App Connect

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
CJO
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo GTi 2016

Re: App Connect

Post by CJO »

duffman wrote:Just to add a bit more confusion, my device no is 3Q0035874A. I have AppConnect factory installed.

So does that mean there are 3 versions? One with no option to AppConnect, one with the option to activate with a code, and one with AppConnect factory installed?
Probably means that 3Q00358 is the unique part perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mhgti
New
Drives: GTI MY 2016

Post by mhgti »

To be clear I'm only talking about the Composition Media head unit- NOT Discover or Discover Pro.
If you have Part number - 3Q003820A then there is NO option for entering App Connect code. Looks like you have to swap the head unit to below to get App Connect ££££
If you have Part number - 3Q0035842A then there is an option for entering App Connect code. Order it from the dealer for ~£210 for a key code in a DVD box.
georgebentham
New
Drives: Polo 6C GTI

Post by georgebentham »

OK so this is where I get annoyed :evil:

The part number I have in my car is 3Q003820A
Mine is definitely an MY16 build.

So why do I have the older head unit?
It does say in the service menu that there is an update available, but from the sounds of it, I can't see that making the app connect come available.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

this is weird as i'm looking to get app connect on my car and i've always thought it wasn't possible with my current unit.

but looking at the information i should be able to get it with my unit a 3q0035842 but i don't have the option in the menu as i do have an early build (but the unit has been changed recently)

i think i might ask the question to vw and see what they say.
CJO
Bronze Member

Post by CJO »

I was being told by VW that the DVD is used to bring the software up to a baseline version but it was enabled via the OBD port using a code created in part from the VIN number of the vehicle. Some of the advice here also seems to be from the VW Golf Forums which offer further confusion as they have the Discover Pro head units whereas we are only concerned with the composite media and discover nav head units in the VW Polos.
CJO
Bronze Member

Post by CJO »

mmmm well I just got off the phone with a VW colleague and it does appear that VW introduced the updated head unit late last year and if you don't have the icon already available then you can't enable it.

Looks like some poor comms from VW on this one.
Timmsy
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 Polo GTI

Post by Timmsy »

Just a bit of an update on this...

My 16 plate gti that was built in Feb/March came with the HU that doesn't have the option to add the app connect which really sucks
jb182
New
Drives: Bluegt 2015

App Connect

Post by jb182 »

Timmsy wrote:Just a bit of an update on this...

My 16 plate gti that was built in Feb/March came with the HU that doesn't have the option to add the app connect which really sucks
Just want to put my experience on here, I have a bluegt my2016. It has the standard colour composition media system factory installed.

I was assured by my local dealer they could activate it. So they ordered the part, I dropped it off to be installed on Wednesday. Got a call at midday to say they can't do as they mis interpreted the requirements.

I have been told that there there is NO option for this on part number 3q0035820a at present.

Obviously I'm unhappy with my local dealer at the moment but they are doing their best to make it right, which is a separate issue.

I did enquire whether changing the MIB controller would enable the option (Part number 3Q0035842A)

The response I got was saying it would cost over £2K alone for the controller and it would not be installed by VW or supported by them.

So unfortunately unless you have the updated mib or specced it at factory there is no option :-(
Timmsy
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 Polo GTI

Post by Timmsy »

What I can't understand is that cars being built in 2016 still don't all come with the updated units.
jb182
New

Post by jb182 »

Timmsy wrote:What I can't understand is that cars being built in 2016 still don't all come with the updated units.
I understand where your coming from, I did think the same when I got mine, my only thought is they are using up old stock in the factory.

It's disappointing though as I would have expected an updated unit in a 2016 vehicle.
Bear
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 GTI

Post by Bear »

I had the App Connect installed by my dealer today, all tested and working fine. Mine is a 2016 GTI, January build slot which we collected in February.
jb182
New

Post by jb182 »

Bear wrote:I had the App Connect installed by my dealer today, all tested and working fine. Mine is a 2016 GTI, January build slot which we collected in February.
Out of interest did you have any options like the rear view camera? Apparently vehicles with these got the updated head unit first.
Bear
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 GTI

Post by Bear »

jb182 wrote:
Bear wrote:I had the App Connect installed by my dealer today, all tested and working fine. Mine is a 2016 GTI, January build slot which we collected in February.
Out of interest did you have any options like the rear view camera? Apparently vehicles with these got the updated head unit first.
That's interesting... Yep, we have the camera!
nats148
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 1.8 GTI - Golf Anniversary

Post by nats148 »

My HU is 3Q0035820A H24 software 0245 - it was built Nov 2015.
g7egt
New
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by g7egt »

Did you pay extra for this and how did they upgrade it? I got my car net working after a couple of attempts but the dealer has no idea about
how to get the app connect working, I have the icon in the menu.