App Connect

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
JaegerStriker
Bronze Member
Drives: 6C GTI

Re: App Connect

Post by JaegerStriker »

Dink wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:24 pm
edmountain98 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:07 am Just reading the thread, so if the 3q0035842b is fitted it needs a security code activating, to make it work, then coding in aswell as paying the ~£200 for the CarPlay activating?

Thanks in advanced
Yeah that's pretty much it.

The app connect code is what it is whether or not you have the right unit.

For me it was £40 For the unit, £60 For component protection removed then it was £80 For "coding" back to factory options.
did vw do your coding back to factory? need to get mine sorted
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

Yeah I was in for a service. So I just asked them to have a look

Said it just needed a software update but whatever ever they did sorted it.
Bammers01
New
Drives: BlueGT

Post by Bammers01 »

I know it’s probably not going to help anyone but I have to say the carconnect/Apple CarPlay option is the one option I would always spec now, and I specced mine with pretty much every option. Voice and texts all voice activated, sat nav and WhatsApp etc. Def worth the money even at the aftermarket price if you can do it.
andraski
New

Post by andraski »

Hi chaps,
I've just returned from a VW dealership when I've been informed I could have App-Connect activated on my 2015 GTI. Unfortunately I left the dealer without CarPlay running on my media unit and truly disappointed because in their words my Polo is too 'old' to get App-Connect. My car is an early 2015 (registered on 22 May), it's fitted with the unit 3Q0035874 (not sure if it's version A, B or C) and has MirrorLink although it need activation.
I'm now emailing them to check how much it would cost to have a newer unit fitted on my car with App-Connect and maybe Car-Net working. I'll keep you guys updated if I have have any success.

Cheers
andraski
New

Post by andraski »

So let's go to the facts!

My 2015 Polo GTI is an early 2015, so it left the factory before App-Connect was released. In VW words it means my car doesn't have the right head unit and wiring. The truth is that its head unit and USB port are not compatible with App-Connect and its functions (CarPlay and Android Auto).
Just to clarify, the Polo can have various versions of the Composition Media (just radio) or Discover Media (with satellite navigation). Here's a list of all those units:

:( These are NOT compatible with App-Connect:

- 3Q0 035 820 (Composition Media)
- 3Q0 035 820 A (Composition Media)
- 3Q0 035 820 B (Composition Media)
- 3Q0 035 820 C (Composition Media)
- 3Q0 035 842 (Composition Media, can have MirrorLink only)
- 3Q0 035 874 (Discover Media, can have MirrorLink only, it's the one my Polo has)

:D These units are compatible with App-Connect:

- 3Q0 035 842 A (Composition Media)
- 3Q0 035 842 B (Composition Media)
- 3Q0 035 842 C (Composition Media)
- 3Q0 035 874 A (Discover Media)
- 3Q0 035 874 B (Discover Media)
- 3Q0 035 874 C (Discover Media)

The only way to have App-Connect working on a car fitted with the units that are not compatible with it it's to replace the head unit for one of the ones that are compatible. If it left the factory before App-Connect was released (early 2015) you also have to replace the USB port for a newer compatible version. If you want an upgrade from Composition Media to Discover Media you have to replace the screen unit as well.
The real problem is that VW doesn't do that, for them it's straightforward: if your car left the factory after the release of App-Connect you can have it, otherwise they can't help. They can get you a newer head unit but they will not change the USB port to retrofit App-Connect on you vehicle. The only option is this case is to look for external companies that can do the job.

I got the head unit and the USB port of my Polo replaced for a newer version by Satnat Systems, just outside London, in Surbiton. I totally recommend them since they're very professional and extremely polite. You'll only find good reviews about them, no matter where you look. It's a bit pricey but worth the investment (specially if you have the Composition Media and want satellite navigation).

Hopefully this will be helpful to someone in the future.

Cheers
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

That's very useful, andraski.

As currently a Composition-Media-only owner, I keep assessing in detail a possible upgrade, done by myself, to satnav capability, and then the addition of a dashcam. My Polo has a 3Q0035842B unit, so could use App Connect. However, for both practical and personal reasons, I'd want to completely avoid the need for an internet phone or some other handheld computing device.

Every time I re-assess the sort of work involved in fitting satnav and dashcam, though, I find that it's where to site the GPS antenna that's always the real bugbear, as there's no proper place for one inside the Polo's dash. Obviously, the correct place for such an antenna is the car's roof, but to implement that would require a lot of work and the use of long leads and special adapters/connectors. Even the fitting of a dashcam on the windscreen isn't straightforward, because in the case of the 6R/6C Polo you have to avoid the zone that surrounds the rain sensor, particularly for dashcams with built-in GPS. I've been sufficiently frustrated by such issues that recently I decided to abandon - at least, for a while - the idea of retrofitting satnav and a dashcam. There is life without satnav and dashcam, after all!

