Polo 6C 1.2 TSI Recalls..

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Polo 6C 1.2 TSI Recalls..

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes I probably will, currently as you would imagine, that pulley is dry with no signs of any oil. The pipes that run across that cover are a pain in the bum though, but now that I know what is in there and what to look for, as you say, it only needs the cover tilting a bit to see what is what!
CrypticG
Silver Member
Drives: 1.2 TSI SEL (6C)

Post by CrypticG »

molar wrote:I contacted Volkswagen UK customer service on this matter and they told me that there are no outstanding recalls on my car which was built in early 2015. They also said they are unable to comment on recall campaigns which are applicable to vehicles in other markets as those vehicles may be of different specification to UK models.

So no surprises really and just waiting to hear more about this.

CrypticG you must have a really good dealer for them to have informed you about this already. Let us know how you get on.
Hey, my car went in for this recall last week, 2nd November. Took about 5 hours to complete i was told, but i also got them to update the media system software as well whilst it was in. So far all is good, and i can't tell the difference. They did say that all customers affected will be contacted at some point - just luckily i happened to be one of the first in the UK it seems.
chrisand
New
Drives: 1.2 tsi bmt comfortline 5 gear-6/2014

Post by chrisand »

Hm,....

My wife's Polo had the motor crash last Monday !!! Build in june 2014..... The car is in the garage in Holland, Bergen op Zoom at VW Borchwerf.

Replacing the complete cilinder head in guarantee ! Just in time ! Hope all will be ok with the "rebuild" engine.

Chris
KiwiME
New
Drives: 2014 Cross Polo 1.2 81kW (110PS) DSG

Post by KiwiME »

Did VW not notify you of the recall?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Hopefully as my wife's is a July 2015 factory build, the engine is not involved with this problem, if that Bergen op Zoom car's problem started as a pulley failure.

From what you have seen on this Polo forum, there does not seem to have been much activity as regards a recall on these early belt driven 1.2TSI engines. Also, as I am also on the SEAT (Ibiza) forum and Skoda (Fabia) forum - nothing has ever been discussed on either of them, all of which does seem a bit strange?

Another issue on these engines, my wife's 1.2TSI 110PS makes strange noises after it has warmed up - and I'm guessing that it is coming from the EVAP solenoid convoluted pipe that connects to the cars EVAP canister, that has never been discussed on this Polo forum or the Ibiza forum - only on the Fabia forum, where a normal rubber pipe is used to stop that noise as the original convoluted hard plastic one seems to be tuned accidentally to produce that noise - all very strange?
MikeB2
New
Drives: 1.2tsi

Post by MikeB2 »

Not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but as the engines with this fault are now out of warranty, perhaps there will be some more interest. We have a Golf 1.2 TSi which unfortunately we did not have serviced by a VW Dealer. Just out of warranty and 35k miles the tensioner pulley bolt came loose and very quickly damaged the cylinder head with a resulting major oil leak and a £3,000 repair bill. No interest from VW even though the same issue (They refer to 15E7 service campaign) resulted in a safety recall in Australia and we understand also Canada. Also, VW seem to have taken full responsibility for similar issues in Germany. Has anyone else had this? Or any ideas on how to get more support from VW?
KiwiME
New

Post by KiwiME »

The campaign is about screws loosening on the intake cam pulley, nothing to do with the tensioner as far as I'm aware.

As you certain as to the failure specifics and have VW confirmed that your vehicle was affected by the 15E7 campaign?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

MikeB2 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:09 pm Not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but as the engines with this fault are now out of warranty, perhaps there will be some more interest. We have a Golf 1.2 TSi which unfortunately we did not have serviced by a VW Dealer. Just out of warranty and 35k miles the tensioner pulley bolt came loose and very quickly damaged the cylinder head with a resulting major oil leak and a £3,000 repair bill. No interest from VW even though the same issue (They refer to 15E7 service campaign) resulted in a safety recall in Australia and we understand also Canada. Also, VW seem to have taken full responsibility for similar issues in Germany. Has anyone else had this? Or any ideas on how to get more support from VW?

