Composition Media forgetting settings / stopping shuffle

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
weezul
New
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI 95se 2018

Composition Media forgetting settings / stopping shuffle

Post by weezul »

Hey guys,
I have a new Polo 6c 1.4 TDI , and it seems to be working okay, apart from the composition media radio. I am a musician and so any audio issues are very annoying!!

Basically, I get no album art over bluetooth. Fine, I can live with that (even though the same phone on the demo car I drove, worked a treat).

The bigger problem is that the radio seems to 'forget' it's settings every time I turn it on. I have about 60GB of music connected to a USB 2.0 device. Sometimes, the car will turn on and just start on a completely random track rather than where I left it. Other times, it has to rescan the library on the key, so the device freezes for a couple of minutes, and I can't search the library at all, and will start from the first track on the first folder again.

If i then choose to shuffle all available tracks, it will maybe shuffle for two tracks, and then the third time, shuffle stops, and it continues through the folder it's currently on. This is super annoying, and the shuffle icon is lit up red. If i press it off then on again, it will shuffle a couple more tracks and then on the third or so track, stays on the album folder and stops shuffling.

I think it could be something to do with a CMOS battery in the unit? Is this how it would store any information it remembers? I don't have my car right now (some bastard keyed it so it's getting fixed) but I could provide firmware numbers tonight.

Is it worth calling my dealer and asking for a firmware upgrade? This is really frustrating. It could be to do with the bluetooth of my phone also. It seems much more 'laggy' when my phone is connected. Sometimes the audio stutters if I use bluetooth audio, (I have bluetooth audio off for now) and i'm also getting frequent disconnect/reconnect on my phone. I even changed the ROM on my phone, and went from Android KitKat to Lollipop in the meantime to see if it made a difference.

It's really starting to frustrate me! anyone else had similar issues? Or even know if it's possible to upgrade the firmware ?
Guy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI

Re: Composition Media forgetting settings / stopping shuffle

Post by Guy »

Most times my USB play restarts from where it left off. But occasionally it does revert to first folder first track. I haven't been able to establish any sort of pattern to it. It's not frequent enough to be a real nuisance.

The same can happen with the SD Card.

All my music is organised in folders which are named according to a Genre/Artist/Album/ hierarchy so it's pretty easy to manually select what you want to hear without waiting for the unit to establish its database view which presumably is generated from the individual file mp3 tags. But even that process is very quick. I am using a 64 GB USB3 stick which should be much faster than a USB2 stick and might explain why. Likewise I am using a very fast SD Card.

I haven't used the shuffle feature.

I'd hope that if there is a CMOS battery it is protected by the car's 12V supply in the same way as a main laptop battery protects its CMOS battery from discharge. The CMOS battery in a laptop may eventually fail but as long as the laptop battery retains a charge all should be OK. With a laptop, even if both batteries fail you should still be able to enter the BIOS and re-establish settings having installed a new CMOS battery. How this would work with a Composition Media Unit I don't know but maybe it would start up normally with everything reverted to factory settings. But perhaps it doesn't use CMOS but rather internal permanent Flash memory instead? Would make more sense.
weezul
New

Post by weezul »

Thanks for the reply.

My music is also in folders, but is it too much to ask for the thing to just work as advertised? Or even as the screen is labelled? There's also a setting for 'Shuffle between all folders' which is on.

It's looking like I'll have to ask my dealer. I'm still new to owning a car. Would they look at this for me? Or would they give me the run-around? I have a two-year service plan, as part of my payment, and also I think the car has a 1 year warranty on non-wearable parts.
idriveapolo

Post by idriveapolo »

They (VW) will just give you the run around, they (and everyone else) know the stock unit is just a piece of junk, too bad they put essential car controls in the later ones to discorage one from doing the decent thing by just ripping it out
weezul
New

Post by weezul »

hard to disagree! They never did fix mine. I've since moved on to polo 1.0 95se 68 reg, and android auto. Seems a bit better, but still android auto has it's own problems especially with huawei phones