That said, the existence of SatNav Systems brought to my attention has certainly revived my interest, especially as I'm within fairly close reach of their Surbiton premises (maybe 20 mins drive away, assuming no traffic holdups). So I've now had a good look at their website, and watched several of the videos. I see that they offer their own retrofit satnav product called SNS. However, it appears to be just as expensive as, say, the VW/Kenwood GVN-MIB1 Navigation System. And there's no mention of whether, with SNS, you get free software and map updates. I'd need to contact them and quiz them about that. But again, I suspect they'd put the GPS antenna head inside the dash, so the system would then perform just as badly as the Kenwood GVN-MIB1, in that regard.
JaegerStriker
Bronze Member

Post by JaegerStriker »

update

ive swapped out the main unit (the one in the glovebox) and ive took it into vw and they have called me back saying that they are unable to activate it and they dont know why
JaegerStriker
Bronze Member

Post by JaegerStriker »

Dink wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:45 pm Yeah I was in for a service. So I just asked them to have a look

did you ever get yours updated so app connect works?
JaegerStriker
Bronze Member

Post by JaegerStriker »

andraski wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:14 am So let's go to the facts!

My 2015 Polo GTI is an early 2015, so it left the factory before App-Connect was released. In VW words it means my car doesn't have the right head unit and wiring. The truth is that its head unit and USB port are not compatible with App-Connect and its functions (CarPlay and Android Auto).
Just to clarify, the Polo can have various versions of the Composition Media (just radio) or Discover Media (with satellite navigation). Here's a list of all those units:

:( These are NOT compatible with App-Connect:

- 3Q0 035 820 (Composition Media)
- 3Q0 035 820 A (Composition Media)
- 3Q0 035 820 B (Composition Media)
- 3Q0 035 820 C (Composition Media)
- 3Q0 035 842 (Composition Media, can have MirrorLink only)
- 3Q0 035 874 (Discover Media, can have MirrorLink only, it's the one my Polo has)

:D These units are compatible with App-Connect:

- 3Q0 035 842 A (Composition Media)
- 3Q0 035 842 B (Composition Media)
- 3Q0 035 842 C (Composition Media)
- 3Q0 035 874 A (Discover Media)
- 3Q0 035 874 B (Discover Media)
- 3Q0 035 874 C (Discover Media)

The only way to have App-Connect working on a car fitted with the units that are not compatible with it it's to replace the head unit for one of the ones that are compatible. If it left the factory before App-Connect was released (early 2015) you also have to replace the USB port for a newer compatible version. If you want an upgrade from Composition Media to Discover Media you have to replace the screen unit as well.
The real problem is that VW doesn't do that, for them it's straightforward: if your car left the factory after the release of App-Connect you can have it, otherwise they can't help. They can get you a newer head unit but they will not change the USB port to retrofit App-Connect on you vehicle. The only option is this case is to look for external companies that can do the job.

I got the head unit and the USB port of my Polo replaced for a newer version by Satnat Systems, just outside London, in Surbiton. I totally recommend them since they're very professional and extremely polite. You'll only find good reviews about them, no matter where you look. It's a bit pricey but worth the investment (specially if you have the Composition Media and want satellite navigation).

Hopefully this will be helpful to someone in the future.

Cheers
which unit did you get it replaced with and have you got app connect to work
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

JaegerStriker wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:35 am
Dink wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:45 pm Yeah I was in for a service. So I just asked them to have a look

did you ever get yours updated so app connect works?
You on the polo 6r/6c Facebook group? As I think I may have answered you on there.
weezul
New
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI 95se 2018

Post by weezul »

Just wanted to say there's loads of good info in here regarding App Connect, so thanks to all posters. I'll always regret getting my car in May 2015!!! Bastards. I'm toying with the idea of keeping the car after these 4 years of solutions are up, so if I do, I'll be looking at getting Android Auto somehow.
JaegerStriker
Bronze Member

Post by JaegerStriker »

im currently in talks with vw germany support to see if there is a way to get it and ill keep you all updated
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

JaegerStriker wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:19 pm im currently in talks with vw germany support to see if there is a way to get it and ill keep you all updated
Ask why is the upgrade now over £300 on it's own lol
JaegerStriker
Bronze Member

Post by JaegerStriker »

Dink wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:48 pm
JaegerStriker wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:19 pm im currently in talks with vw germany support to see if there is a way to get it and ill keep you all updated
Ask why is the upgrade now over £300 on it's own lol
who quoted you £300. i got quoted £200
JDX98
New
Drives: SE TSI 90 2015

Post by JDX98 »

Is the £200-£300 upgrade to get CarNet App Connect installed and activated in a Polo?