oil pressure is built up. Have you had an oil and filter change recently, if so check that the correct VW filter has been installed.

Hope it's not too serious.
coffee_king
Getting There!

Post by coffee_king »

Hi
Ive checked the oil level (I check it monthly) and its OK.
It was a bit low the last time I checked so I put a lot in (Ive been on a driving holiday). Now its to half way on the dipstick, whch is a little odd to me.
Its not leaking any oil thats for sure.

Its due an oil change and a service TBH.
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Post by wolfie »

My 1.2 Tsi (6R0) does the same. Has done it from day 1 and its 4 years old now.

Occasionally at start-up it makes a sort of rasping noise for a fraction of a second, especially if the car has been standing for a few days. I think the timing chain has a tensioner which I think is kept under tension by oil pressure. Bare in mind the oil is pretty light grade in the Polo, it just takes a fraction of a second to build pressure. If it makes the noise when running I'd be investigating but at start-up I don't think it's anything to worry about.
daveb73
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 6R 5 Door

Post by daveb73 »

Yep, I've read about the chain tensioner too, it does require oil pressure so I'm guessing that's the noise you're hearing for the first few seconds.
lxm
Bronze Member

Post by lxm »

TIMING CHAIN & TENSIONER!!!

I had the same sound, A rasping/rattle sound on start-up which would go away after a few seconds, my timing chain slipped casuing £1900 worth of damage, take it to a garage ASAP

The VW master mechanic who rebuild my engine at a dealership reffered to a rattle being the indication of tentioner issues...... although VW UK denies any knowledge of any fault.

Search "DEATH RATTLE" on youtube.....
coffee_king
Getting There!

Post by coffee_king »

Hi
This noise, just after ignition, that then sort of revs itself up then then drop off after about 2-3 seconds is still happening on my Polo.
It does seem to do this more on its first start of the day (I sometimes also dont drive it for days at a time)

Its not these "Death rattles"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFbvslmwr9U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPKrTdA5uLk

Does anyone have any further thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

Holy thread resurrection...!!!

First post Fri May 08, 2015 1:55 pm

Pops back Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:08 am

You been abducted by aliens and lost 3 years???

As has been said above, my money would be on a noisy cam chain at start-up.
coffee_king
Getting There!

Post by coffee_king »

Ha, yeah.
Its not worried me for the past few years too much, I just think its gotten a bit louder and more often of recent.
TBH I'm glad we can resurrect on this forum, I hate the ones where you cant.
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

To be fair, mine has had a rattle on start-up for about the same length of time, just not bitten the bullet yet to get it done.

I was actually in contact with a chap on Monday who was recommended as being very good with diagnostics and fault finding, but who is generally very knowledge about all things VAG. Apparently the 3 cylinder engines are even more problematic that the CBZ engines and he's done tons of those, while only a few CBZ.

With just a 30 second look under the bonnet on mine he spotted that I'd had the recall for the turbo actuator done and I had the correct oil filter fitted. Some filters have non-return valves in so they help maintain the pressure on the back of the cam-chain tensioner. The filters without the valve make matters much worse.
coffee_king
Getting There!

Post by coffee_king »

I didnt hear about recall for the turbo actuator. Although I have no idea where/why I would have heard about this.
Is this something I need to do you think?

I'm going to assume I have the right oil filter as it was done at a VW servicing, repair & tuning garage.

How would I know if I have the "Correct" oil filter by looking?

Also how would I know if I'm buying one in the future that it DOES have the non-return valves if I end up changing the oil on the car myself as I am from now on?

ta
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

The turbo actuator mod was only for the early cars as far as I know, could be yours doesn't require it. What year is yours?

I'm assuming it's 105 bhp version with CBZB engine. Easiest way to make sure you get the correct filter is buy a genuine filter. They will just look up your reg. and supply the correct version. Once you've had a look at the part number you should be able to buy the correct OEM equivalent, but is it really worth it for the sake of a few quid? Just buy genuine.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I normally agree about only buying VW branded oil filters, but it seems that with my Audi S4, the VW Group branded filter is a MANN XYZz so I just buy a genuine same MANN filter in a MANN box instead of a VW Group box.

With the 6C Polo with the 1.2TSI 16V engine, it is again MANN that gets fitted by the dealer, a grey painted filter can with the MANN part numbers written on it, so I have bought the same grey painted filter with the same MANN part numbers on it but in a MANN box instead of a VW Group box.
That car came from the factory with a black painted filter can which means that it was a Mahle version, so it looks like either VW Group have changed their supplier or engine plant uses Mahle and dealership parts department only ever receive MANN versions?

Edited to correct, ie change "buy" to "but"!
Last edited by RUM4MO on Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.