Polo 6C 1.2 TSI Recalls..

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
MikeB2
New
Drives: 1.2tsi

Re: Polo 6C 1.2 TSI Recalls..

Post by MikeB2 »

Thanks to both of you for your comments and information. We will keep chasing VW , it just feels wrong that they knew about the fault on a limited number of vehicles, didn't make more effort to inform us (especially when they have said it was a hazard) and then wash their hands of it at the end of the Warranty.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

MikeB2 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:55 pm Thanks to both of you for your comments and information. We will keep chasing VW , it just feels wrong that they knew about the fault on a limited number of vehicles, didn't make more effort to inform us (especially when they have said it was a hazard) and then wash their hands of it at the end of the Warranty.
Well if you don't try you will not get any money back, but just remember this, VW Group knew quite a long time ago that they passed that engine fit for use then discovered that it had a design or manufacture fault, and that discovery lead to some cars being recalled to upgrade to improved parts while the assembly line would start using a revised or different pulley to get rid of this issue. So, that part is not a part that is normally replaced during a car's life time, is it was not fit for purpose. These things are what you need to talk to VW UK directly about - "not fit for purpose due to a known design or manufacturing error/fault" .

In case you do not know this, VW Group launched another engine, prior to this one, it was also known as 1.2TSI it was chain driven and had many design or manufcaturing errors/faults - they played silly beggars with people over that one, then there was the 1.4TSI Twin Charger - that one had some major design or manufacturing errors/faults - they were forced to take back quite a high percentage of these engines for modification or replacement even outside warranty, then there is the 1.8TSI and the 2.0TSI sort of similar failure mode, lots of people made them pay for that, maybe it was mainly Audis as they sit fore/aft in them. Then there is the diesel emissions problems followed by the in some engine versions, complete mess up to make them compliant.

So, VW Group, if they do not treat you well initially, or respect the fact that you have paid for one of their cars that was sold to you and not recalled to avoid it destroying itself after they had discovered it had built in problems, will and do deserve trading standards and then the small claims court action to wake them up, as you have avoided using the dealer service loop it could make things harder, but this is not a fault that has arisen due to you not using the dealer service loop - unless they can find a really creative techincal donkey to make that case and then get it laiughed out of court.

I think that an awful lot of us have been put into a situation where VW Group have supplied a product that will prove to be less than satisfactory within its working life - no car is perfect, but I feel that too many of these VW Group products are way below what should be considered as value for money, lesser cheaper brands must be laughing at us - as VW Group seem to be doing?

My record of buying VW Group products goes like this:- bought new 2000 VW Passat 4Motion, kept for 13 years 87K miles, good car but only due to it being an older Audui A4 in newer/poorer clothes : bought new 2002 VW Polo 1.4 SE, kept for 13 years 105K miles, a rat of a car as it was just a Skoda Fabia in better/dearer clothes asked for large chunks of money when only 4.5 years old : bought new 2009 SEAT 1.4 SC, asked for chunks of money when 4.5 years old and so far has cost too much to resolve known issues with BCM coding : bought second hand 2011 Audi S4, touch wood okay so far but at almost 7 years old has only run 25K miles : bought new VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS SEL, so far so good, has a liquid leak showing up on the under cover source unknown so far though not reported to dealer - yet. My only excuse for letting my daughter buy the SEAT Ibiza is that she ran an old one prior to this one and no one else will take in used SEATS, I thought that my wife wanted a Polo again for her next car, well maybe she wanted an Audi A1 but I was not up for that, so I thought that VW would have sorted out a lot of the earlier Polo issues, they have, but maybe created a few new ones - oh bother! I do own VCDS so working out why/which faults are getting logged is covered.

Edited 13/08/18 to correct some stupid spelling/typing errors!
Last edited by RUM4MO on Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Post by joe6 »

If you do go down the legal route you will not be alone. Have a look at this thread from the USA. This is seeking compensation for a known fault with no recalls and is outside the warranty period. https://defectiveconsumerproducts.wordp ... tensioner/
MikeB2
New
Drives: 1.2tsi

Post by MikeB2 »

Thank you for all this information. We will have a go at the "fitness for purpose" argument and will let you know how we get on.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

MikeB2 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:49 am Thank you for all this information. We will have a go at the "fitness for purpose" argument and will let you know how we get on.

Maybe expand on that a bit by qualifying that phrase by adding the known issue about the early variable timing inlet cam shaft drive pulley which was clearly an incorrect design or rougue manufacturer - none of that is something that you could control or influence by the way that you used it or had it maintained during your period of ownership, I'd think that you need to get all these points in with your first letter to VW UK so that you don't end up with them playing postal table tennis with you. Always send letters by some form of recorded delivery even although they will probably not sign for anything, a bit like government department tend to behave!
Paul B
New
Drives: 6C 1.2 TSI

Post by Paul B »

I’ve just had catastrophic engine failure on Polo 6C 1.2 TSI engine built Nov 2014 due to cambelt snapping, with damage to cam pulleys evident. New engine required at cost of £6,649. 3.5 months out of warranty, 22000 miles, bought new from and always serviced at Lookers VW Newcastle. History of oil leaks on engine and cambelt replacement due to oil contamination just before warranty expired. I’ve had to resort to the national press to get VW and the dealer to do anything. Still left with £830 bill. It’s being discussed in another thread - https://uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=71783

Would be very grateful for any more information about the inlet camshaft adjuster pulley problem and any other advice.