App Connect

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Bear
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 GTI

Re: App Connect

Post by Bear »

g7egt wrote:
Bear wrote:I had the App Connect installed by my dealer today, all tested and working fine. Mine is a 2016 GTI, January build slot which we collected in February.
Did you pay extra for this and how did they upgrade it? I got my car net working after a couple of attempts but the dealer has no idea about
how to get the app connect working, I have the icon in the menu.
Yeah you have to pay for it, your local VW parts department should be able to order it and service department fit it, about £220. Nobody had heard of it when I asked for it either, so I'm probably the first to have it done down here at least.
forevertom
New
Drives: GTI

Post by forevertom »

Anyone ever have issues with their CarPlay. Mine never seems to want to work properly. Tried to use Spotify earlier and it just didn't want to play any track when I selected it. The songs are downloaded in offline mode on my fine so it isn't a signal issue. I even see the artwork when I select them... just nothing happens. Eventually sorted it by unplugging phone and replugging back in but I don't think it should do that? Also had it before where tracks on Spotify start to go all slow weird and the only way to fix is unplug and replugging back in. I am using an official Apple lightening cable so no idea what's causing it.
italicBus
New

Post by italicBus »

Got an early 2016 R-Line at the weekend with 6k miles on it, and fortunately because it had the rear camera option that also meant it came with the updated MIB2 unit (3q0035842a) with the Voice button in the bottom left.

So today I took it to the dealer and got Car Net App Connect installed. Took about an hour, but everything is working great.

Total price was £215.00 - if you are quoted more, show the dealer the Tiguan section of the "Volkswagen Accessories" brochure they all have as it shows £215.00 fully fitted as the price in there.

It really does seem like if you don't have the voice button in the lower left corner then there is no way you can get it installed.

Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread and others about this - helped me make sure I only bought a car that was definitely compatible with App Connect.
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

so having got a new phone i'd like to try again and see if i can upgrade mine with app connect

hopefully vw should be able to give an answer now

i have the right head unit and i already have mirror link so it should be a simple upgrade
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

If you have MirrorLink, but no Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, then you can't get App Connect. Your info says that you've got a 2015 car, which means that the only way to get it is to replace the head unit.

App Connect replaced the option for MirrorLink, adding in Android Auto and Apple CarPlay as well as MirrorLink.
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

vc-10 wrote:If you have MirrorLink, but no Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, then you can't get App Connect. Your info says that you've got a 2015 car, which means that the only way to get it is to replace the head unit.

App Connect replaced the option for MirrorLink, adding in Android Auto and Apple CarPlay as well as MirrorLink.
replace it with what? as i have the correct model number head unit
vc-10
Silver Member

Post by vc-10 »

If your head unit is compatible with Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, then it wouldn't just have MirrorLink, it would have all three. The MirrorLink option was replaced by the App Connect option.
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

vc-10 wrote:If your head unit is compatible with Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, then it wouldn't just have MirrorLink, it would have all three. The MirrorLink option was replaced by the App Connect option.
when i ordered my car the only option was mirror link the other two were not available

and being as it can do mirror link (which i specced at the time) the difference is just a software upgrade
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Dink wrote:
vc-10 wrote:If your head unit is compatible with Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, then it wouldn't just have MirrorLink, it would have all three. The MirrorLink option was replaced by the App Connect option.
when i ordered my car the only option was mirror link the other two were not available

and being as it can do mirror link (which i specced at the time) the difference is just a software upgrade
One way to find out............although as others have pointed out, just be aware it might not be possible.

Also worth reading this thread;

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=69829
vc-10
Silver Member

Post by vc-10 »

The MirrorLink only units are not the same as the App Connect units. There are hardware differences to allow for CarPlay functionality. There's a 23 page long thread on the Fabia forum about exactly this issue. The Fabia 3 has always had the option on the mid-range SE cars and up as standard, and people were (rightfully) very annoyed when they were sold a car which they were told was upgradeable to CarPlay/Android Auto and then they were told that it couldn't be done, until the MY16 cars came along. The same goes for the Polos.
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

vc-10 wrote:The MirrorLink only units are not the same as the App Connect units. There are hardware differences to allow for CarPlay functionality. There's a 23 page long thread on the Fabia forum about exactly this issue. The Fabia 3 has always had the option on the mid-range SE cars and up as standard, and people were (rightfully) very annoyed when they were sold a car which they were told was upgradeable to CarPlay/Android Auto and then they were told that it couldn't be done, until the MY16 cars came along. The same goes for the Polos.
have you got a link to the thread i wouldn't mind having a look
vc-10
Silver Member

Post by vc-10 »

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/3 ... k-2952015/

They refer to 'Pre Week 22' cars, which are MY15 cars and before. That changeover was in May 2015. The Bolero is the equivalent unit to the Composition Media in the Polo, and the Amundsen is the Discover Media. Swing is the Composition Colour. There are differences between the Skoda and VW models- none of the Fabia systems have CD players, and they don't have the proximity sensors, but otherwise they're basically the same (just like the rest of the car!)
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

vc-10 wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 3:19 pm https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/3 ... k-2952015/

They refer to 'Pre Week 22' cars, which are MY15 cars and before. That changeover was in May 2015. The Bolero is the equivalent unit to the Composition Media in the Polo, and the Amundsen is the Discover Media. Swing is the Composition Colour. There are differences between the Skoda and VW models- none of the Fabia systems have CD players, and they don't have the proximity sensors, but otherwise they're basically the same (just like the rest of the car!)
there does seem to be a lot of talk about the unit but very few people talking about similar looking units with different hardware behind the scenes
vc-10
Silver Member

Post by vc-10 »

The Bolero is just the Skoda branded version of the Composition Media. They're the same underneath.
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

vc-10 wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 1:17 pm The Bolero is just the Skoda branded version of the Composition Media. They're the same underneath.
but there are 2 versions of the composition unit

3Q0035820A and 3Q0035842A

they are the same on the surface but i believe they are different behind the scenes