Front Bumper Shut Lines

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
daveb73
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 6R 5 Door

Front Bumper Shut Lines

Post by daveb73 »

Having just had my front bumper off and back on the car, I've noticed that it doesn't quite line up under the front wing/wheel arch area (behind the headlamps). The gap/shut line is not equal all the way along, it's slightly wider from behind the headlamp, and as you move to the edge of the wheelarch/wing it gets closer together. It's really very minimal and it's probably my OCD kicking in, but I've noticed on another Polo that this gap is perfectly even.

From what I can tell there is no way of adjusting this as it is all clips here, they just push/clip in. I didn't brake or damage any of these clips and it all snapped back into place nicely, it's just not as aligned as it was before I removed it.

Here's an imige from Google of the area I'm talking about (where the bumper lines up with the wheelarch/wing behind the headlamp):

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb4 ... 029c7f.jpg

Any ideas?
Norbreck21a
Silver Member

Re: Front Bumper Shut Lines

Post by Norbreck21a »

Sorry, can't tell you how to adjust it, but just checked the wife's car and it's perfectly even for the whole length of the joint (but then I've never had the bumper off).

[url=https://flic.kr/p/w9j7sK]Image
Mart!n-GTI-DK
Platinum Member
Drives: '14 Polo BlueGT

Post by Mart!n-GTI-DK »

Off with the bumper again and back on... Something must not be sitting correctly.
daveb73
Getting There!

Post by daveb73 »

I think my OCD is kicking in, it doesn't look that bad really, there's no way I'm taking the bumper off for another try either!
Last edited by daveb73 on Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

I think it is a minor problem that can be corrected easily. I had to correct on my R-line http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen/ ... nstalling/

QC???? Image... :lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_control
daveb73
Getting There!

Post by daveb73 »

Hi ciclo, how did you correct this then? Thanks
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Hello daveb73,

- Remove all the screws 3 and 4 on the side that you need to correct.
- Now you must properly fit the bumper.
- Retighten the screws, starts with screw 3 and ends with screws 4.

This way I did. :wink:
daveb73
Getting There!

Post by daveb73 »

Thanks for the info ciclo but I'm not sure how unscrewing then rescrewing the fixings back in will help here.

Each side of the bumper has four tabs that click into place just below the leading edge of the front wings. You can't really install the bumper incorrectly here as you align the tabs and they audibly click into place onto tangs and hold the bumper snugly below the wing.

It's just that the front-most tab fixing seems to have dropped ever so slightly on each side even though it's definately engaged with the tang.

To be fair I have seen a number of other Polo's showing a slight gap here, but being OCD I'd like to get this a perfect fit, so if anyone has any ideas on this please do share!

Thanks
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

sbarker555uk
New
Drives: gti

Post by sbarker555uk »

On my gti on passenger side there seems to be about 2m m gap now appeared between wing and bumper shut line . Driver side OK and I have only 500 miles in car from new Sure it was not like it it's only minimal but driver side is completely flush. What could have moved to cause this? It feels solid not loose? Anything I could check?
sbarker555uk
New

Post by sbarker555uk »

Anyone else have a gap here and can see little black sort of tab? I undid the performance tried to lift bumper to close gap but no difference how can I see align and close this gap? I am not sure how it has happened could a pothole or something loosen it up and seems to be dropped somehow? Any photos of the wing and how bumper attaches please?
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Bumper and wing shut lines on my Polo GTI are even and tight with no gaps. Is there any possibility that another car may have nudged your bumper while they were undertaking a parking manoeuvre in front of your car to cause the larger gap between bumper and wing? Are there any signs of damage on any other part of the bumper?

Forum member ciclo posted a diagram of the fixing points for the front bumper of the Polo 6r earlier in this thread. I assume this would be the same for the 6c.
sbarker555uk
New

Post by sbarker555uk »

No possibility of damage at all. I park garage home. Garage at work. Not been anywhere else at all. It's sort of just happened by itself!
sbarker555uk
New

Post by sbarker555uk »

No possibility of damage at all. I park garage home. Garage at work. Not been anywhere else at all. It's sort of just happened by itself! So weird. Car has done 600miles only. Shut line is even but there is about 2mm gap between panels on passenger side. Flush completely on drive side. My car is white so can see little black tabs in gap. If car was black or dark I don't think I would have noticed. how do the fixing tabs on wing and bumper interconnect. I wonder if something just needs RE clipping in