Doors Rattling

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Blairc2016
New
Drives: 6C SE 1.0

Re: Doors Rattling

Post by Blairc2016 »

Makes no difference for me - I'm up in Scotland. Hopefully the others can make use of your feedback, though!

How does it feel to now have the quality and refinement you paid for? :P
Guy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI

Post by Guy »

The car is back to how it was initially - ie very quiet. Strange how the noise crept up on me but once it became noticeable it was very irritating. The car's had a gentle life really - always garaged so I wouldn't have expected the felt or rubber to harden. But obviously it must have changed in some way for the noise to develop.

It is indeed a refined little car. The only time I've really noticed the engine was when I was exiting from a lay-by onto a busy dual carriageway. I had to wait a while for even a fairly short gap in the traffic so having got the car rolling in first gear with the clutch pedal fully up I pressed my right foot down some way and accelerated very quickly indeed. There was quite a roar from the engine! But in normal driving there's little engine or road noise. I really appreciate the wide torque band which makes overtaking an easy operation - basically you select third or fourth gear at the start and there's then no need to change up until you've completed the overtake.

Of course it's probably not as hushed as the very up market larger cars but it's more than good enough for me.

The technician who diagnosed and sorted the problem mentioned that he had also worked at an Audi dealership and they had the same problem with the door seals. He said that BMWs were similar. Apparently the German manufacturers use heavier door seals than some other manufacturers because they are selling into Eastern Europe and Russia where the winters can be very cold indeed and the draught proofing requirements are much greater than, say, in the UK.
polocks
New

Post by polocks »

I had the same issue, a cheaper but just as effective alternative to krytox is sonax gummipflege

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

My driver's door started creaking about a week ago. I've treated the rubber seals around the door opening and the felt seals around the window frame on the door with gummipfledge, which I already had as I used it on my mk6 Golf. Creaking / rattling doors was a common problem on the mk6 Golf - mine suffered from it. I only had to treat the seals twice in nearly 5 years of ownership on my Golf to keep the noise at bay.

Seems to have worked on the Polo; silence again :)
Parker87
New
Drives: '13 GTI

Post by Parker87 »

Guy wrote:Further to my previous post, if anyone wants to know the identity of my local dealership then if you send me a PM I'll happily disclose it in confidence. But I'd rather not put it on a public board where anyone including non-members could view it. Sorry if this seems over cautious.
I understand that Guy - no problem.
It's a bit like recommending restaurants - many places are neither consistently good, - or consistently bad.
lanciamug
New
Drives: 6C Polo GTi

Post by lanciamug »

My car was in for service yesterday and I reported the creaky door seals. The technician that dealt with the issue said that it was due to contamination of the seals and simply cleaned them. In his view the cause of the noise is that the seals have too much lubrication rather than not enough! Either way, I now have a quiet car.
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Post by Willni »

Had the same problem it was with the seat belt, took it back to vw and they fixed it (still under warranty)
Guy
Bronze Member

Post by Guy »

After nearly 18 months of quiet motoring I'd become aware that the creaking door noise was returning. So I broke open my so far unused bottle of Krytox and applied it sparingly to the door felt and rubber seals.

The result was a return to blissful silence.

I only used a little of the bottle of Krytox so there is probably enough left to outlast the life of the car if I have to repeat at 18 month intervals.
graeme
New
Drives: 2017 6C GTI, 3 door, Pure White

Post by graeme »

Guy wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:42 pm After nearly 18 months of quiet motoring I'd become aware that the creaking door noise was returning. So I broke open my so far unused bottle of Krytox and applied it sparingly to the door felt and rubber seals.

The result was a return to blissful silence.

I only used a little of the bottle of Krytox so there is probably enough left to outlast the life of the car if I have to repeat at 18 month intervals.
Hi Guy, thanks for bumping this thread - my Polo's giving me a feint rattling sound from what sounds like behind the seat belt anchor and it's driving me mad. Is the part number for the Krytox G052172A1, and is application simple?
Guy
Bronze Member

Post by Guy »

Hi - just spotted this so sorry for delay.

I just checked my purchase paperwork and G052172A1 is the number on it.

It's easy to apply - but do it sparingly. I spread it with my fingers as it's supposedly non toxic. A little goes a long way.
Guy
Bronze Member

Post by Guy »

I also checked the number on the actual bottle - G052172A1. Before use, just snip off the last little bit of the plastic nozzle so that you can squeeze out the contents but also so that the cap will make an airtight seal after use.

I bought mine from a VW Dealer on eBay - there seem to be quite a few selling it there.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

graeme wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:04 pm Hi Guy, thanks for bumping this thread - my Polo's giving me a feint rattling sound from what sounds like behind the seat belt anchor and it's driving me mad. Is the part number for the Krytox G052172A1, and is application simple?

I'd think that it is something else that is causing that rattle from the top seatbelt fixing/adjustable loop area, my wife's August 2015 Polo SEL has had that off and on for all its life, I'd think that the door pillar plastic trim piece needs to be taken off to sort that out.

Edit:- I don't mind being wrong though, in fact it would be better for both of us if I was wrong, so please prove me wrong and sort out your car at the same time - then I'll follow your lead!
Guy
Bronze Member

Post by Guy »

I originally thought that the sound might have been coming from the seat belt fixing but in my case the application of Krytox to the door felt and rubber sorted the problem completely. It was quite hard to determine the precise origin of the noise - to the right of my head and behind was as close as I could get.

The Krytox solution doesn't involve getting any tools out so, although it's expensive stuff, I'd be inclined to try that first. Especially as modern cars seem to be designed to defeat the average spanner wielding amateur like myself. Not to mention warranty issues.
pipsyp
Getting There!
Drives: Pure White 6C GTi 3 door manual

Post by pipsyp »

I have a rattle eminating from the top corner of the door trim where it meets the rear of the door towards b pillar. Any bass through the speakers tends to reveal it. Tis a 3 door by the way.

Its like something is lose in there or that the trim is vibratinf against something metallic. Asked the dealers to look at it but typically they couldnt replicate it, despite me being very clear on it and how to make it happen.

To be fair kind of glad as in hindsight Id rather just live with it rather than have them take the door apart to either end up not fixing it, damaging the trim or making it worse.

Mentions of GummiPfledge....great stuff have a couple of applicator bottles on the shelf....occasional use on the rubbers keeps everything sweet. Whats all the more amazing about it is how it rejuvinates what appears to be knackered rubber...more often than not brings it up like new!
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I’ve also experienced creaking doors on my GTI. GummiPfledge applied twice in 20 months of ownership to the seals around the upper doors and the rubbers around the door frames silenced the creaking noises.

The effects of GumiPfledge are probably not as long lasting as Krytox, but as I already had some GumiPfledge from when I owned my previous car (Mk6 Golf GTD) which also suffered from creaking door seals, I've stuck with it rather than buying the more expensive Krytox.

And yes, it does rejuvenate rubber and makes it look new again.