Hi, can you tell us the engine code of that engine in your Golf please, thanks.
MikeB2
New
Drives: 1.2tsi

Post by MikeB2 »

Golf mk7, registered May 2014
Engine no. is CJZB516893
4 cylinder, 1197cc, 83 bhp

Below is exactly what the Dealership technician put on his technical report:
Bolt for the inlet camshaft adjuster has come out and has damaged the camshaft carrier and the cylinder head which is now leaking engine oil. new camshaft carrier and cylinder head and also the cam belt has been concatenated with engine oil so this needs replacing along with the tensioner as well.

VW confirmed in writing that this had been the subject of a "Service Campaign" in the UK. The dealer told us it was 15E7, but not in writing.

We have found details of a 15E7 recall in Australia saying "the pulley on the camshaft adjuster can break" and stating this "May pose an accident hazard to the driver or other road users" but no safety recall in the UK.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Okay, so that is not the type of engine mentioned in the opening posting of this thread, your CJZB engine is the earlier chain driven 8 valve engine, which did have the odd issue it seems!

Curious that the VW tech mentions "cam belt" - though maybe that is a mistake?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Well, I checked up all possible meanings for concatenated, and they all lead to chain, or the word chain comes from concatenated, so was that word mean to read contaminated and software did a correction? A belt contaminated with oil is not good and so would need replacing, if it was a belt, though any rubber reinforced drive belt that had been removed during its service life in that position/task, would be replaced after opening up that part of an engine as a matter of course.

So, I'd think that you need to get back to that garage and ask them what exactly did fail, I'd think that it would be the chain tensioner assembly along with a stretched and/or floppy crap chain.

Edit:- bare in mind that a bolt coming loose in a cam shaft drive pulley is a known, it seems potential failure for the very early versions of the CJZC and CJZD 16 valve belt driven engines.
KiwiME
New

Post by KiwiME »

MikeB2 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:07 pm Golf mk7, registered May 2014
Engine no. is CJZB516893
4 cylinder, 1197cc, 83 bhp
Below is exactly what the Dealership technician put on his technical report:
Bolt for the inlet camshaft adjuster has come out and has damaged the camshaft carrier and the cylinder head which is now leaking engine oil. new camshaft carrier and cylinder head and also the cam belt has been concatenated with engine oil so this needs replacing along with the tensioner as well.
VW confirmed in writing that this had been the subject of a "Service Campaign" in the UK. The dealer told us it was 15E7, but not in writing.
We have found details of a 15E7 recall in Australia saying "the pulley on the camshaft adjuster can break" and stating this "May pose an accident hazard to the driver or other road users" but no safety recall in the UK.
OK, that is the same EA211 engine type as mine but the lower power "B" version rather than "D". They are a belt-driven cam and were subject to the 15E7 campaign in NZ and Australia. In NZ, I received a phone call only, which I thought was odd. I was told about 40 cars were affected in this country. Most are Polos but there are a few grey-market Golfs here as well.
I'm assuming you are the original owner and they would have had your contact phone number and address?
If VW are not willing to step up to the plate then it is worth checking out any applicable consumer laws.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I think if you look up any official VW Group web based parts listing thing, you will find that the belt driven engines are CJZC 90PS O/P and CJZD 110PS O/P, the earlier engines coded as CBZA 8?PS O/P and CBZB 105PS O/P are the chain driven versions of an earlier 1.2TSI 8V engine, unless I'm making a very big mistake.

Edit:- I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong here, I'm just as a CJZD engined car owner, a bit concerned about these issues.

Another Edit:- to correct the engine codes of the earlier engines.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I've rechecked thing sand corrected my mistake concerning the engine codes of the early chain driven 1.2TSI - from CJZA and CJZB to CBZA and CBZB.

But I can't find any reference to a CJZB engine code in a Golf Mk7 - yet!

Okay, I stand corrected, CJZA and CJZB were fitted to Golf Mk7 and are belt driven 1.2TSI 16V engines, sorry for any confusion.

So this is a known issue for some early engines, not having that car within the dealer service network will probably work against you in as much as VW dealers would know about this possibility - but maybe the non VW garages should be keeping their ears to the ground?
KiwiME
New

Post by KiwiME »

Came up first item on google: https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Golf_VII

If your build date is later than mid-2014 you likely don't have anything to worry about.

To keep up with your edited post, yes, you would need to have VW check your VIN otherwise rely on them calling you.