Polo 6C 1.2 TSI Recalls..

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
CrypticG
Silver Member
Drives: 1.2 TSI SEL (6C)

Polo 6C 1.2 TSI Recalls..

Post by CrypticG »

Hi guys,

Just had a call from my VW dealer (Wigan, UK), to say that my car a 2014 Polo 6C (built week 22 - June 6th), with the 4 cylinder - 1.2TSI engine has been identified by head office for having a 'potential weakness with the camshaft'. He described it as an issue with the adjuster pulley which may break, resulting in oil loss, damage to engine internals and a stalled engine, resulting in the car becoming immobile.

I have searched online for the information and so far only found this.. http://topcar.co.za/news/news-articles/ ... -affected/

This has me worried as i often drive the car on motorways through long distances, to and from temporary places of work. The car has just over 7800 miles on the clock and it seems like a new camshaft is a pretty big job! I was also informed that the job is roughly 5 man hours to replace, and also requires a software update - hmm...

Just wondering if anybody else has had a phone call from their dealer?
Last edited by CrypticG on Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisshorter
New
Drives: 2015 BLUE GT

Re: Polo 6C 1.2 TSI Recalls..

Post by chrisshorter »

Hi,

Done a bit of searching around after seeing your post and everything I have read about it says that it's only models in Australia that have been affected and been recalled.

Did your local dealer say whether vw are issuing a recall in the uk aswell?
KiwiME
New
Drives: 2014 Cross Polo 1.2 81kW (110PS) DSG

Post by KiwiME »

My mid-2014 build Cross Polo 1.2 81kW is going in on Oct 30th for this recall. I didn't get a letter about it.
There is very little discussion on the Aussie watercooled board despite over 2700 cars affected.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Some thing not right here, as far as I know, there is only one engine plant building these engines and it is in CZ ie probably a Skoda controlled plant.

So, if my statement above is true, how can this only affect Oz market cars?

Also the document date is May 2015, is if this was known at that time, are all later engines clear from this issue?

It never rains but it pours!
CrypticG
Silver Member

Post by CrypticG »

chrisshorter wrote:Hi,

Done a bit of searching around after seeing your post and everything I have read about it says that it's only models in Australia that have been affected and been recalled.

Did your local dealer say whether vw are issuing a recall in the uk aswell?
Hi, yes whilst he did say that no UK cars have been affected so far, it is starting to cause more concern and they have 'identified a number of models' which have the defect. No further information as of yet - took me by surprise as well. But from what i gather, and the way it came across, a UK recall will begin to take place for affected models with the 1.2 TSI engine. Mine is due in for re-call on 2nd November.
Last edited by CrypticG on Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrypticG
Silver Member

Post by CrypticG »

RUM4MO wrote:Some thing not right here, as far as I know, there is only one engine plant building these engines and it is in CZ ie probably a Skoda controlled plant.

So, if my statement above is true, how can this only affect Oz market cars?

Also the document date is May 2015, is if this was known at that time, are all later engines clear from this issue?

It never rains but it pours!
I have updated the post, my car was built June 2014 - (oops).. Not sure how much information is known about this - i tried to probe for more but didn't really get much from it. Mine is booked in on 2nd November, i may phone back tomorrow for clarification of exactly what is to be done, as i was caught a little off guard before when contacted.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Thanks for updating me on your DOM correction, I was worried a bit there, though am still concerned for anyone that might have that issue.
Basko
New
Drives: Polo 6C 1.2TSI

Post by Basko »

My Polo was recalled last month because of that. To be exactly when I went for first service they said me that this need to be changed, they ordered it for next day, took 2-3 hours to change it.
They are not changing the camshaft, only pulley... (but also lot of work)
On the internet only Australian Polos are mentioned, but it looks like European Polos are also affected.
It looks like they are hiding this recall in Europe
Polo is built in september 2014, 1.2TSI 66kw assembled in Spain
Last edited by Basko on Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KiwiME
New

Post by KiwiME »

Despite there being nearly zero interest in this thread, I'll add that this campaign (15E7) was applied to my Polo last week. They left no evidence of any serious work and I'm guessing only the plastic cover over the cam sprockets was removed.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

KiwiME wrote:Despite there being nearly zero interest in this thread, I'll add that this campaign (15E7) was applied to my Polo last week. They left no evidence of any serious work and I'm guessing only the plastic cover over the cam sprockets was removed.
Yes I agree with you there, I would have expected all 1.2TSI engine car owners would have chipped in, though maybe not that many belt driven 1.2TSI car owners on this site yet.

I have to add, I have not seen anything on the Seat and Skoda (Ibiza and Fabia) forums yet, and they all use these engines, and as far as I know VAG only build that range of engines at one site for their world market - though I could be wrong there.

(edited to change known to know!)
Last edited by RUM4MO on Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
KiwiME
New

Post by KiwiME »

Surprisingly there is even less interest on the Aussie site http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/ ... ost1158940

I pulled the belt cover to check the dealer's work and it all looks clean. The belt was a bit looser than I would have expected but perhaps it tightens when the block and head are at operating temperature. The tensioner is hard to get to but I have to remember that this engine has no belt maintenance interval and replacing it would be a major job anyway. For this recall I suspect they change the intake sprocket (closest in photo) without releasing tension on the belt. The cam cover has not been removed either and overall the engine still looks untouched.
I had the car serviced as well and annoyingly they used a 10W-40 oil non-longlife. I would have prefered a 5W-30.

EDIT: I've researched this campaign further as there is much more interest and information on the german Motor-Talk board. Language translations are poor though. This is what I know so far:

The screws holding the intake cam variable timing actuator together loosen and leak oil under pressure into the belt cavity. You can lose your engine from lack of oil, or it seems (not as clearly described) that there can be valve-to-piston contact due to either cam timing being significantly out or the screws backing out, contact the head casting, breaking and knocking the belt off.

Certainly 10s or 100s of engines have failed in Germany due to the problem appearing suddenly and with little regard to kms driven.

This next pic is of the pulley type that is defective. You can easily check the status of your engine by removing the plastic cover; one T30 screw and two clips. However, it's not clear to me if all EA211 engines with the pulley design shown below are defective. But any sign of oil around the pulley is a giveaway to imminent failure.

Image Image
molar
New
Drives: 2015 1.2 TSI SEL 110

Post by molar »

I contacted Volkswagen UK customer service on this matter and they told me that there are no outstanding recalls on my car which was built in early 2015. They also said they are unable to comment on recall campaigns which are applicable to vehicles in other markets as those vehicles may be of different specification to UK models.

So no surprises really and just waiting to hear more about this.

CrypticG you must have a really good dealer for them to have informed you about this already. Let us know how you get on.
heatra
New
Drives: VW Golf

Post by heatra »

Hi

I am in Sweden and just received the recall notice for my VW Golf 2015 model. . . . .so it is spreading !

regards

heatra
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Just had a look at the pulley on my wife's Polo and it looks very like the original type, though, perhaps VAG retro fitted special modified pulleys to cars already in service, while correcting the design failing and modifying that pulley for production use on new engines?
KiwiME
New

Post by KiwiME »

Yes, that sounds plausible and likely as it would minimise the delay in production.
If the dealer is no help all you can do is keep a close eye on it until more is known. I would imagine there is a an initial small oil leakage over days or weeks that could be spotted. Lifting back the cover slightly would be enough to see that, or even just checking the perimeter of the cover without removing it.